which Kimber?

I have the ascent, adirondack and a few hunters.

I like the ascent best. I prefer the longer barrel.

My ascent is shooting under 1/2 moa at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 20221013_105958.jpg
    20221013_105958.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 21

CRJR45

WKR
Well , I've taken my Kimber Hunter to the range twice now . I put a Monarch 3 I had on it , but might upgrade later .The first time was barrel break in and a few rounds to see how it shot , and I couldn't get any good groups together , really .
But I was using 150 ELDM's and RL 22 . This time I loaded up some 162 ELD's with H4831SC and it was much better . I had a few of the 150 left so I tried them and they definitely were not as good . Shooting off sandbags at 100 yards , then moved out to 200 , but only had the 150's left , so only about a four inch group at best .
I am new to reloading and don't claim to be a marksman , just a hunter . I also just put higher scope rings on it , so I had to sight it in , thus the random holes in the middle of the target

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I have the old montana in 300 wsm as well as the hunter disolve in 6.5 creed. I have also used my father in laws mountain ascent in 300 wsm.

I have not had issues with accuracy. Use barneys ttsx 165 grain handload in the 300 wsm, factory Hornady 143 grain eld-x in the 6.5 creed.

My understanding is that the action and barrels are basically the same on all of them, the stock is what is different. I can't really say I like one over the other. If I had to get one gun "to do it all" I would strongly consider getting the hunter disolve in 280 AI. Seems like they are available now and it is a lot of gun for the money. Paying 1000 bucks more for a fancier stock and some fluting doesn't make sense to me.

All kimber barrels are thin meaning at the range by the 4th or 5th shot you will start getting flyers.

CRJR45

WKR
I have the old montana in 300 wsm as well as the hunter disolve in 6.5 creed. I have also used my father in laws mountain ascent in 300 wsm.

I have not had issues with accuracy. Use barneys ttsx 165 grain handload in the 300 wsm, factory Hornady 143 grain eld-x in the 6.5 creed.

My understanding is that the action and barrels are basically the same on all of them, the stock is what is different. I can't really say I like one over the other. If I had to get one gun "to do it all" I would strongly consider getting the hunter disolve in 280 AI. Seems like they are available now and it is a lot of gun for the money. Paying 1000 bucks more for a fancier stock and some fluting doesn't make sense to me.

All kimber barrels are thin meaning at the range by the 4th or 5th shot you will start getting flyers.
You are right on the flyers , I took my Ryobi fan and keep it on the barrel , and took a lot of breaks . I shot maybe six rounds every time the range went hot .
I paid $899 for this gun at Reeds Sports .

JiminAZ

FNG
I had two early Montanas (had to be at least 15 years ago), one in 308 and one in 243. Had a very hard time getting three shot groups under 1 MOA, whether reloads or factory ammo. The 243 shot a little better. I fought it off and on for a few years. I would go to the range and shoot one shot every 20 minutes trying to control the temperature, etc. It was exasperating. At the time most of my hunting was blacktails in California, and I felt the max range we could use the guns at was about 200 yards.

Back then people were rebarreling and from what I heard, that solved it. The guns had everything but accuracy. Great action, light weight, great trigger. I looked at rebarreling but the cost after rebarrel got me up in the $1700-1800 range, so I sold the guns and bought a Cooper. Sold the Montanas to a rancher in NM who rebarrelled them and reported excellent results.

I have heard Kimber accuracy has improved since then. Haven't experienced it personally though. Had no desire to go back.

borden811

FNG
Montana 7mm-08 or hunter in 280ai would get my vote. Either one shooting 150s or 162s of your preferred flavor.