Which Lantern?

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I use to pack in a candle lantern for reading in the evening but the last 10 years or so I use my head lamp. Do any of you use Lanterns and which ones?

dotman

WKR
I'm planning on taking a uco candle lantern just so i do not eat up batts. Just have to decide on if i want the 3hr burn or 9hr.

you can get one of those round LED lights from Wallmart for a few $ they run on 4 AA batterys and are allot lighter and take up less space than any lantern I've ever seen
Tim

dotman

WKR
Oh yeah the led lanterns are around 3oz without batts, lighter to take the 3hr uco with two or three backup candles.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Why not just get yourself one of those solar driveway or sidewalk lites. They cost a buck at the dollar store and they last all nite long. Plenty of lite to read by from the little LED in them.

B

bearguide

since the advent of long lasting led head lamps, we don' t take in lanterns any more

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the little lantern by Orbit. For cooking, dressing/undressing, reading, writing, etc.

B

bearguide

so this weekend i tried out a brunton isobutane lantern with metal mantel, ti worked good and made a lot of light with its three reflectors. warms op the tent also, but still to heavy to carry on your back

Try this guy,http://store.primuscamping.com/lanterns/backpack/micronlantern-0153-w/self-igniter/ the Primus weighs 4.4 oz, I dont pack it so much for the light, but for the heat that it radiates in the morning when I wanna get out of my bag, within a couple minutes it warms my tents rite up and its that much easier to slide out of the bag. The only down fall is that you will need to brings an extra fuel cartridge....

muleman

WKR
I've been using a Campingaz 230g lantern for the past 15 years on group trips. It is really nice to have but I don't take it on solo hunts. Biggest drawback to Campingaz is the proprietary bottle.