Which Lightweight 280 AI?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Weatherby Mark V DGR in 300 Wby. I really like the rifle and it shoots really well but it's on the heavy side and I'm 65 so looking for a lightweight rifle. I thought the Weatherby Backcountry 280 AI was the defacto go to for me but after reading several reviews it took folks a lot of time and energy to get them to realize their best accuracy. If I'm going to spend that much on a rifle I think it should shoot as advertised out of the box with the right ammo. So I'm considering the Kimber Mountain Ascent and maybe a Christensen Arms. I'd love some input from those who have owned any of these. Is there anything else that should be on the short list? Thanks in advance.

Boreal

WKR
I've got a Kimber Ascent in 280 AI. I like the rifle a lot, but it won't solve your issue of not wanting to do the work to get it to its best accuracy. There are Kimber issues that need to be taken care of before it shoots as you want it to, but once it does it's a fantastic, light rifle. Mine, with Hammer bullets, is 0.5 MOA at 100 yards. At least it was before I had it dipped. Now I'm dealing with more issues that are my own fault.

280ack

FNG
Another suggestion, Sir I have been a fan of New Ultra-lite Arms, formerly known as Ultra-lite Arms for a very long time. I have an M24 (long action) in 280AI that has been a wonderful rifle for me. It is without flaws and superbly accurate. My load consistently shoots 160 NPs into 3/8-5/8 clusters. The other ULA rifles I have are equally high-performing. I believe a call to Melvin Forbes the owner, would provide a great deal of information on his build practices. He makes an outstanding product, out of the box. Just as an FYI he has been doing lite weight since the mid 70's. He set the standards and has a great industry reputation.
If I can be of any help at all, DM me.
Dave

wildcat33

WKR
I have a 280ai montana that shoots incredibly well. I bought it second hand and the lug was bedded, so perhaps the prior owner had done the preflight checklist.

For the price of a new backcountry I would buy a NULA or build off an AnTi action, manners UC stock, and #1 contour.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm rem mag that I love. I wouldn’t steer you away from that or a traverse.

I have a Savage ultralite in 280 ai that I am very quickly taking a liking to. It is very close to a 1/2” gun with 160 accubond and 61.2 gr of H4831. For the price the Savage is a good value. It does have the plastic stock without the aluminum accustock but it hasn’t bothered me. I actually prefer it so that I don’t have to baby it.

That new weatherby backcountry is a good looking rig but, I have not read up on them to any extent. The fierce carbon rifles are also intriguing but I have no experience. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

letrbuck

WKR
I have a backcountry in 280 and tried 3 different factory loads during barrel break in: Hornady precision hunter, federal terminal ascent, and federal 168 bergers. All three were easily under .75 moa, and usually under .5 moa. Zero issues with it and havent even wanted to start hand loading for it yet.. I have two hunting buddies with kimbers and they both had issues early on that requires some work to their rifles and some load development. However, they both shoot and perform great now. Kimber makes a great rifle but I hear about far more kimber lemons than I ever have weatherby lemons. Weatherby CS is also top notch

I have a Weatherby Mark V DGR in 300 Wby. I really like the rifle and it shoots really well but it's on the heavy side and I'm 65 so looking for a lightweight rifle. I thought the Weatherby Backcountry 280 AI was the defacto go to for me but after reading several reviews it took folks a lot of time and energy to get them to realize their best accuracy. If I'm going to spend that much on a rifle I think it should shoot as advertised out of the box with the right ammo. So I'm considering the Kimber Mountain Ascent and maybe a Christensen Arms. I'd love some input from those who have owned any of these. Is there anything else that should be on the short list? Thanks in advance.
If you're looking at a $2700 production rifle I would encourage you to consider having a custom built.
Specifically here's what I'd do

Defiance anTi LA $1040, 21 oz
MPI ultralight stock $800, 17 oz bedded
22" #1or 2 contoured barrel of your choice $350-$700, 32 oz
Aluminum bdl bottom metal kit $200, 4 oz
Triggertech primary trigger $150, 2 oz
You're looking at a sub 5 lb fully custom build for under $3000

Copper firearms are about as good as your going to get for the money. Worth looking into. They are a little more expensive but buy nice or buy twice

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
If you're looking at a $2700 production rifle I would encourage you to consider having a custom built.

Thank you for taking your time to provide your input. It's an avenue I would definitely consider but am lacking the knowledge of the custom parts to assemble. Who would you recommend as a gunsmith to do the build and what would be a fair price for the work?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amassi

WKR

The backcountry is like $2100 street price, and available now not 12-18 months out

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking your time to provide tour input. It's an avenue I would definitely consider but am lacking the knowledge of the custom parts to assemble. Who would you recommend as a gunsmith to do the build and what would be a fair price for the work?

I'd contact Kampfeld Customs in Idaho, he does all my work and is an honest/outstanding gunsmith.
You could just have the parts shipped to him directly.
If you're anywhere near Idaho and went with a shouldered prefit barrel I'd help you put it together and bed it for free

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd contact Kampfeld Customs in Idaho, he does all my work and is an honest/outstanding gunsmith.
You could just have the parts shipped to him directly.
If you're anywhere near Idaho and went with a shouldered prefit barrel I'd help you put it together and bed it for free
Thank you for your most generous offer but I'm in South Carolina. I will be giving a fee gunsmiths a call including the folks you recommended.

wildcat33

WKR
The backcountry is like $2100 street price, and available now not 12-18 months out

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thats a much more compelling price than MSRP. Three on gunbroker right now. I take back my previous statement. I would only go custom if I couldnt buy what i wanted from a factory offering.

Just to throw one more out there. My buddy shoots a Bergera Mountain in 280ai. I don't know if the newer 2.0 or whatever the new version of that rifle is called is still available in 280 or not. But, although his isn't super light weight (I think its about a pound heavier than my 06 Fieldcraft), it is a very accurate and easy to shoot rifle that seems to shoot about any factory load very well.