Which M700 LA Stock?

Apollo117

WKR
I have been trying to find the best budget Remington model 700 (or clone) long action stock. So far I have found the Christensen Arms Carbon Fiber Composite Sporter (who named this stock?), the Grayboe Outlander, and the B&C Medalist Ultralight Remington 700 Varmint (only available through Stocky's).

Each of these stocks is around the $300 to $350 range. They all weigh just a couple ounces over two pounds. Can anyone who has owned one or more of these stocks share your likes and dislikes about the stock(s)? Also, are the listed weights accurate to true weight?

Which would you pick and why?

*Edit: I forgot to mention that I would potentially use a Sendero or Sendero Light profile carbon barrel in one of these stocks in the future.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
If you’re looking for a solid, budget stock that will fit a Sendero barrel, the Stockys LRC is hard to beat at a little over $200 painted or a little under $200 bare. It’s not a lightweight by any stretch at ~3#+. You can only get 2 of the 3, “Lightweight, stiff, and budget” in my experience.

The LRC is injection molded but it’s fiberglass reinforced like the old Ramline from 25 years ago. The bedding block is a good base to bed to, I’ve never had a Remington that fit perfectly in a AL block without bind.

I have the M50 model from 2018 but the New Long Range Composite has a vertical grip and is a tad lighter.

I’ve ordered a few things from Stockys. I usually call them. I’ve always gotten excellent customer service there.

Last edited:

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't use the Grayboe outlander its a sporter stock, their Terrain is the one I would use and own. Stockys rifle stocks are a very good budget stock but look at the long range model not the one that look like a factory stock the barrel channel cant be opened up enough.

OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
If you’re looking for a solid, budget stock that will fit a Sendero barrel, the Stockys LRC is hard to beat at a little over $200 painted or a little under $200 bare. It’s not a lightweight by any stretch at ~3#+. You can only get 2 of the 3, “Lightweight, stiff, and budget” in my experience.

The LRC is injection molded but it’s fiberglass reinforced like the old Ramline from 25 years ago. The bedding block is a good base to bed to, I’ve never had a Remington that fit perfectly in a AL block without bind.

I have the M50 model from 2018 but the New Long Range Composite has a vertical grip and is a tad lighter.

I’ve ordered a few things from Stockys. I usually call them. I’ve always gotten excellent customer service there.
The LRC is an interesting suggestion, but it is a bit too heavy for my taste. I'll keep it in mind if I ever put together a dedicated range rifle.

OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
I wouldn't use the Grayboe outlander its a sporter stock, their Terrain is the one I would use and own. Stockys rifle stocks are a very good budget stock but look at the long range model not the one that look like a factory stock the barrel channel cant be opened up enough.
I see what you mean about the Outlander. However, the Terrain is a bit heavier than I am wanting to use for this project.

I cannot find the Stocky's rifle stock you mentioned. The only Stocky's brand rifle stocks I can find on there website either weigh well over two pounds or cost more than $350. Can you provide a link to the Stocky's brand rifle stock you mentioned, please?

OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
I believe he is talking about this one, or one of its cousins: https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...ccublockr-remington-700-premium-finishes.html

For a classic sporter style stock, I have used and like the Bell and Carlson Alaskan. It has just enough width in the forearm for a Sendero profile barrel. Skim bed it and they are a very solid stock. I haven't used the others.

jeremy
I did not know that the B&C Alaskan would accept a Sendero contour barrel. Thanks for that information.

The Alaskan may be my top contender now.

Wapiti1

WKR
I did not know that the B&C Alaskan would accept a Sendero contour barrel. Thanks for that information.

The Alaskan may be my top contender now.

It won't do it out of the box, but you can open it up enough. It would be a really off balance rifle, though.

jeremy

OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
It won't do it out of the box, but you can open it up enough. It would be a really off balance rifle, though.

jeremy
That's also good to know. Sounds like I would have to Dremmel the stock a bit and use a lightweight barrel. I appreciate the info.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
This is the stock I have and I love it, I picked mine up for 264 bucks on sale at red hawk rifles.

https://redhawkrifles.com/grayboe-terrain-fiberglass-stock-remington-700-bdl/

This is the one I would use if I wanted an ultra light stock.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocky-sr-new-ultralite-carbon-fiber-vg2tm-remington-700tm-stocks.html

This the one thats budget minded.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...ccublocks/stockys-lrc-accublock-finished.html

You cant get ultra light weight/ quality and cheap in a gun stock. As for the alaskan stock just call the manufacture and tell them you have that stock and want to put a sendero barrel in it. That stock isnt made to have anything bigger then a # 3 barrel.

Last edited: