Which Merino Wool Baselayer?

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear!!! Got the Switchback pants and the assualt shirt so far and really like it. Now if they will just run some of the merino layers. lol

Keep watching. Just last week they had the 190 merino crew shirt for $55.00.

KWest141

FNG
Keep watching. Just last week they had the 190 merino crew shirt for $55.00.

Yeahh ive dont got in the habit of checking every morning for the days deals. lol. Its kinda addicting. Do you have any of the other stuff like the Element jacket or Element pants?? Prolly gonna get the jacket but unsure on the pants. They seem kinda heavy to pack in but i may be wrong. Really like the knee pads in the Switchback pants.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Yeahh ive dont got in the habit of checking every morning for the days deals. lol. Its kinda addicting. Do you have any of the other stuff like the Element jacket or Element pants?? Prolly gonna get the jacket but unsure on the pants. They seem kinda heavy to pack in but i may be wrong. Really like the knee pads in the Switchback pants.

Yes, I have both the Element pants, and the Switchback pants. The elements are heavy, but seem to be extremely well built. The Switchbacks are much lighter, but be careful of the fit. The chart on the Switchbacks are different than on the Elements. The Elements are true to size, and extremely comfortable. The Switchbacks size chart shows medium as 30-33.5. I can tell you, they are 31 @ best. I wear a 32, and I had to return them for a large.

Both the Elements and Switchback have the knee pads. The Elements come with suspenders, and the Switchbacks have the suspenders loops, to accept them.

I'm thinking about hiking in/out with the Switchbacks, and hunting in the Elements. Hunting demands for a more durable pant IMO, and I think the Elements will more than handle it.

KWest141

FNG
Awesome!! Thats a good idea on hinking in in the Switchback and hunting in Element. Guess ill be picking up some Element pants as well. lol.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Heads up!
Camofire will have Core4Element 190 1/4 zip merino tops on sale today @ 52% off.

KWest141

FNG
Just seen that!!! Trying to decide if i wanna pull trigger on the zip top or wait till they run the crew top. Thinking i would rather have the crew top since the assualt is zip. Crew would prolly be better if i was gonna wear it under the assualt zip. Decisions Decisions!! lol

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any have a good merino wool short sleeve t in an earthy color they just dig? So far all I found is Minus 33 (in gray) for $55, and 1st Lite in Dark Earth for $60. Any other cheaper options? Thanks!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any have a good merino wool short sleeve t in an earthy color they just dig? So far all I found is Minus 33 (in gray) for $55, and 1st Lite in Dark Earth for $60. Any other cheaper options? Thanks!

Watch steepandcheap.com or try Sierra trading post or backcountry.com...we have gotten great deals on merino wool t shirts and crews from all of these places in appropriate colors, brands we have liked include icebreaker, stoic and I/O bio. The animals can't seem to tell whether my merino clothes are made by a "hunting brand" company or not :) Which is fortunate for me, since almost none of the hunting companies make merino clothing for women....

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been looking.. : ) Sierra Trading post is where I scored 2 such T shirts in a brownish color a few years back. They are getting a bit ragged and have been washed so many times the tag is gone... : ) The ones I have seen lately have all had reflective logos and such for runners... I was just hoping someone knew of something out there I was missing! : )

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
how do they compare price wise
The T's from Sierra Trading post were around $20 each. I certainly got my use of them. I tried First Lite's SS T on the other day and they have a fit I do not like. The logo and back neck has a funny design that rubs the skin. I think throwing a pack on your back would not be fun in that T. I'm leaning toward Minus 33 and a T in gray. Sure wish KUIU would make a merino T.

Another place to look is www.departmentofgoods.com it is to backcountry.com what Sams is to Walmart.

I am like Luke in that I have a bunch of brands and they all work great. For retail when I need something now minus33 is about the best deal, I really like their loose fit T's. There boxers are not for me though. I really want to find a good boxer-brief with a comfortable poly/elastic waistband. I love merino but for me it doesn't make a good waistband!!

hunting1

WKR
I have Core4, Kuiu, Kryptek, and First Lite. My favorite is the Core4. My Kuiu is nice, but getting little holes in it. I also have some from Gander Mountain I believe that is pretty nice. As said above the difference is minimal so buy the best price. Camofire is awsome!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any experience with stoic?

I have several stoic merino tops (both t shirts and longsleeves with the thumb holes), and i think Luke has a couple pair of the longjohn bottoms and longsleeved tops. We have been very happy with all of them, so much in fact that when I lost a longsleeved stoic shirt on a thru hike, I replaced it almost as soon as we got home. The same no-stink and quick drying attributes you would expect, in a superfine merino that's soft against the skin. I have found great deals on stoic gear from steepandcheap.com and backcountry.com. Just be forewarned, Stoic also sells synthetic items and it can occasionally be tough to tell if an item for sale is of the synthetic or merino variety without looking specifically at the specs/materials. We got some of their synthetic t shirts inadvertently and I wasn't nearly as impressed.

I have used KUIU and First Lite. Between the two I like the Llano of the First Lite. It is a 17.5 micron where the KUIU is an 18.5. Both are great bases but for me personally the First Lite is cooler and feels better next to my skin. KUIU excels in their outer layer pieces with the Toray. First Lite is ALL about Merino Wool and so I think the product is a little finer.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
To me merino wool is merino wool. Go with what you can find the cheapest and rock on!!! :D

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord