Which Merino Wool Baselayer?

vcb

WKR
Ok so this year I was going to try out Merino instead of my synthetic Sitka base layer this year. Which make do you guys like most? smartwool, first lite, sitka, kuiu, ibex, icebreaker???

Lawnboi

WKR
Kuiu is going to run you the cheapest retail, along with first lite. But you can find other non camo for discouted prices all the time.

All the above brands you mentioned id use happily. I have a few of them. Also check out redram, same as icebreaker.

That being said ill get more kuiu cause i want to match

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like redram being a base layer I don't care about color too much. They are still green though. Redram is a sister
Company to icebreaker.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Been using Smartwool for the last couple years. Just got some Firstlite stuff can't wait to try it out.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
I have core 4 element and really like them. Join camofire, and get daily emails on stuff they are selling that day for good discounts.
I bought 2 merino 1/4 zip 190's for $84.00. They had crew top camo 190 merino tops this morning for $55.00.

dotman

WKR
I take that back i did have 1 core4 piece, quality seemed good but it shrank big time on the first washing (reason i nolonger have this). First lite didn't shrink at all.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've tried a variety of merino wool and for the life of me can't find much difference in "feel" or quality from brand to brand. Just go with what ya find the best deal on and run with it.

I have mostly KUIU because I got it on sale. I also have a smartwool top and a ice breaker top. I prefer KUIU and FirstLite as you support hunting companies but sometimes the deals are too good to pass up.

KWest141

FNG
Who else has tried the Core4element stuff??? Gonna try and accumulate a set of this stuff from Camofire.

I really like my Smartwool and KUIU. From what I have seen the Kuiu runs a bit smaller in size than the firstlite. As in a Firstlite large is big enough for me but the Kuiu and Smartwool i tend to stick with a extra large, just something to keep in mind if you plan on ordering.