Which mounts?

I'm looking to pair to a Browning x-bolt Hell's Canyon long action with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. I'm trying to figure out which way to go with mounting the scope. I'd like to keep the scope as low as possible, so I was considering the Talley lightweights but I'm a bit concerned about getting the eye relief set right on the short scope and long action rifle. Anyone else have this combo? If so, any issues with eye relief? What height did you go with? Doing the math, I'd need mediums after accounting for Monstrum covers but I'm thinking I might could squeak by with lows due to the barrel taper.

I'm also thinking about just doing a pictanny rail and rings. I've looked at rails from Talley, Leupold, EGW, and Warne for the xbolt. I was thinking maybe the Warne Mountain Tech rail & rings. Which one would you use or are there others I should look at?

I don’t have that combo but when mounting my 50mm leupold on my weatherby high country I wanted to try Talley and gave them a call, the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable about what combination would work best. The customer service was excellent and the mounts are awesome. They have extended versions for eye relief issues too.

I have 3 Browning X bolts. All have Talley rings. I also have a longer than average LOP. I did have an issue with eye relief when mounting a Zeiss 4x16x44 scope. They have a very short tube length for mounting, something like 5.4 inches. I could not get the eye relief I needed and went with a Warne picatiney rail and Seekings rings. Perfect fit but I did not like the height of the scope. I even put a cheek pad but didn't like the fit. The 3 rifles have Talley mediums with Burris Veracity scopes (all 50 mm bell, 30 mm tube). The Burris have a much longer tube length for mounting, something like 6.2 inches. Perfect eye relief and as low to the gun as practical.

If you would like some pictures I'll be glad to send some.

OP
K
I have 3 Browning X bolts. All have Talley rings. I also have a longer than average LOP. I did have an issue with eye relief when mounting a Zeiss 4x16x44 scope. They have a very short tube length for mounting, something like 5.4 inches. I could not get the eye relief I needed and went with a Warne picatiney rail and Seekings rings. Perfect fit but I did not like the height of the scope. I even put a cheek pad but didn't like the fit. The 3 rifles have Talley mediums with Burris Veracity scopes (all 50 mm bell, 30 mm tube). The Burris have a much longer tube length for mounting, something like 6.2 inches. Perfect eye relief and as low to the gun as practical.

If you would like some pictures I'll be glad to send some.

That would be great, if you don't mind.

I have not got the scope yet but was just looking my xbolt. Just guessing, it looks to me like front edge of the mounting tube would need to be about an inch back over the top of the receiver about an inch for me to get good eye relief if I use the VX-5HD. So I doubt it will work for me without a rail. Like you, I want the scope as low as I can get it.

Forgot 2 of the rifles have 3x18x50 Bushnell Forge and 1 has the Burris 4x24x50. :I also will attach a Tikka 308 with the Zeiss to show the short tube. First one 30 06, second Tikka 308, third 28 nosler, fourth 300 win magIMG_1743.JPGIMG_1747.JPGIMG_1746.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 11
OP
K
Thank you, that helps! My eye piece is going to be in about same place as yours, so it's going to be tight without a rail.

check the length of the tube it will give you a good idea comparing to mine. The Zeiss fits perfect on the shorter action of the 308 but is short for me on the long action. With the rail you can get away with low rings.