Which Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT Pack?

Have you tried it before with weight? I think MR packs are built really well but the second I switched from the Guide Lite frame to a Kifaru Hunting frame my back thanked me big time. The extra lumbar padding made a world of difference. Just something to think about I guess

I agree with ridgerunner22 - I loved my Pintler, but couldn't get the belt to stop sliding with a heavy load, switched to Kifaru and the belt no longer slips - MR stuff is made incredibly well and I am a fan for sure, maybe their new belt will be better.

garbs

FNG
Depending on what size you need, it looks like OpticsPlanet is already selling the Coyote version of the Selway for $350.

Have you thought about the Terraframe 50? I ordered this pack as my main bush/trail cam/hiking/hunting pack and was keeping it until I got a great deal on a Pintler, so I returned the Terrframe. It has some organization, has their new OVERLOSAD frame which is not a lot different than their GL frame.

In my mind it is better than the Pintler, just could not tun down the deal on a new Pintler.

Just another option

Cheers

SS

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
Have you thought about the Terraframe 50? I ordered this pack as my main bush/trail cam/hiking/hunting pack and was keeping it until I got a great deal on a Pintler, so I returned the Terrframe. It has some organization, has their new OVERLOSAD frame which is not a lot different than their GL frame.

In my mind it is better than the Pintler, just could not tun down the deal on a new Pintler.

Just another option

Cheers

SS
I looked at this pack quite a bit. It is still at the very bottom range of my capacity needs and with the Selway you get another 675 cu in with the same style of bag and a slightly taller frame at exactly the same weight. That’s an easy choice.

I am actually starting to believe the Beartooth is the best pack in the new series, as it provides a whopping 1400 cu in more capacity than the Selway with several more pockets at only 1.7 more lbs. That is considerably lighter than any equal-size Kifaru pack and treading very closely to SG, SO and EXO packs after you add all the pockets and lids the Beartooth comes with.

I’m thinking getting a Beartooth for backpacking and adding a Pintler or Sawtooth bag only later would be a good way to go. I’d have everything from day hunting/fly fishing to overnight trips for both to weeklong trips for both.

The Mystery Ranch Beartooth looks like a nice pack, but I think you should reconsider Kifaru. Mystery Ranch says their Beartooth is 85L and weighs 6.7 pounds. The Kifaru says their Reckoning with the Lite frame is 82L and weighs 5 pounds 13 ounces. The Reckoning is a little more expensive. It comes in at $634 and the Beartooth is $550. I have not used a Mystery Ranch, but most are saying the Kifaru handles the weight better, and you can add pockets and lids for extra space if needed. It might be worth another look.

Clow44

FNG
Did you just swap out the belt to Kifaru. Or did you buy the whole Kifaru frame and just put the MR bag on it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
The Mystery Ranch Beartooth looks like a nice pack, but I think you should reconsider Kifaru. Mystery Ranch says their Beartooth is 85L and weighs 6.7 pounds. The Kifaru says their Reckoning with the Lite frame is 82L and weighs 5 pounds 13 ounces. The Reckoning is a little more expensive. It comes in at $634 and the Beartooth is $550. I have not used a Mystery Ranch, but most are saying the Kifaru handles the weight better, and you can add pockets and lids for extra space if needed. It might be worth another look.
This is all true. However, when you add a lid, two side pockets, a large front pocket and two inside pockets to the Kifaru to make it equal to what the Beartooth comes with stock, the Kifaru will be both heavier and considerably more expensive. I could probably get a complete Beartooth and a Pintler bag for close to the same price.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
I think my rock bottom capacity limit is about 3200 cu in and I’d definitely need to use a meat shelf to pack gear with at that size and probably up to about 3600 cu in. I’m thinking that my sweet spot is going to lie between 3800 - 5500 cu in for me to avoid using the meat shelf for fishing trips and to (just as importantly!) avoid having too much space to tempt a possible overload.

I’ve added the Seek Outside Lanner and Stone Glacier 40/56 to the list, but I’m am certain I’d have to do quite a few add-ons to the SG to make it as versatile as the others, which really jacks up the cost.

It really just comes down to how you pack and what kind of system you like to run. For what you described, you really don't need anything more than the Sawtooth 45 but, if you like to pack a few extra creature comforts then get a bigger bag. I ran an 80L bag for everything for a long time before I could afford extra packs, it worked great. I have tried on that new frame and it is really nice so you will definitely like that part of it.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
It really just comes down to how you pack and what kind of system you like to run. For what you described, you really don't need anything more than the Sawtooth 45 but, if you like to pack a few extra creature comforts then get a bigger bag. I ran an 80L bag for everything for a long time before I could afford extra packs, it worked great. I have tried on that new frame and it is really nice so you will definitely like that part of it.
I agree and the Sawtooth 45 is actually the pack I am most interested in. If I were going solo or with my hunting/fishing buddies it is all I would ever need.

However, a lot of the backpacking trips are with my wife and daughter, and I get to carry all the community gear when that happens. That is definitely a bigger load space-wise and I need at least 60L to keep from having to use the meat shelf, with 70L really being more comfortable for two tents, and MSR WindBurner Duo, three fly rods and related gear, etc. This is kind of why I am leaning toward the Beartooth as I can get a Pintler (or Sawtooth if they offer it) bag only for my hunting trips and my solo backpacking trips.

I agree and the Sawtooth 45 is actually the pack I am most interested in. If I were going solo or with my hunting/fishing buddies it is all I would ever need.

However, a lot of the backpacking trips are with my wife and daughter, and I get to carry all the community gear when that happens. That is definitely a bigger load space-wise and I need at least 60L to keep from having to use the meat shelf, with 70L really being more comfortable for two tents, and MSR WindBurner Duo, three fly rods and related gear, etc. This is kind of why I am leaning toward the Beartooth as I can get a Pintler (or Sawtooth if they offer it) bag only for my hunting trips and my solo backpacking trips.
Yeah that sounds like it would work great, you may be surprised how well that Beartooth cinches down though, may not seem so big on those solo trips.