Which Mystery Ranch

Sobrbiker

WKR
Which frame do 2019 packs use? specifically the 2019 Metcalf? is the MT or GL?

I may be mistaken, but I believe there was overlap (ie both on market at same time) in 2019.
easiest way to distinguish for me is belt: one waist strap over pads=GL, two rows stitched in Molle spacing=MT (and the MT is segmented padding.

I may be mistaken, but I believe there was overlap (ie both on market at same time) in 2019.
easiest way to distinguish for me is belt: one waist strap over pads=GL, two rows stitched in Molle spacing=MT (and the MT is segmented padding.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I believe I have the GL.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
This is it. I bought my Selway in 2019
and it has GL frame but already the new frames were out.

Last edited:
I've had a Pop Up 28 for a couple of years now and very pleased with its capabilities. I've packed whole boned out antelope and muleys with it. It meets airline carry on size limits so my frozen meat rides right above me all the way home. It's also worked very well for me stillhunting deer back in the NE.

Haven't heard any actual hunting experiences with the PU 38 yet, since it's so new, but I'm sure it will also be a great performer, particularly if you need a bit more room.

I recently bought a Sawtooth 45 for a Newfoundland moose hunt that I'm hoping will happen in 2021. I wanted something a bit bigger in case I shoot a bull late in the afternoon and I had to spend the night. Also, with it's Guide Light MT frame, there's the flexibility of swapping bags if Mystery Ranch ever gets around to offering more bag only options. Only been hiking with 40-50# so far, but very comfortable.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices as long as they fit your body type.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I've narrowed my search down to the MR Pop Up 28 or 38 and open to other models as well.

I'm looking for a day pack to hunt mule deer and antelope with and once I get my animal down, pack him out in 2 trips (mule deer).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I have used the Pop Ups (28 and 38) as well as the Sawtooth (and really like the new Pop Ups for day hunts with minimal gear, but still be able to pack out with the Overload shelf.)
I like the option to bring more gear if needed, especially late season hunts with more layers, etc. so I would steer you to the Sawtooth. It is on the GuideLight MT frame, has the sweet waistbelt and Overload shelf, and if you want a bigger pack option you can pick up the Beartooth 80 as a bag only, thereby giving you two packs on one frame that is sized and dialed for you; just swap out bags and you go from 45 liters to over 80 for longer hunts.

NDGuy

WKR
I like my Sawtooth pack for the most part. Not a huge fan of the smaller buckles. Doesn't secure my bow as well as the Pintler or Metcalf pack did.

Terraframe (50 L $350) or Selway (60 L $475) unless you just really, really want pockets. The Terraframe is marketed to backpacking but both have a very similar design including the GL MT frame and both are lighter than the smaller volume packs (pintler, pop-ups, sawtooth). They use a little bit lighter fabric but comparing my selway (330d cordura) to my wife's metcalf (500d cordura) I really doubt there's big of a difference in durability

Man if I was planning on packing out a moose I would take my Frontier Gear of Alaska pack. I love my MR packs, but if a heavy load is in the plans I want an external freighter frame pack.
The outfitter airlifts the moose out with a helo. My pack only needs to contain a spike out camp.

Besides that, I'm 63y/o old and not the swingin' dick bull I was 20 years ago. I don't intend to carry a load more than 65-70# or so these days. And I'd prefer less than that in the muskeg and potholes up there. The Guide Light MT can handle that with relative ease.

Last edited:
For day hunts in small mountains (Catskills) what do some of you MR owners recommend for packing out a black bear or a deer?

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
All of the packs with the overload feature on a GL frame will do great packing out an animal. I hunt in the Appalachians a good bit. Not the same elevation as out West but it is rough as hell. When I am going to be fighting rough country and staying overnight I tend to want my Selway. I have attached a lid so it can hold everything I need for 4 days. It will pack the meat and most importantly it is really light.

For day hunts in small mountains (Catskills) what do some of you MR owners recommend for packing out a black bear or a deer?

Been using a Pop Up 28 for two years, stillhunting in The Catskills (Delaware County). Great size and thin profile. Just right for carrying my lunch, some swap out clothing layers, kill kit, rain gear and some other odds and ends. While I used the load shelf out west a few times, I haven't used it for NE deer hunting. Always drag to a skid road and carry animal to camp on an ATV since we hunt private club property. A Pop Up 18 would also be fantastic if you could find one used in your size.

Been using a Pop Up 28 for two years, stillhunting in The Catskills (Delaware County). Great size and thin profile. Just right for carrying my lunch, some swap out clothing layers, kill kit, rain gear and some other odds and ends. While I used the load shelf out west a few times, I haven't used it for NE deer hunting. Always drag to a skid road and carry animal to camp on an ATV since we hunt private club property. A Pop Up 18 would also be fantastic if you could find one used in your size.
Great info. Thanks for sharing. I will likely be in the Big Indian area (I live in Ulster County). I'll put the Pop Up 28 and 18 into consideration. I'll have to pack it out onto a road as I will be all pub land this year. Good luck on your hunts.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
The Selway is up today on Camofire for $286.00. At that price, it should be everyone's favorite MR pack. I think they also had the Divide and Scapegoat listed if someone wants a day pack.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
The Selway is up today on Camofire for $286.00. At that price, it should be everyone's favorite MR pack. I think they also had the Divide and Scapegoat listed if someone wants a day pack.

I just saw that. Title says 2019 but they have a pic of the 2020