Which Mystery Ranch

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
I've narrowed my search down to the MR Pop Up 28 or 38 and open to other models as well.

I'm looking for a day pack to hunt mule deer and antelope with and once I get my animal down, pack him out in 2 trips (mule deer).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t look any further, those are great packs for low profile day hunts and can easily get a buck out in 2 trips. I think the question is how much gear do you carry on any given day. If you are more minimalist like me the 28 is good. If you take a few layers off often and have a good amount of gear the 38 is the way to go. The 38 is still a small pack in my opinion.

Superdoo

WKR
I had a pop up 28 last year. Worked good, but I was worried about longevity on it when I had to synch it down really tight. After season I grabbed a Sawtooth. Better frame and less messing around to get meat on the shelf and go.
I sold it because it was too small for bigger trips, which is why for your needs I'd suggest the Sawtooth. I like more bag than I need.

I was in your shoes recently however I wanted something that I could stay a night or 2 as well. Something less than 3000ci. I narrowed it down to the pop-up 38 and the sawtooth 45. I went with the sawtooth. Though I have not hunted with it yet, it is the pack I have been looking for for along time!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pop up is my primary day hunting pack. I had a 28. Sold it and got the 38 Last year. I found in late Season when I carry layers, the 28 wasn’t big enough.

I also have the sawtooth 45.

pop up is more nimble, lighter, cheaper, smaller in daypack mode and carries a heavy load fairly well. I have used it for a light overnight and it is fine.

sawtooth is a bit more heavy, bulky expensive but will carry a heavy load much better in terms of comfort and stability. I can do 1-3 nights in it if my load isn’t bulky.

if I wanted a day pack to carry 10-20# of daily gear and occasional haul up to 70# I would say the pop up.

if I wanted something fairly compact that was a better overall hauling platform and the Cha ce to add bigger bags down the line to a full size frame then the sawtooth is a better choice.

Wapiti16

FNG
I really like my Sawtooth 45. Great, sleek daypack with full meatshelf and load hauling capabilities.

Had a pop up 28 and sold it because I questioned if it would be big enough for what I needed. I ended up getting a Pintler on the guide light frame and am very happy with it. If the pop up 38 would have been available (this was 2 years ago) I probably would have picked it up though.

The 28 is a nice size but I just thought it was too small to pack a mulie out in one trip- which is mainly what I wanted it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Pintler’s fabric is 500D or 500D Lite plus. Looks like most other bags are 330D Lite plus. I don’t know if that makes a difference in real world use. Bag weight is about same for Sawtooth & Pintler.
I have a Selway as well. It’s larger capacity, yet lighter than the Pintler & Sawtooth.

Last edited:

Badseed

WKR
I just went through the same process of finding a day pack that I could use to haul meat and stay a few days if necessary. After reading a ton of reviews and opinions, I settled on the sawtooth 45. I couldn’t be happier. It flattens down if you don’t have much in it, is built strong and fits very well. I haven’t had a chance to haul game yet but I loaded my 80# son in it and carried him around the property the weight distribution is great. At the end if the day, it really depends on your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Pintler’s fabric is 500D or 500D Lite plus. Looks like most other bags are 330D Lite plus. I don’t know if that makes a difference in real world use. Bag weight is about same for Sawtooth & Pintler.
I have a Selway as well. It’s larger capacity, yet lighter than the Pintler & Sawtooth.
I have never seen the pintler. I have a selway and it is made of the lighter fabric. If the pintler is made of the same fabric it should be plenty tough. My pintler cart wheeled down 1400 feet packed with 65 lbs. Only damage was a little a pinhole.

Wapiti16

FNG
If anyone is interested, I just listed my very lightly used Sawtooth 45, brand new MR Daypack Lid, and brand new Large Belt Pocket in the classifieds. I absolutely love this pack but I need a little more room to make it 4-5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sobrbiker

WKR
For AZ hunting (mainly day hunts from Jeep camp, with some couple night spike camp hunts) I bought a Cabinet on the GL frame,then a Pintler bag.
The cabinet is awesome (think mule with two fairly big fly pockets) for early season lightweight (glass/tripod/morning layer/kill kit/water/snacks) with the ability and layout to haul more animal than I can.
The Pintler I feel is just as capable and I can carry/shed more layers easily.
I have an OR 50L dry sack I can fill up with camp and run in either to spike camp from.