Which new day pack?

wysongdog

WKR
Need some help guys. I'm looking for a new daypack. I hunt 95% of the time off of my mules and hang my backpack off the horn on one side and my bow/rifle on the other side. I've been looking hard at the SO Peregrine, Hill People Gear Aston House, Kuiu venture 2300. I will use this backpack as my carry on when we head to Africa in may. Thanks again for the help

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Liking the venture well designed comfortable little pack with many pockets to segregate items. Seems to be wearing well so far after four months of use.

Attachments

• 24352F2E-3151-4D29-A813-EC8AC01EF49C.png
    24352F2E-3151-4D29-A813-EC8AC01EF49C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
  • 0277CE3E-06BA-4466-BAC0-7F3E08D0D311.png
    0277CE3E-06BA-4466-BAC0-7F3E08D0D311.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
That’s what I was thinking of the pack too while I was looking at it.

EmperorMA

WKR
The Mystery Ranch Coulee 40 looks like a perfect carry-on travel bag with four big, long stuff pockets on the outside.

I also dig the Seek Outside Peregrine for a similar design.

I run the Mystery Ranch Scree for that purpose, but at about 2,000 cu in, it seems a touch smaller than what you’re looking at. It’s the best-made, best-designed daypack I’ve ever used or been around and I’ve carried a pack daily for 35 years.

walkamt

FNG
Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35. It's pretty well built for a dedicated daypack and even hauled out an elk quarter on an unexpectedly successful trip. Quick access too

OP
W

wysongdog

WKR
I actually got to look at the scapegoat 35 this weekend and really liked it. There's one on here for sale but the gentleman hasn't returned my pm.

Zoomfish

Lil-Rokslider
I actually got to look at the scapegoat 35 this weekend and really liked it. There's one on here for sale but the gentleman hasn't returned my pm.

I’ve have a foliage one posted here for past week. Just double checked messages in case. Let me know!

NDGuy

WKR
I liked the Pop Up 28 but returned it to see what they come out with next, wanting a hair bigger.

cowboy300

WKR
I hunt/guide off mules and horses and have used the Kifaru Tarryall alot. I like the pack its built solid and can take some abuse. I even packed out a whole mountain lion in mine and while not ideal it will do it. It also has worked as a carry on when flying.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier Avail has been an awesome daypack for me. Also fits perfectly under a plane seat

Tower

FNG
I hunt in WY on horseback, from a base camp. Last year I switched from a Badlands Pursuit (1500ci) to a Mystery ranch Front (1220ci). I like the slimmer profile for when it’s hanging off the saddle horn, and the fit when I have it on throughout the day. The Tri-zip makes it easy access. I made up for some of the lost space by adding two MR belt pouches to either side for smalls and shock cord and a compression strap across the front for fast storage of clothing. But honestly I wouldn’t go any smaller. It’s a great size for my Texas hunting.

I also looked at the Scapegoat 25 and 35 but I don’t like or need a waist belt for the type of hunting we do. We pack out via pack horses so I don’t need a meat hauler. Do like the filet zipper design.

I looked at the MR Pop-up line and liked the design, but again I don’t need a load shelf, and was concerned how the pack would ride over the saddle horn.

Currently I’m eyeing the Kifaru Shape Charge and Urban Zippy, for if I decide on little more space.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in WY on horseback, from a base camp. Last year I switched from a Badlands Pursuit (1500ci) to a Mystery ranch Front (1220ci). I like the slimmer profile for when it’s hanging off the saddle horn, and the fit when I have it on throughout the day. The Tri-zip makes it easy access. I made up for some of the lost space by adding two MR belt pouches to either side for smalls and shock cord and a compression strap across the front for fast storage of clothing. But honestly I wouldn’t go any smaller. It’s a great size for my Texas hunting.

I also looked at the Scapegoat 25 and 35 but I don’t like or need a waist belt for the type of hunting we do. We pack out via pack horses so I don’t need a meat hauler. Do like the filet zipper design.

I looked at the MR Pop-up line and liked the design, but again I don’t need a load shelf, and was concerned how the pack would ride over the saddle horn.

Currently I’m eyeing the Kifaru Shape Charge and Urban Zippy, for if I decide on little more space.
How did it work out for you?

pirogue

WKR
I hunt in WY on horseback, from a base camp. Last year I switched from a Badlands Pursuit (1500ci) to a Mystery ranch Front (1220ci). I like the slimmer profile for when it’s hanging off the saddle horn, and the fit when I have it on throughout the day.
Would be a lot simpler to hang a Shape Charge on the saddle horn, if it had a handle. And I decided on the Antero over the Urban Zippy, as I wanted a pack with the breathable mesh back pads on it.

406unltd

WKR
Well packs are always a personal thing as far as fit and whatnot. With that said I use Kifaru. I only day hunt whether it’s bow season or rifle. I use the Apollo bag during bow season and then I add the guide lid to that when it’s rifle season. I’ve never needed more room than that and it has worked well getting elk and or deer off the mountain solo. The Apollo is no longer available but you can find them on here once in a while. They offer a newer bag called the Stryker and that bag is going to be just as good if not better and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it. When I want to go even lighter for second or third trips packing meat I take the bag off and put the quarter panel on. That panel with a dry bag and or guide lid would be a great lightweight option for a day hunt as well.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I have been all over videos and websites today. Ive decided between the SG Glacier, HPG Aston house, and Kifaru urban zippy, Antero, and Shape Charge, that the Shape charge with a gun bearer will be the best option for me. I like the big open pocket of the shape charge, and the way it gets slimmer at the bottom. Add the hip belt and it will be great on-off a horse and ready to rock a few miles by foot.

Kwet239

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the MR cabinet, haven’t used it but excited to try it out. It will be my day pack with the ability to pack out if needed