Which nock on release? Already have the nock 2 it

KBC

WKR
I’d like to get a new release. I shoot pretty good with the nock 2 it but at times I can punch the trigger. Like everyone says I’m not sure I’ll stray from the button when hunting but I’d like to work on things and I’d like to keep the same size/shape2 finger thing.

So back tension or hinge and why?

Cheers

I was in the same boat and got an Evolution 20, that I ultimately traded up for a Silverback. One of the best decisions I've made regarding my shot process. Haven't looked back.

Reactions: KBC

SlimTim

FNG
I have gone through similar thought process.

I have a Nock 2 It. Shoot pretty well with it. Sometimes feel like I go through bouts of target panic and trigger punching. Its seems to come and go.

The thing I can't seem to convince myself of though is how would using a Silver Back help me to NOT punch the trigger on my Nock 2 It?

Sure, the Silver Back is the same shape release and its tension activated, but how exactly would that then translate to my Nock 2 It?

Last edited:
OP
K

KBC

WKR
I think the silverback will just help me develop the habit of pulling through every time and be the most similar to how I should shoot the button but I’ve hear lots of guys say the hinge will make you able to shoot anything.

I've tried the changing release thing and for me it's always a temporary fix. I switched from index to thumb and punched the thumb. Switched from thumb to hinge and dumped the hinge after the click. Almost quit archery, stopped caring where the arrow hits and just wanted to make good surprise releases with back tension. I still suck and am trying to decide what style release I want to commit to, but just changing releases didn't fix my incorrect shooting process. Some days I literally have to say "pull pull pull" out loud to myself when shooting. However your results may vary. If you feel a new release would help, I would go with the hinge with a click. Rotate to the click and then engage those back muscles until it breaks. (DISCLAIMER: SEE USERNAME)

Issue is the silverback(evo) are very temp sensitive which will forsure give you a surprise and teach you how to pull hard but it won’t change your target panic(brain function) keep your release/maybe add a hinge to the process. Commit to Joel turners shot iq.

Some may argue the evo temp sensitive deal but I’ve seen it on over 6 of them.

Issue is the silverback(evo) are very temp sensitive which will forsure give you a surprise and teach you how to pull hard but it won’t change your target panic(brain function) keep your release/maybe add a hinge to the process. Commit to Joel turners shot iq.

Some may argue the evo temp sensitive deal but I’ve seen it on over 6 of them.

Ya know, I hadn't thought about this, but I think this is why I might be chasing my tension setting on both my Evo and my Silverback. Down the rabbit hole I go...

Ya know, I hadn't thought about this, but I think this is why I might be chasing my tension setting on both my Evo and my Silverback. Down the rabbit hole I go...
I’ve had a little more luck with Stan’s resistance release on consistency. Pry just a slightly different design but Carter releases are simpler and pry more durable

Maz7869

FNG
I have the nock 2 it and they silverback when I start punching the button I switch to the silverback and focus on form.

nphunter

WKR
I like a hinge for target panic, the evolution/silverback works as well. You can punch any of them though, anticipation of the shot is what causes the punch, not the release type. I find that switching back and forth on a regular basis helps the most. IMO blind bail shooting probably helps more than anything for me.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
I like a hinge for target panic, the evolution/silverback works as well. You can punch any of them though, anticipation of the shot is what causes the punch, not the release type. I find that switching back and forth on a regular basis helps the most. IMO blind bail shooting probably helps more than anything for me.
Yeah, I punch some hinges worse than a lot of thumb releases. Pure tension releases suck for me, they're not as accurate inherently and they don't translate to other releases I would actually shoot to hunt or score with. I think either find a single moon hinge that's not too hot after the click, or play with a double moon hinge to get the settings right for you, and then shoot hundreds on hundreds of blank bale shots during the offseason with the sole focus of controlling your shot. As an aside, I'm shooting the Stan C and it's probably the most accurate I've shot a release, I might put away the longhorn and the ascent for a very long time and just focus on learning this release for a year or two.

nphunter

WKR
Yeah, I punch some hinges worse than a lot of thumb releases. Pure tension releases suck for me, they're not as accurate inherently and they don't translate to other releases I would actually shoot to hunt or score with. I think either find a single moon hinge that's not too hot after the click, or play with a double moon hinge to get the settings right for you, and then shoot hundreds on hundreds of blank bale shots during the offseason with the sole focus of controlling your shot. As an aside, I'm shooting the Stan C and it's probably the most accurate I've shot a release, I might put away the longhorn and the ascent for a very long time and just focus on learning this release for a year or two.

The Nock on 2 Smooth is a very nice dual moon micro adjust release. I agree with you on just focusing on the shot, I feel like so many people want to jump on all of these releases to cure an issue. IMO the issue is a mental block and has very little to do with the actual mechanism.

I do feel hinges help and make you concentrate on the shot more than a trigger, both of my boys have been shooting hinges since they were about 10 and they are phenomenal archers when they want to be. I bought them hinges to help with punching, I believe the reason they punched the trigger so badly though was due to them trying to shoot the bow like a gun, (get on target and pull the trigger) I think getting rid of the trigger and teaching an entirely different shot process really helps anyone become a better archer.

I think disassociating the trigger from the shot has also made them much better marksmen with their hunting rifles as well.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I’m starting to lean towards the hinge. Any other input?

ZDR

WKR
I have had all 3 of the nock on series of releases, sold the silverback and kept N2I and 2 smooth. the 2 Smooth is a really good hinge with the dual moons and the ergonomics. I don’t think you will regret it

Reactions: KBC
I'm mainly a hinge shooter and I have a mate who likes hinges but mainly used a Nock 2 It. I saw a 2 Smooth come up for sale on marketplace recently for a really good price so I bought it, half because I was keen but also half because my mate was out of phone service when it was advertised and I figured it'd sell before he realised it was there.
I was away for two weeks hunting when I made the sale so got it posted to my friend so he could muck around with it until I got back. He's really reluctant to let me have it back now as he finds it to be the perfect companion to his Nock 2 It. He has bigger hands than me so I personally find the bulk of the Nock 2 It maybe a little big for my hands, but I can shoot it fine. The 2 Smooth actually feels a little smaller in the hand, despite the dimensions being similar.

I shoot the 2 Smooth on the weekend and regretfully really enjoyed it, but I'm letting my mate have it for the time being as he is going to hunt buffalo soon and wants both of his main releases to match. I have other hinges to muck around with in the meantime and may look for a UV button to match my hinge 2, but the bottom line is I think the 2 Smooth is a nice release. I also like how it makes you pull a little more with your second finger, as it's a good reminder to relax your first finger a touch when you want to start driving the shot.