Which of the big 3 makes the best overall truck/engine?

Jbrow327

FNG
Post 2012, which engine, gas or diesel, has the best pulling power and reliability in your experience?
In general, what's the most reliable post 2012 truck? For example, the cummins is good, but it doesn't mean anything if I have to replace the transmission or suspension before 100k miles.

madcalfe

WKR
pre 2012 probably a 6 speed cummins. but will have to do front ends yearly most likely
lml duramaxs are a good option and pretty reliable if you keep the motor stock
ford are a hit n miss.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
pre 2012 probably a 6 speed cummins. but will have to do front ends yearly most likely
lml duramaxs are a good option and pretty reliable if you keep the motor stock
ford are a hit n miss.
Post 2012

I drive a 2015 lml duramax at 126k now and only thing I've had is DEF heater go out (known issue). Knock on wood its been an amazing truck with hopefully another 200+ trouble free miles to go.

Trr15

WKR
Limited experience with diesels but I’ve been driving a 2015 6.7l Cummins since purchasing it new. Right around 105k on it and I’ve been very pleased. I deleted and tuned it at around 80k when the DEF system crapped out and have been even happier with it. I’ve got buddies with newer Powerstrokes and they seem like a mixed bag in terms of reliability. No insight into Duramax.

Afhunter1

WKR
My 2021 2500 D-Max is a hammer. It’s gonna stay with me for a long time. I can’t ask for anymore in a truck. I was just coming down a steep 4mi mountain the other day with 10k on the trailer and didn’t even have to put it in tow mode or touch the brakes. Just flip on the engine brake and sit back and ride it out to bottom of hill. Awesome truck.

I towed that load bout 300 miles and averages 10/11 mpg

But if I didn’t haul stuff pretty frequent or less than 8k I’d get the baby D-max in a sec. 30 mpg highway

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
So anything post 2012 will have DEF and each have there own issues with that. Deleting is an option but voids any warranty and some shops won’t touch it. Also the epa is cracking down on that. I’ve been told they are tracking exhaust orders online to find it. I think the Cummins 6.7 is the way to go personally. The newer 6.7 power strokes are good. If you are looking to drive it like a car then the smaller eco diesels are an option but that’s a different conversation all together.

NUBIG10

FNG
I have a 2015 CTD 6.7 that is approaching 120k with the 68rfe. Deleted and tuned at 70k. Runs like a top so far, tranny is still nice. Tune was light, I would not have a problem buying a ford or a chevy through, They all have problems. I will say that an I6 is an advantage over the other two. The engine bay is pretty clean and not cluttered for repair sake.