Which of these cartridges should I take on my first elk hunt?

Loper

WKR
I need some advice...

In October I'm heading to Idaho on my first Elk hunt.

I have a 30-06 and a 6.5CM. The 30-06 was my first rifle I ever bought. It was the rifle I learned how to shoot with this rifle Ive never shot it well (might have developed a flinch from the recoil). The 6.5CM I bought a few years ago and have shot it a bunch and I'm very accurate and confident with it. Since getting the 6.5CM, I haven't shot the 30-06 much.

I know that the 30-06 has been proven on Elk for decades and can be shot with much heavier bullets. However, I've read plenty of things where people take down Elk with the 6.5CM.

Should I pull out the 30-06 and shoot it more this summer to try and get proficient with it, or just stick with the 6.5CM and use a premium bullet?

Which ever rifle I go with, I won't be shooting beyond 300 yards.

Ucsdryder

WKR
180gr. Nosler accubond or partition will give you more room for error than the 6.5. Which one is easier to carry in the mountains? You’ll be packing it for days and miles so that’s absolutely a factor. Then which one do you shoot the best.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Take the 6.5 you shoot more accurate with it. With the right bullet placement any gun will work.

BFR

WKR
Take both, use the one you are most accurate and familiar with, the 6.5 will do the job fine. I use the venerable 06 with 165 Sierra Gamekings, works great for me, I have 7mm 08 for grandkids to use. Tempted to get myself one because the older I get the more recoil hurts.

Swede

WKR
To my way of thinking, you are asking about using a gun that is close to the minimum needed to hunt elk, and one that you can't shoot accurately. That is not a good choice. If you can't shoot the 06 accurately, why are you holding on to it. If is is just a keepsake, hang it up somewhere for a display and move on. If not, trade it for something useful.

Take both with you. Hunt with the one you prefer but if you drop one or have some other issue with it you always have the other. 165 gn bullets for the 06 should work great or 150 gn if you go to copper bullets.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Try putting a muzzle brake on the 3006 spr. It would be my first choice.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
If there are grizz in the unit where you will be hunting, I would take the '06

Yes, we are hunting in grizzly country.

180gr. Nosler accubond or partition will give you more room for error than the 6.5. Which one is easier to carry in the mountains? You’ll be packing it for days and miles so that’s absolutely a factor. Then which one do you shoot the best.

The 06 is a heavier rifle, Remington 700. The 6.5 is a Ruger American Predator.

To my way of thinking, you are asking about using a gun that is close to the minimum needed to hunt elk, and one that you can't shoot accurately. That is not a good choice. If you can't shoot the 06 accurately, why are you holding on to it. If is is just a keepsake, hang it up somewhere for a display and move on. If not, trade it for something useful.

About a year or so ago, I went to my LGS and they weren't going to give me much for the 06. Trade value was the same as the cash value. I had a buyer half a year ago but he backed out. I haven't posted in the classifieds here.

Take both with you. Hunt with the one you prefer but if you drop one or have some other issue with it you always have the other. 165 gn bullets for the 06 should work great or 150 gn if you go to copper bullets.

I've thought about doing this as an option. I have a double gun case so it won't be a big deal to take both.

Try putting a muzzle brake on the 3006 spr. It would be my first choice.

I've thought about this too. I've heard good (reduced recoil) and bad (loud as hell) things about brakes. The verdict is still out for me.

Laramie

WKR
Nothing wrong with the 6.5 as long as you understand the calibers limitations and you use a quality bullet. I would be completely comfortable with the 6.5 on elk at 300 yards.

If recoil is a problem with the 06 a good modern recoil pad can do wonders. It's still going to recoil the same but will have much less felt recoil with a good pad. I have a lightweight 28 Nosler that kicks way more than a 06 but has a great recoil pad on it which make the thump tolerable.

I was going to automatically say the 3006 but stopped cold when you said you don't shoot it well. If you're disciplined enough to only take good shots with the 6.5C then take that one. Sounds like you wouldn't be taking long shots with either one of them though. If it's only recoil that's the issue, you'll likely be wearing a jacket and nobody feels recoil shooting at animals anyway that's just a shooting range thing lol... Perhaps practice with a jacket on and see if you shoot better.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Nothing wrong with the 6.5 as long as you understand the calibers limitations and you use a quality bullet. I would be completely comfortable with the 6.5 on elk at 300 yards.

Good to hear. Yeah, I'd most likely be using an accubond or partition.

If recoil is a problem with the 06 a good modern recoil pad can do wonders. It's still going to recoil the same but will have much less felt recoil with a good pad. I have a lightweight 28 Nosler that kicks way more than a 06 but has a great recoil pad on it which make the thump tolerable.

The 06 has the stock recoil pad. Its not hard, but it isn't super soft either. Good call on adding the pad.

I was going to automatically say the 3006 but stopped cold when you said you don't shoot it well. If you're disciplined enough to only take good shots with the 6.5C then take that one. Sounds like you wouldn't be taking long shots with either one of them though. If it's only recoil that's the issue, you'll likely be wearing a jacket and nobody feels recoil shooting at animals anyway that's just a shooting range thing lol... Perhaps practice with a jacket on and see if you shoot better.

I agree that nobody notices recoil when shooting on game. I'm a little concerned about taking the 06 to the range to practice with some more and then reintroducing a flinch. Maybe with a jacket and a new recoil pad that wont be an issue.

Good to hear. Yeah, I'd most likely be using an accubond or partition.

The 06 has the stock recoil pad. Its not hard, but it isn't super soft either. Good call on adding the pad.

I agree that nobody notices recoil when shooting on game. I'm a little concerned about taking the 06 to the range to practice with some more and then reintroducing a flinch. Maybe with a jacket and a new recoil pad that wont be an issue.

Just remember adding a recoil pad plus winter clothing you may end up with too much LOP. Try it and see what happens. For the range they make shoulder pads you can wear under your clothes as well, works great for my brakeless 300 Wby.