Which of these cartridges should I take on my first elk hunt?

Have a brake installed and you wont have any recoil
I have a 6.5 creed and with a good bullet say accubond, eld x etc. Id trust it to 300 yds on anything in the lower 48. I am putting a brake on it as well not for recoil but to keep scope open and be able to see impact better, 2nd shot faster if needed.

180gr. Nosler accubond or partition will give you more room for error than the 6.5. Which one is easier to carry in the mountains? You’ll be packing it for days and miles so that’s absolutely a factor. Then which one do you shoot the best.

Just a random question - how many different rounds did you try with the 06? I really struggled with the one I inherited from my dad, couldn't group for crap. I bedded the action, got a new scope tried different ammunition, nothing seemed to work. I was pretty sure either I sucked or the rifle sucked and I was pricing out alternatives and shooting courses. A buddy of mine mentioned it looked like my round was key holing, and when I double checked, all of the rounds I had tried we're 180 ish. I dropped to less than 165 and I immediately got 1 moa groups. Verified with the or four different brands, it was unreal. Always, try some lighter rounds and see if it helps. Also I have about 5 boxes of precision hunter 178 if anyone is interested....

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Some questions on the 30-06:
Do you shoot factory ammo? If so how many different types did you try?
Recoil pad or hard plastic butt like older Remingtons?
Has the trigger been adjusted to provide consistent weight?
Is the barrel free floated?

The older 700’s were built well, a little bit of tuning usually turns them into great shooters.

Yes, I’ve only been shooters by factory ammo. I’ve shot a couple different brands in various loads, 150, 160, and 180 grain.

It’s about a 7 or 8 years old Remington 700 ADL, I haven’t modified it at all so it has the plastic stock that isn’t free floated and the original recoil pad and trigger.

I figure if I were to buy a new stock, BDL magazine components, trigger, etc. I may as well just sell the R700 and buy something that I know will have all these better features, a detachable magazine, a 60-70 degree bolt throw and will surely shoot better. like a Tikka T3X , Browning X-bolt, or one of the nicer Savages (minus the shorter bolt throw).

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thank you everyone for all the feedback!

It sounds like 30-06 is preferred. I'm going to break it out, practice with it, probably make some upgrades, and try and get it dialed in. If I can shoot it good I'll roll with it.

Have a brake installed and you wont have any recoil
I have a 6.5 creed and with a good bullet say accubond, eld x etc. Id trust it to 300 yds on anything in the lower 48. I am putting a brake on it as well not for recoil but to keep scope open and be able to see impact better, 2nd shot faster if needed.

I may also go this route in tandem with the 30-06. The Ruger American is already threaded so it wouldn't take much to put a brake on it and see the loudness is tolerable and how much it educes recoil to see shot impacts for follow ups if needed.

Last edited:

cslater3

FNG
I've heard some horror stories with a 6.5. I would keep it under 300 if you choose that gun.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I've been going back and forth on this.

It sounds like 30-06 is preferred. I'm going to break it out, practice with it, probably make some upgrades, and try and get it dialed in. If I can shoot it good I'll roll with it.

I may also go this route in tandem with the 30-06. The Ruger American is already threaded so it wouldn't take much to put a brake on it and see the loudness is tolerable and how much it educes recoil to see shot impacts for follow ups if needed.

please don’t shoot a braked rifle without ear protection. You WILL damage your hearing and quite possibly have to live with constant ringing in your ears from tinnitus the rest of your life.

MattDavis

FNG
Had a similar delima. I tried to justify an elk draw to justify a new 6.5 rifle. I already own my 30 06 so common since (my wife) prevailed.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
please don’t shoot a braked rifle without ear protection. You WILL damage your hearing and quite possibly have to live with constant ringing in your ears from tinnitus the rest of your life.

Just to clarify, when I said I’d have to see if the loudness is tolerable, I fully intend on wearing hearing protection. I haven’t shot or been around a braked rifle but from my understanding it is ridiculously loud. I think all centerfires are loud enough as it is and always wear hearing protection.

Just to clarify, when I said I’d have to see if the loudness is tolerable, I fully intend on wearing hearing protection. I haven’t shot or been around a braked rifle but from my understanding it is ridiculously loud. I think all centerfires are loud enough as it is and always wear hearing protection.

With a decent brake it isn’t so loud for you... as it is the guy standing next to you. Don’t do it at a public range that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear. Yeah, I'd most likely be using an accubond or partition.

The 06 has the stock recoil pad. Its not hard, but it isn't super soft either. Good call on adding the pad.

I agree that nobody notices recoil when shooting on game. I'm a little concerned about taking the 06 to the range to practice with some more and then reintroducing a flinch. Maybe with a jacket and a new recoil pad that wont be an issue.
I would not muzzle brake the 30-06 as it's just too much noise. As suggested have a gunsmith fit a good quality recoil pad as that will make a difference for sure. When you are practicing you might try this. I like to wear soft plugs underneath my shooting muffs. Doubling up on the hearing protection is a great way to lessen the explosion that takes place when a shot is fired. Getting rid of some of that intense noise to me does make it seem like the recoil is not quite as bad. Another thing I do with pistols and rifles when shooting at the range is to take dummy rounds and alternate them in the magazine. It will show you right away if you are rushing or anticipating a shot, and by doing this it also helps you to concentrate and follow through with the shot. If the hammer falls on a dummy round and the sights don't move on the target you are "getting in the zone". You could have a partner load the magazines so that you do not know what you are chambering. This is excellent practice and you can do it on your own, yes even with just 3 or 4 rounds in a rifles magazine. Lots of dry firing helps too. You can do this at home and an A-Zoom snap cap helps protect the firing pin from being damaged. Just make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you are using a snap cap and not a live round.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Solid post from 6mm Rem.

Years ago, I used to just wear cheap muffs when shooting rifles at the range. The recoil from my 7mm Rem Mag seemed horrible. I hated shooting that thing. A friend recommended wearing plugs AND his muffs (better quality)- turned out it was muzzle blast that I was perceiving as “recoil”. I shot that rifle much better after making that change to my hearing protection. I don’t know if this will help the OP at all, but it’s worth a shot.

I would also NOT recommend putting a brake on any rifle. Terrible idea that you would regret, IMO.

Last edited:
This is the easiest question I've seen on here in a long time. Between a rifle you shoot well and a rifle you don't shoot well, always take the rifle you shoot well.

LanceM

FNG
Take what you are confident in. I don't care whether that's a 243 or a 300. Don't take anything you aren't confident you can shoot well. If that means taking something with less power, buy quality ammunition and know your limits with it, both in terms of accuracy and the ability to make a clean kill. If these are your options, you'll do fine with a 6.5 and quality ammo.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I would not muzzle brake the 30-06 as it's just too much noise. As suggested have a gunsmith fit a good quality recoil pad as that will make a difference for sure. When you are practicing you might try this. I like to wear soft plugs underneath my shooting muffs. Doubling up on the hearing protection is a great way to lessen the explosion that takes place when a shot is fired. Getting rid of some of that intense noise to me does make it seem like the recoil is not quite as bad. Another thing I do with pistols and rifles when shooting at the range is to take dummy rounds and alternate them in the magazine. It will show you right away if you are rushing or anticipating a shot, and by doing this it also helps you to concentrate and follow through with the shot. If the hammer falls on a dummy round and the sights don't move on the target you are "getting in the zone". You could have a partner load the magazines so that you do not know what you are chambering. This is excellent practice and you can do it on your own, yes even with just 3 or 4 rounds in a rifles magazine. Lots of dry firing helps too. You can do this at home and an A-Zoom snap cap helps protect the firing pin from being damaged. Just make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you are using a snap cap and not a live round.

Graat call on the dummy round and dry firing. A while back I heard on podcast this is a great way to get better at shooting, but forgot about this until you mentioned it. Thanks for the advice!

Solid post from 6mm Rem.

Years ago, I used to just wear cheap muffs when shooting rifles at the range. The recoil from my 7mm Rem Mag seemed horrible. I hated shooting that thing. A friend recommended wearing plugs AND his muffs (better quality)- turned out it was muzzle blast that I was perceiving as “recoil”. I shot that rifle much better after making that change to my hearing protection. I don’t know if this will help the OP at all, but it’s worth a shot.

I would also NOT recommend putting a brake on any rifle. Terrible idea that you would regret, IMO.

I recently bought some of the Walker's electronic ear muffs but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'm going to be using these next time at the range and take 6mm Rem.'s advice and use some soft plugs as well.

This is the easiest question I've seen on here in a long time. Between a rifle you shoot well and a rifle you don't shoot well, always take the rifle you shoot well.
Take what you are confident in. I don't care whether that's a 243 or a 300. Don't take anything you aren't confident you can shoot well. If that means taking something with less power, buy quality ammunition and know your limits with it, both in terms of accuracy and the ability to make a clean kill. If these are your options, you'll do fine with a 6.5 and quality ammo.
I'm going to try and get better with the 30-06, but if I continue to not shoot it well or I don't feel confident in it leading up to the trip, I'll be taking the 6.5.

The '06 can be tamed pretty easily if recoil is the problem. You didn't mention the make/model of the rifle. I have a Ruger 77 MKII that kicked like an angry mule, especially with heavier bullets for elk and moose. I put a Boyd's laminated stock on it with a Sims recoil pad and now it is like shooting a 28 gauge shotgun. At the same time I replaced the trigger with a Timney and it is super smooth. I've got not experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I know a lot of people take big game with them. Heck the Europeans have been knocking down moose with 6.5x55 for 75 years. So it will do the job. But I can tell you the '06 with the right choice of bullet will result in a pretty short tracking job.

Whichever you’re more comfortable with. All things being equal I would take the 06. I just think a .308 bullet is just about perfect for big game, and the 06 hits the sweet spot for power and minimal recoil. I never thought an 06 had too much recoil for the first 20 rounds at a range.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear. Yeah, I'd most likely be using an accubond or partition.

The 06 has the stock recoil pad. Its not hard, but it isn't super soft either. Good call on adding the pad.

I agree that nobody notices recoil when shooting on game. I'm a little concerned about taking the 06 to the range to practice with some more and then reintroducing a flinch. Maybe with a jacket and a new recoil pad that wont be an issue.
I highly recommend the Simms Supercell recoil pad. My Remington 700 .300wm has one from the factory and it is legit. Its a sps stainless sporter that doesn't weigh much, that pad completely tames the recoil of the mighty magnum, should work great for 30-06, and I believe they are available pre-fit to a Remington 700. BTW if its a CDL I could possibly be interested in it.