Which of these two sub-alpha glass would you buy?

Same price, choose one

• Total voters

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to pick one and they were both the same price, which of these 8x42 binoculars would you choose: a used pair of Vortex Razor HD (Japanese made model) or a brand new pair of Tract Toric?

You’ll be able to sell those Japan Razors for what you paid for them when you decide to upgrade.

golfbum

WKR
Razors for me.

I have a couple pair of 10s (Japan made) that are excellent and not far off from true alpha glass. I love them

Rodéo

WKR
I've had both pairs of glass and actually have the 8x42 torics and 10x42 japan made razors right now. I prefer the torics for a variety of reasons. The razors aren't far behind. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go Tract for the simple fact if you need a warranty replacement you'll get another MIJ Toric. If you need a replacement with the Vortex you'll end up with a Chinese optic.

HuntNTag

WKR
I can’t speak on the TT but I’ve had 10x42 Japanese razors for years and have been happy with them. I have swaro EL’s now and still keep my razors as a secondary optic. Plus I feel that if I was to sell them, there is a market for the Japanese Razors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I have the torics, meopta HD, nikon hg, leica noctovid and slc Swarovski.

Those torics are a steal for what they do at the price you pay. The nocs best the rest, but it's a personal preference between the others.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
I must say that I’m sort of surprised from the results so far. I expected the razor vote would have been much more popular. I don’t know if that speaks more to the quality of the Torics or the disappointment a lot of people have expressed about having to need to use vortex‘s much touted warranty.

Have the Torics been around long enough to establish the durability on their quality?

You won’t use the warranty on Japan made Razors unless you damage them and it’s your fault. They aren’t going to fall apart on you.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
What's the opinion from everyone on how the BX-5 compares to the Toric and Razor?

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just saw a pair of new 8x42 Torics on ebay for $390. I thought that was a great deal considering the survey voting was 2 to 1 in favor of the Torics for the same price as a used Razor. This is much lower than that so I went ahead and bought them.

Rodéo

WKR
Well I just saw a pair of new 8x42 Torics on ebay for $390. I thought that was a great deal considering the survey voting was 2 to 1 in favor of the Torics for the same price as a used Razor. This is much lower than that so I went ahead and bought them.
That's such a steal it's not even funny. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good steal.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
That's such a steal it's not even funny. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good steal.
yeah, I had to look at the listing a dozen times to make sure it was actually what it said it was. UPC checks out so hopefully it shows up in one piece and working.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
The Torics came in the mail today and the listing was legit; sealed and unopened box. They are well built, solid to hold, and very clear glass. Focus wheel is tight and crisp, quick and easy to change focus. No slop in anything and the diopter lock is solid. There's only two things for me and I won't go so far as to call them issues.

First is the eye relief. I seem to be between two of the settings where you can twist the cups in or out and they kind of snap into defined positions. Hopefully they don't move from where I leave them when I put them in and out of the harness.

The second is a little more annoying. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. When I pan side to side, intermittently I get a flash of a black moon slice shape out the corner of my eye. It's like when you put a set of binos up to your eyes and before you get them to the proper eye relief distance you see the black circles of the two lenses right before they converge into one. I kind of see that. A moon sliver kind of shape flashes quickly in and out while I pan. I don't have a lot of time behind binos so maybe this is normal or maybe I am doing something wrong. Or maybe my eyes are broke.

Last edited:
I have a pair of tract binoculars and have not noticed the issue you're describing. I wonder if you have the interpupillary distance set appropriately for your eyes. By the way that's a screaming deal with those binoculars! I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. And if you are you can always PM me and I'll buy them from you!

Sled

WKR
I have a pair of tract binoculars and have not noticed the issue you're describing. I wonder if you have the interpupillary distance set appropriately for your eyes. By the way that's a screaming deal with those binoculars! I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. And if you are you can always PM me and I'll buy them from you!

That's my guess too. I've had this happen with other binos that require adjustments after stowing in a harness. Easy to fix if that's it.

Nethero

WKR
What's the opinion from everyone on how the BX-5 compares to the Toric and Razor?
The BX-5 will show deeper and darker constraint better. However, build quality I would give to the Torics. The Torics are basic but very sturdy. The BX-5’s, out of every bino I have ever seen, have all had the worst hinge tension I have ever experienced. They flop on themselves. And the diopters have all had a little wiggle.

However, I will also say that I have had both Razor HD and Toric UHD and no longer own either of them. They both have locking diopters that lift, rotate, and click into a preset position. Everybody’s eyes are different, but my eyes never seem to agree with these preset diopter settings, especially the ones by Vortex. I can never get both eyes exactly the same. I can with Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica...so I know it’s not me, but you are talking serious price bumps there.

When it’s all done and said, all three are similar optically. If you found a good copy of the BX-5, I would get that. It’s light, easy to hold open bridge, and excellent contrast. However, I imagine you will be just as happy with the Torics you have purchased.

Good luck!

Last edited: