Which on sale merino bottom would you buy

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
I can buy Kryptek's Hoplite merino lightweight bottom for $48 or Sitka's Merino Core lightweight bottom for $73. I'm looking for something for an early season elk bow hunt.

Would Sitka's merino be worth the extra money? I don't know if it would fit better with the nylon blend.

TBHasler

WKR
Honestly, likely neither. I’d opt for Kuiu or Firstlite zip off base layers.
But if it’s got to be between these two, the fit of the Sitka (runs small/athletic) appeals to me more than that of the Kryptek line.
Cut of everything I’ve tried in Kryptek is too loose/baggy.

I believe the Sitka, Kuiu and Firstlite are all made in China 🇨🇳

Duckworth has some pretty good Merino bottoms if they will work for you. they are made in USA of Montana wool.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
These are long bottoms, not shorts, if that makes any difference.

I was actually considering the Firstlite 150 aerowool. I wish they made those in a zip off.

ChrisAU

WKR
These are long bottoms, not shorts, if that makes any difference.

I was actually considering the Firstlite 150 aerowool. I wish they made those in a zip off.

I do too, but I have the 200's and they are thin enough that I sold my Kuiu 145's.

bpurtz

WKR
Honestly, likely neither. I’d opt for Kuiu or Firstlite zip off base layers.
But if it’s got to be between these two, the fit of the Sitka (runs small/athletic) appeals to me more than that of the Kryptek line.
Cut of everything I’ve tried in Kryptek is too loose/baggy.

I tried the Kuiu, but hated the fit.

Northern Playground has a similar zip off that is a merino/polyester/elastane blend. The leg bottom cuff is at the boot/sock line so they are really easy to remove.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Firstlite has the Fuse zip off 200 aerowool but they say 20F to 60F temperature range. The 150 is rated for 45F to over 80F. I just wonder which is better to go with, not having to take it off when it gets hotter or having the convivence of a zip off so you can take it off when it gets hotter.

Firstlite has the Fuse zip off 200 aerowool but they say 20F to 60F temperature range. The 150 is rated for 45F to over 80F. I just wonder which is better to go with, not having to take it off when it gets hotter or having the convivence of a zip off so you can take it off when it gets hotter.
Zip offs are the only way to go. Take them off for the hike in and put them on to glass or sit in your stand. Nice to not have to take your boots off. Too warm? Any additional cost is well worth it.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks AZ_Hunter. That's the way I was originally leaning but didn't want to pass up a good deal if it was too good to pass up.