Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Nightforce

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
Getting ready to dress up 2 rifles for sheep hunting.
Both are 6lbs on the nose. I had initially planned on leupold vx5 and vx6's respectively..but after reading some threads on here. I'm considering abandoning that plan and using a nightforce NXS.
I'm still a couple of years away but i want to get this settled so for range time and not have to tweak anything or tinker here or tinker there.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
You may have read my experience with VX-6HD. My guns are wearing NF and Zeiss now. My confidence in Leupold is shot right now for holding zero...

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
It is..as i am a flatlander, and not accustomed to hiking hills. However durability with my clumsy arse and reliability is utmost concern

OMB

WKR
According to every forum post I've ever read, unless it's a 28 pound boat anchor Nightforce or SWFA with turrets that stick out 14 inches, you'll never hit within a mile of where you're zero'd at. I honestly can't believe anyone has managed to ever kill a sheep, or any animal, without one for that matter.

tdot

WKR
My vote is the NXS 2.5-10×42. IMO it strikes a great balance of weight plus durability/reliability. Bigger, heavier Nightforces are unnecessary, unless you have other goals for the rifles.

Lots of sheep have been shot with other scopes, but lots of sheep have been missed too. After having a Swarovski fail on a Mule Deer hunt, I'm a little more careful about which scopes I choose.

TN VOL

FNG
+1 for Zeiss. I’d also consider Trijicon. NF are great, however many NF models are relatively heavy.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
It's interesting to me... it seems like a lot of people have serious issues with their Leupolds. I own 8 and seem to have no trouble with any of them and I shoot a lot. I even have two VX 2's with CDS that seem to be repeatable. I would never put a 20 + OZ scope on a light rifle. Swaro makes some light scopes as well if you can't stomach the Leupolds but if your's aint broke why fix it?

tuffcity

WKR
My 6.5 kimber wears a Leupold VX 3 with CDS and has taken 3 rams, and wears the scars of the mountain to prove it. It's checked for zero before and after each hunt and hasn't changed a bit. It's the same rifle that my daughter took her ram with at 350 yds.

But... :) My sako 375 wears a Zeiss victory and my wife's sako has a swaro. All good units.

My VX6HD has been rock solid despite a lot of travel and use. But it was my second choice; the NX8 was my first choice but they didn’t have SFP at the time.

If I had to do it again, I’d grab an ATACR in 4-16 and call it a day. I know it’s a bit heavy but it’s solid and has great glass.

3rd on the NXS 42. Awesome scope and you won’t have to worry wether your internal erectors are up to the task of dialing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN VOL

FNG
It's interesting to me... it seems like a lot of people have serious issues with their Leupolds. I own 8 and seem to have no trouble with any of them and I shoot a lot. I even have two VX 2's with CDS that seem to be repeatable. I would never put a 20 + OZ scope on a light rifle. Swaro makes some light scopes as well if you can't stomach the Leupolds but if your's aint broke why fix it?
I have 4 Leopold scopes and I’ve never had a problem with them, however my zeiss scopes are much clearer and brighter. I also have NF and trijicon but my eyes prefer zeiss.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had the nxs 2.5-20 and the swfa 3-9, I’d take the SWFA any day. I’m not a fan of the milR or whatever the reticle is called on the nxs. A 3-9 SWFA with a zeros top shim kit is pretty slick.

Antares

WKR
I have three Leupolds that all work fine. My favorite is the VX5-HD 3-15x44, but I just order an NXS 3-15x50 to replace it so I’m excited to see how I like that.

Getting ready to dress up 2 rifles for sheep hunting.
Both are 6lbs on the nose. I had initially planned on leupold vx5 and vx6's respectively..but after reading some threads on here. I'm considering abandoning that plan and using a nightforce NXS.
I'm still a couple of years away but i want to get this settled so for range time and not have to tweak anything or tinker here or tinker there.
Without knowing how far you want to shoot it’s hard to really say. Although the opportunity for longer shots is always a possibility I have found that you have to be sub 400 to confirm legality anyways. For that reason on a sheep specific rifle light and simple on a system that is worked out paired with competence in field shooting positions is the right recipe.