Which outfitter for the biggest Mule Deer in Wyoming

OP
TERMINATOR
Good luck with your hunt.
You overlooked some great private land opportunities .

And you are dead wrong on the 90/10 split and how it would affect our local economies.
Thank you.

I didn't "overlook" them. I just decided against them and not because I didn't feel they would give me a high quality hunt.

Most of the top "Big Buck" private land outfitters I talked to needed more points than I have now and/or would have im 2023/2024. And if you guys get your way and 90/10 happens the NR Point cost will double and I will never get there so I am taking what I can get with the points I have.

I also have done some private land ranch hunts via 4x4 in Wyoming, had a great time, shot some good bucks and am kind of excited about doing a horse based hunt even though I realize on public land we could run into competition. But Tre's track record suggest we can still be successful.

As far as me being dead wrong....that is kind of hard to prove one way or the other but if the Senators in the Travel, Recreation and Wildlife committee and everyone else believed that...it would have sailed through the the committee 5-0 instead of getting shot down 1-4, been voted on and passed in the legislature and signed by the Governor by now.

Maybe someday you guys will get your wish and 90/10 passes. Then you can find out if all the NRs will just say "OK" and keep applying and buying points. Personally I am burning my Elk, Deer and Antelope points and won't buy any more points if the NR point cost has soared above what it has been. It wont make any sense to if I won't be able to get enough points in the remainder of my hunting lifetime to use them.

The good news is that maybe your dreams will come true, the outfitters will go out of business and won't be able to lease ranches so all will be Nirvana in Wyoming other than the WF&G losing lots of funding and some outfitters losing their way of making a living.

Last edited:
You’ll have a good hunt with Tre. It’ll be a much better and more fun hunting experience too. Private land hunts bore me.

OP
TERMINATOR
You’ll have a good hunt with Tre. It’ll be a much better and more fun hunting experience too. Private land hunts bore me.
Yea, I wanted to do something special for my last Mule Deer hunt in Wyoming.

I liked the idea of that type of hunt. I’m gonna be pretty picky and even if I come home empty-handed I want to at least have had an experience of a lifetime.

EdL

FNG
It's funny that you say that but when I contacted Non Typical Outfitters a few weeks ago their responses were a little arrogant...like I had to prove I was worthy of hunting with them. But I know they get some monsters
Hmm. Surely not a good attitude on their part especially if you go on a hunt with them and don't see a "Worthy Buck ". Honestly I think you have to live in a state with a relentless mindset and also have a lot of luck to see a truly large deer of any kind. I am in the same boat , I have 9 preference points for Deer and 10 Elk points.

@Terminatir

“Senators in the Travel, Recreation and Wildlife committee and everyone else believed that...it would have sailed through the the committee 5-0 instead of getting shot down 1-4,”.

Did it ever occur to you the committee is heavily influenced by the Outfitter lobbyists? Hmmmmm.......?????? Funny how NR think the Outfitters Care about them and protect their interests. How is that hunting in Wikderness areas working out for you? Strange bedfellows. 90/10 isn’t going away it will be modified and perhaps compromises made but ask New Mexico and Nevada DIY NR hunters how they feel about getting permits with Outfitter Welfare. The far far too generous system of awarding 25% of premium tags to NR is simply being modified to keep up with and on par of what most Western states offer. Wyoming has no shortage of revenue for Wyoming hunts and Residents are ready and willing to pay more for our Premium tags.

BuzzH

WKR
Thank you.

I didn't "overlook" them. I just decided against them and not because I didn't feel they would give me a high quality hunt.

Most of the top "Big Buck" private land outfitters I talked to needed more points than I have now and/or would have im 2023/2024. And if you guys get your way and 90/10 happens the NR Point cost will double and I will never get there so I am taking what I can get with the points I have.

I also have done some private land ranch hunts via 4x4 in Wyoming, had a great time, shot some good bucks and am kind of excited about doing a horse based hunt even though I realize on public land we could run into competition. But Tre's track record suggest we can still be successful.

As far as me being dead wrong....that is kind of hard to prove one way or the other but if the Senators in the Travel, Recreation and Wildlife committee and everyone else believed that...it would have sailed through the the committee 5-0 instead of getting shot down 1-4, been voted on and passed in the legislature and signed by the Governor by now.

Maybe someday you guys will get your wish and 90/10 passes. Then you can find out if all the NRs will just say "OK" and keep applying and buying points. Personally I am burning my Elk, Deer and Antelope points and won't buy any more points if the NR point cost has soared above what it has been. It wont make any sense to if I won't be able to get enough points in the remainder of my hunting lifetime to use them.

The good news is that maybe your dreams will come true, the outfitters will go out of business and won't be able to lease ranches so all will be Nirvana in Wyoming other than the WF&G losing lots of funding and some outfitters losing their way of making a living.
Seems to me talking out of your ass and plagiarism are about the only 2 moves you have.

Were you planning on plagiarizing Guy Eastman's whole article with your first rant or did you think changing a word or two would float by?

My advice, don't do that...at least be original in your disinformation campaign on what is happening with 90-10. I realize from your last posts, you have to do what you can considering how few "facts" you bring to the discussion.

As to the committee hearing, obviously you weren't there and didn't listen. There are 2 of the 4 that opposed it that will vote in favor if the wildlife task force doesn't deal with it soon. They said so in testimony that they were inclined to favor Resident hunters.

As to the WYGF funding shortfall...you have no idea what you're talking about. You need to find a new lie to spread, nobody is believing yours.

Here's how easy it would be to make up the difference for license dollars to the GF department under 90-10 for moose, sheep, goat, bison and LQ elk:

Total revenue to GF lost would be: $191,038 from a combination of sheep, moose, bison, and goat permits.

To make up the loss in revenue, with room to spare, raising Resident fishing licenses from $27 annually to $30 annually would raise $222,540. A simple $3 increase in resident fishing licenses would more than cover the NR license revenue.

If full 90-10 was across the board for full priced antlered/horned game, it would be a license revenue loss to the Department of $1,629,634 dollars based on 2020 quotas. (this would assume reduced priced tags stay at current splits, which I'm fine with)

To make up the revenue loss, if we raised every full priced Resident license $10...that would generate $1,486,770.

So....by raising each Resident full priced license sold here by $10 and raising Resident fishing licenses by $3, we would generate $1,709,310. More than enough to cover the license revenue loss for 90-10.

I'll pay that all....day....long for 90% of the available tags and if its framed that way, I think a vast majority of Residents are going to be on board.

All we need to do is continue to apply pressure to our elected officials, and if they don't comply, vote them out and put some in place that support 90-10. The Resident hunters in this State outnumber NR's and outfitters by a huge margin. Resident sportsmen/women are also a powerful and large voting block.

Time to exert the pressure and get what we want...elected officials work for us, not the other way around.

I had an amazing hunt in 2020 with Tre Heiner at Double Diamond Outfitters - Region G tag. PM if you want more details.
Headed out to Tre this year. Would love to hear your feedback/review/experience! im new to rockslide so it wont let me PM you yet.

I talked with all the outfitters identified here and I ended up booking with Tre at Double Diamond for 2024

I appreciate all the people that had suggestions for me to investigate and I will give a report after that hunt.

Good luck hunting
good luck. Im headed out with him this year for mulies rifle. he bought out the camp we had booked, so ive been a little skeptical and worried but hearing some great reviews on these forums. Would love to hear what you have heard in your research as well.

jaeger63

FNG
Terminator,
Did you end up hunting with non-typical outfitters?If not, who did you book with if you don't mind sharing. I sent you a PM as well. I'm just 1 point under max and looking to cash in my points as well in the next few years. I'm now 58 and the mountains are certainly not getting any easier to hunt lol!

OP
TERMINATOR
good luck. Im headed out with him this year for mulies rifle. he bought out the camp we had booked, so ive been a little skeptical and worried but hearing some great reviews on these forums. Would love to hear what you have heard in your research as well.
I heard good things just as I saw here. I heard good things about a lot of top outfitters. But honestly you also need to call the people and ask questions and get a feel for the person. I just felt more comfortable with Tre and he hunts where I have the points to be able to get the tag.

There are some tremendous outfitters that hunt private land and much easier terrain that I just don't have the points for and doubt I will ever get there.

KHNC

WKR
I heard good things just as I saw here. I heard good things about a lot of top outfitters. But honestly you also need to call the people and ask questions and get a feel for the person. I just felt more comfortable with Tre and he hunts where I have the points to be able to get the tag.

There are some tremendous outfitters that hunt private land and much easier terrain that I just don't have the points for and doubt I will ever get there.
You can also check into Eastern Colorado if you want to hunt sooner. Give Dan Ardrey a call at Kiowa Creek Outfitters. He has some true monsters out there and can usually get LO tag if you dont have the points for CO.

719 439 4759

OP
TERMINATOR
You can also check into Eastern Colorado if you want to hunt sooner. Give Dan Ardrey a call at Kiowa Creek Outfitters. He has some true monsters out there and can usually get LO tag if you dont have the points for CO.

719 439 4759
Thanks. I am putting him in my contact list.