Which outfitter for the biggest Mule Deer in Wyoming

OP
TERMINATOR
Probably won't have enough points to draw the tag but
Home | 7D Ranch Outfitting | Personalized Hunting Wyoming

Don't let WYOGA influence you too much a lot of really good outfitters aren't members
That is am exactly why I was asking here.

But their list does document what those outfitters are putting on the ground

I will check out 7 D and how many points their unit needs. Wonder if they have a Type 2 tag there for private land

Edit/Added: Looks like 12-13 points for a NR to get the tag and zero random tags for NR to try for...

Last edited:

mntnguide

WKR
They must still be doing a lot of things right...
2019 - #2 Typical and #1 and #2 Non-Typical Rifle Mule Deer at the WYOGA Big Game Awards
Only 200"+ Mule Deer taken

2018 #1 and #2 Typical and #2 Non-Typical

2020 is not out yet but the two prior years NTO has dominated the top of the board

This is where I started looking for ideas but wanted to see what others thought before I dropped some significant $$$. I am not solely basing my decision on this list from WYOGA Awards but it sure gives some good ideas of who to look at.

I am going to check out Mr. Heiner though now.

You realize a lot of outfitters don't submit animals to the wyoga awards? Like i said, they kill big bucks, but so do other outfits and they just don't brag about it as much. As is said above though, non typical is booked years in advance and if you haven't hunted with him before, you will be low on his list of going after big bucks even if you did get an open spot...i know that for a fact, robb chooses what pre scouted bucks each guide and client are supposed to go after, or at least he use to when he was able to scout from a plane, and previous hunters will always be given preference

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When was that law put in place?
It’s been around 4 years. He still flies earlier in the summer when he’s allowed by law. And for the record it’s the opinion of many people that the law was created specifically because of his scouting practices.

I know guys that guided for him too. Past tense. They all say the same thing and I quote “The guy is a good hunter but a total dick” I know other outfitters who get calls from guys who worked for him and are looking for new positions and they all ditto that.

OP
TERMINATOR
You realize a lot of outfitters don't submit animals to the wyoga awards? Like i said, they kill big bucks, but so do other outfits and they just don't brag about it as much. As is said above though, non typical is booked years in advance and if you haven't hunted with him before, you will be low on his list of going after big bucks even if you did get an open spot...i know that for a fact, robb chooses what pre scouted bucks each guide and client are supposed to go after, or at least he use to when he was able to scout from a plane, and previous hunters will always be given preference

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That’s good to know

Thanks

Yea I was told 2024 to hunt w NTO

Definitely don't want to be at a disadvantage to other hunters in camp but that doesn’t surprise me to hear

Thanks again for sharing your insight. This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to learn about outfitters

OP
TERMINATOR
It’s been around 4 years. He still flies earlier in the summer when he’s allowed by law. And for the record it’s the opinion of many people that the law was created specifically because of his scouting practices.

I know guys that guided for him too. Past tense. They all say the same thing and I quote “The guy is a good hunter but a total dick” I know other outfitters who get calls from guys who worked for him and are looking for new positions and they all ditto that.
Thanks for sharing your insights
I was kinda turned off in my exchanges with them. Now I know why and my impression is ringing true thanks to you guys

My vote would be region G with Tre Heiner. He definitely has his act together. I thought about booking with him this year but found guys with enough elk points to draw a tag so it’ll be another deer point for me.

Rich M

WKR
Not my style but to each his own.
I'm not a game farm kinda guy. The hunt itself is the trophy to me, thankfully I got a 160 inch on my one and only Mule deer hunt so far. Was a bucket list DIY hunt in 0 point unit. Buddy wants to go back and get his. I'm cool w that.

A lot of guys who only want oversized deer w less effort go to the farms. I don't judge just wanted clarification.

OP
TERMINATOR
I'm not a game farm kinda guy. The hunt itself is the trophy to me, thankfully I got a 160 inch on my one and only Mule deer hunt so far. Was a bucket list DIY hunt in 0 point unit. Buddy wants to go back and get his. I'm cool w that.

A lot of guys who only want oversized deer w less effort go to the farms. I don't judge just wanted clarification.
I hear you! It’s all good 👍🏻

Baddog

WKR
Just curious as I never heard of the airplane scouting but how do they know if someone is sightseeing or scouting?

You are correct. And being a non resident in any of the western states sucks. But what does that have to do with this post? I think the other post adressing this is like 38 pages long..
The fact that waiting one extra year the point creep can **** you so bad that you'll never catch it. I waited 1 extra year in Oregon and it jumped from 8 to 10 now 15 so from 8 to 15 points in 2 years. I'll never wait again. Points are a crock of shit.
I didn't know that had already been killed. But just trying to help the OP as waiting an extra year has real effects.
An increase of points only holders that haven't applied before and or a slight reduction in tags can completely crush a decade of point building.