Which outfitter for the biggest Mule Deer in Wyoming

OP
TERMINATOR
The fact that waiting one extra year the point creep can **** you so bad that you'll never catch it. I waited 1 extra year in Oregon and it jumped from 8 to 10 now 15 so from 8 to 15 points in 2 years. I'll never wait again. Points are a crock of shit.
I didn't know that had already been killed. But just trying to help the OP as waiting an extra year has real effects.
An increase of points only holders that haven't applied before and or a slight reduction in tags can completely crush a decade of point building.
I really don’t have a choice on waiting. I have a wilderness pack in Elk trip out of Pinedale that will consume two weeks vacation and a lot of money set for late September.

Only so much time/money available per year...

Fortunately the places I’m looking at hunting mule deer are either dominated by private land and/or so rugged that horses are required and that keeps tag demand relatively low ... so the point cost has remain fairly constant last few years. Might see a bump after last year if a lot of people canceled their hunting plans due to Covid but I don’t expect it to be very drastic where I want to go.

Last edited:
OP
TERMINATOR
Last edited:

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I had a hunt booked with non-typical a few years ago. We found they were not the most professional to deal with- this is coming from someone who has worked in the outfitting business. Long story short, we did not go on the hunt, lost a lot of money in it too.

It got slaughtered in committee
Shot down 4-1
The only “Yes” vote was one of the sponsors if the bill

It just got kicked to a task force for review and edit, presumably to make sure the outfitters aren’t left out in the cold. Regardless, I don’t think the bill impacted region g or h tags beyond the price of deer tags increasing.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It just got kicked to a task force for review and edit, presumably to make sure the outfitters aren’t left out in the cold. Regardless, I don’t think the bill impacted region g or h tags beyond the price of deer tags increasing.
I think your over looking people dropping out from thier "dream" units and dropping those points on a unit like G which would indeed cause some point creep

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
TERMINATOR
The outfitters hate the bill. It would destroy their businesses. Not many residents hire them. I had 6 different outfitters from Wyoming that I have dealt with email me asking me to email the Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee and ask them to fail the bill (which I did...I emailed all 5 of them and I made a publicly recorded comment on the bill). They killed it by a 4-1 Margin with only Senator Schuler (a co-sponsor of the bill) voting "Yes"

It is dead for 2021

The same asshole, Senator Hicks introduced the same bill in 2020 and it was shot down then also. Two years in a row this has died in commitee and never even gone to a vote on the Senate floor.

The outfitters expect him to file it again in 2022 and try and get more support. It isn't very popular because even the idiot politicians know it would have devestating impact on the economies of the towns in Wyoming because resident hunters spend nothing but gas to hunt while non-residents buy lodging meals, supplies and gas etc. and they know that it will cripple the Wyoming Game and Fish budgets

That bill is dead for 2021. It died in comittee and will not be voted on in the senate in 2021

Last edited:

V-TRAIN

WKR
They were not on my radar yet. Non-Typical was, Trophy Mountain was, Wagonhound was...but not them.

I will PM you in a few days when I am off "Rookie Probation" and can PM :)
I have gone with trophy mountain, went year before last, had a great time.
Dustin is a great outfitter, and I would go with him again for sure.
He has 2 different camps, one is a drive in, other is wilderness, about a 3 hour ride on horses.
I did the wilderness.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 151
OP
TERMINATOR
I have gone with trophy mountain, went year before last, had a great time.
Dustin is a great outfitter, and I would go with him again for sure.
He has 2 different camps, one is a drive in, other is wilderness, about a 3 hour ride on horses.
I did the wilderness.
Great Mulie! Congrats!

The same asshole, Senator Hicks introduced the same bill in 2020 and it was shot down then also. Two years in a row this has died in commitee and never even gone to a vote on the Senate floor.

The outfitters expect him to file it again in 2022 and try and get more support. It isn't very popular because even the idiot politicians know it would have devestating impact on the economies of the towns in Wyoming because resident hunters spend nothing but gas to hunt while non-residents buy lodging meals, supplies and gas etc. and they know that it will cripple the Wyoming Game and Fish budgets
90/10 isn’t going away, it will just be replaced with a scheme the outfitters will support and then NR hunters jumping in bed with the Outfitters association love fest will surely end. Almost Every Western state has gone to very similar type drawing percentages for R to NR mix. The bill would have increased license revenue by $8 million had it passed as worded so no loss of funds and actually increased funding for Wyoming Game and Fish. You claim you wrote all 5 politicians as a NR well glad you think you had some pull there but I can assure you NR had zero pull as it should be. Many of those great expenditures by NR are Utah NR hunters who fill their gas up in Salt Lake and buy all their groceries at the local Costco in Salt Lake and then drive to area G to go deer hunting 4 hours away and return without spending a dime in Wyoming. At current 25% of sheep tags and 20% of all moose tags go to NR hunters. Show me a state in the West where anywhere even close exists. Wyoming resident hunters have been far far too generous for far too long. No revenue will ever be lost as Wyoming still needs NR hunters to come hunt antelope and cow elk but the days of giving away 25% of premium tags like sheep, mountain goats and buffalo and 20% of many other species are going away very soon.

OP
TERMINATOR
90/10 isn’t going away, it will just be replaced with a scheme the outfitters will support and then NR hunters jumping in bed with the Outfitters association love fest will surely end. Almost Every Western state has gone to very similar type drawing percentages for R to NR mix. The bill would have increased license revenue by $8 million had it passed as worded so no loss of funds and actually increased funding for Wyoming Game and Fish. You claim you wrote all 5 politicians as a NR well glad you think you had some pull there but I can assure you NR had zero pull as it should be. Many of those great expenditures by NR are Utah NR hunters who fill their gas up in Salt Lake and buy all their groceries at the local Costco in Salt Lake and then drive to area G to go deer hunting 4 hours away and return without spending a dime in Wyoming. At current 25% of sheep tags and 20% of all moose tags go to NR hunters. Show me a state in the West where anywhere even close exists. Wyoming resident hunters have been far far too generous for far too long. No revenue will ever be lost as Wyoming still needs NR hunters to come hunt antelope and cow elk but the days of giving away 25% of premium tags like sheep, mountain goats and buffalo and 20% of many other species are going away very soon.
I think it is funny you believe that "projected" $8M increase in funding.

Apparently none of the politicians do or else they would have passed it instead of shooting it down in comittee 4-1. The simpleton politician math of cut the tags in half but make it up by doubling the cost falls apart when you realize that not everybody is going to say "sure....I gladly pay 2x as much" and the number of applicants declines.

Much less how they are going to end up with $8Million MORE by cutting the tags in half and doubling the cost even if the applications stayed flat.

No, if they believed that number they would have passed the bill. But they didn't. They realize that nonresident hunters contribute a massive haul of more than 77% of the total licensing revenue generated by the state of Wyoming. In addition, nonresident applicants in Wyoming contribute more than $12,000,000 worth of preference point fees each and every year to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s budget, while resident applicants only pony up a total of $100,000.

Someday you might get your wish of fewer NR tags but first they have to figure out how to replace $Millions in NR money. They would need to get a LOT more out of those resident hunters.

Last edited:

Apparently none of the politicians do or else they would have passed it instead of shooting it down in comittee 4-1. The simpleton politician math of cut the tags in half but make it up by double the cost falls apart when you realize that not everybody is going to say "sure....I gladly pay 2x as much" and the number of applicants declines.

Much less how they are going to end up with $8Million MORE by cutting the tags in half and doubling the cost even if the applications stayed flat.

No, if they believed that number they would have passed the bill. But they didn't. They realize that nonresident hunters contribute a massive haul of more than 77% of the total licensing revenue generated by the state of Wyoming. In addition, nonresident applicants in Wyoming contribute more than $12,000,000 worth of preference point fees each and every year to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s budget, while resident applicants only pony up a total of $100,000.

Someday you might get your wish if fewer NR tags but first they have to figure out how to replace $Millions in NR money. They would need to get a LOT more out of those resident hunters.

Obviously you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Might want to study up a little before claiming you know something you don't. Just saying...

Just took a screen shot of your earlier post to send over to Senator Hicks. Keep them coming.

Apparently none of the politicians do or else they would have passed it instead of shooting it down in comittee 4-1. The simpleton politician math of cut the tags in half but make it up by double the cost falls apart when you realize that not everybody is going to say "sure....I gladly pay 2x as much" and the number of applicants declines.

Someday you might get your wish if fewer NR tags but first they have to figure out how to replace $Millions in NR money. They would need to get a LOT more out of those resident hunters.
You fail to realise nobody in Wyoming is attempting to cut NR tags. We want and need that money and yes increased fees are an inevitable part of funding our wildlife we gladly will pay for and fund. NR will NOT have 25% of premium tags when 90/10 passes as most all other Western states now provide. We still want and need NR to hunt antelope, elk in General License areas and whitetail deer but in the future the premium Limited entry tags are going to go to Resident hunters and at 90/10 to NR. The funding will stay the same or increase as we never have difficulty finding NR hunters which provide an ever increasing stream of revenue to continue to fund our Game and Fish and they obviously enjoy antelope, cow elk, General license elk hunting and whitetail deer hunting and will continue to do so. We are just modernising our licenses allocation drawing system so as to be on par with most other Western states. The far far too generous system of Wyoming residents losing premium tags will soon be rectified.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t think of that name the other day. I’d book with him before Non Typical. Rob Wiley is not the funnest or nicest guy to spend a week with. Way more hunters too.
Rob books LOTS of hunters so make sure and ask about all the ones that don’t get an opportunity as well. They do kill some really good ones too.

Thomas11

WKR
You realize a lot of outfitters don't submit animals to the wyoga awards? Like i said, they kill big bucks, but so do other outfits and they just don't brag about it as much. As is said above though, non typical is booked years in advance and if you haven't hunted with him before, you will be low on his list of going after big bucks even if you did get an open spot...i know that for a fact, robb chooses what pre scouted bucks each guide and client are supposed to go after, or at least he use to when he was able to scout from a plane, and previous hunters will always be given preference

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I would never hunt w a guide like that! But then again I prolly would never do a guided hunt anyway unless logistics dictated it. But that is about as bad as it gets above in my opinion

wytx

WKR
Good luck with your hunt.
You overlooked some great private land opportunities .

And you are dead wrong on the 90/10 split and how it would affect our local economies.