Which Pack do I Need?

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
For the most part I am an eastern mountain whitetail hunter but would like a pack I could quarter a deer and haul it out with. Treestand hunting would be the primary use with the ability to haul meat. I have looked at the Kifaru Stryker and Mystery Ranch Metcalf and feel like either would be good choices for my use. I have zero experience with high end backpacks and am kind of at a loss. I would like to have a frame that I could attach a smaller pack and then buy and switch to a bigger pack if I ever decide to take an elk trip.

Last edited:
I think teh Eberlestock X2 is a perfect pack for what you are looking for. It is a GREAT whitetail day pack. It can carry anything you might need (treestand, decoy, blind, extra clothes, etc). It can also easily carry broken down whitetail. I have done it many times.

I have also carried moose quarters and caribou quarters with it. But for loads that big, there are way better backs out there.

But for a daypack that can carry out the first load of meat, the X2 is great.

And it can often be found for $150... (sorry. It was available for that price back in the day. Now, it looks like $250 is about the best price)

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I think you could make due with the MR. You'd be happier with it than the Eberle I think. I didn't find them very comfortable when I tried one on.

For the most part I am an eastern mountain whitetail hunter but would like a pack I could quarter a deer and haul it out with. Treestand hunting would be the primary use with the ability to haul meat. I have looked at the Kifaru Stryker and Mystery Ranch Metcalf and feel like either would be good choices for my use. I have zero experience with high end backpacks and am kind of at a loss. I would like to have a frame that I could attach a smaller pack and then buy and switch to a bigger pack if I ever decide to take an elk trip.

I too am an eastern whitetail hunter from NJ and literally yesterday ordered this to attach to a Kifaru frame https://www.ebay.com/itm/331650880262 . I love the idea of a striker for packing treestands but the price to me seems excessive when the cargo panel that Kifaru used to sell was like $70 and all the striker is is a cargo panel with a 1000 CI pocket sewn on. At less than $40 I get something that's super durable for a fraction of the money and with the molle I can run a drybag in the panel and strap a daypack to the outside molle.

Then for western hunting I will use the 44 mag or reckoning I haven't decided which I want yet.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I have Kuiu Pro 2300 system for a daypack and if I need more, I can buy a 3600, 6000 or 7800 cubic inch bag to go on the same frame/suspension. I also believe they are coming out with a few more bags later this month. I really like the system although I have not hauled out any deer yet, Check out the videos on You Tube and Kuiu.com. It's pretty simple to use.

NoWiser

WKR
Be cautious about the Eberlestock X2. That was the worst piece of gear I've ever strapped to my body. I'm 5'10" and about 165 pounds. If you are my size or taller, I'd stay away. The bottom of that frame bruised my lower back and that god-awful belt wore the skin right off my hips.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I'm 6'2 and 195 pounds. So is there a certain length frame for me? Should you go with a longer frame just for versatility?

You could buy the Metcalf. It's plenty large enough for a few nights out, but can also be compressed down nicely for use as a day pack. If you still wanted to buy a dedicated smaller bag only, the Pintler is available as a bag only option as is the Mule. All three use the Guidelite MT frame, which is a gorilla when it comes to hauling meat.

Another great option would be a Sawtooth 45 with an optional Day Lid. Same great frame and the Sawtooth has great accessibility with its 270* zipper. The Day lid can be detached and used alone as a day pack. Loads of versatility and cheaper than a Metcalf with the addition smaller bag options. I just added this set up myself and plan on using it on a Muley hunt in Oct. Only training with it so far, and dialing in the fit, but very capable and comfortable under load.

Last edited:

ShaneC

FNG
I too am an eastern whitetail hunter from NJ and literally yesterday ordered this to attach to a Kifaru frame https://www.ebay.com/itm/331650880262 . I love the idea of a striker for packing treestands but the price to me seems excessive when the cargo panel that Kifaru used to sell was like $70 and all the striker is is a cargo panel with a 1000 CI pocket sewn on. At less than $40 I get something that's super durable for a fraction of the money and with the molle I can run a drybag in the panel and strap a daypack to the outside molle.

Then for western hunting I will use the 44 mag or reckoning I haven't decided which I want yet.

Can you post some pics of your setup? This has me curious. Thanks,

Can you post some pics of your setup? This has me curious. Thanks,

The kifaru frame is a birthday present and I haven't received it yet but this thread is why I ordered that Molle Sling. There are pictures of of a Ilbe Bag on the Kifaru frame and farther down the page is the sling with dry bag and a pouch mounted on the molle.

Kifaru. I've run several of their bag configurations without any disappointment. They're a little heavy as day packs but are phenomenal under heavy loads. My buddy and I hauled a cow elk in one trip and didn't have any issues. Each pack was easily 100+ pounds.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I’m leaning heavily toward kifaru just because of the many options of bag styles. Is there any other backpacks I should be looking at for a duel purpose rig?

I’m leaning heavily toward kifaru just because of the many options of bag styles. Is there any other backpacks I should be looking at for a duel purpose rig?
I'm sure KUIU and MR packs have their followers as well. Packs are like shoes; you find what fits your "shape" and puts the weight where you feel stable. You might try networking with other hunters in your area who have the brands you'd like to try. I don't know anyone who's so selfish with their gear they wouldn't let you try it out. It's the perfect show and tell opportunity.

TheGDog

WKR
Go big in size on a kifaru pack. It's real nice to be able to haul everything and the kitchen sink. And when you're not using all that space, ya just cinch the straps down.

I also find it very convenient for hauling eCaller and MOJO and a couple seating options, shooting sticks, and having plenty of room for thick layers ya sometimes need.

It's especially nice when you're hunting steeper places and need your hands freed up for moving from one stand to another.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I had an Eberle X2 and thought it was perfect until I put weight in it. I found out that they are no bueno for torsos 17” or longer.
I got a MR Cabinet on the classifieds here and a pintler pack from Camofire. Very happy with my choice. The Cabinet is awesome for Western hunting from camp with glass, tripod and necessary gear to kill and process and haul back to camp, and the Pintler will do the same and have space for layers for late season. Both will pack camp in with a 50L dry bag loaded on the load shelf.
70# on the MR was a comfy weight, when the X2 sucked even for short hikes with 30#...and I’m an over 50 guy in construction work shape, not a gym/training fan.
The pack (for me) carries so well that when setup for day hunting even though it’s 5lb empty it’s more comfy than much lighter frameless style ruck I used to use.

HuntnPack

WKR
EXO 1800 or 2000 is a great option.
they compress down & expand as needed.
Very comfortable with full loads.
(Important for a guy near 64yrs)
I added the lid & belt pouches & load panel
& a couple zip in pouches to my 2000.
I also use various gear/stuff Sacks in the
Large main compartment for convenience.
Makes it super versatile. I can use it stripped down & compressed for day trip or Max it out
for overnight hunts.
I’ll be picking up another larger bag (3500 -4800) to swap to for extended backcountry hunts.
I’ve been using their packs for a few years.
Great Quality & customer service.
Also great product information videos.
View attachment 194315

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Buddy had an Elberstock pack last year, I loaned him my Exo Mountain K2 for a Caribou hunt. He now owns an Exo K3.

An Exo K3 1800 or 3200 would work well. The frame is more than capable of hauling tree stands and such. You would have a hard time going wrong with Seek Outside, Stone Glacier, or Kifaru as well. To my understanding the Kifaru frame does not work on its own (I don't own one, so I could be wrong). I rather like being able to drop the pack bag and use only the frame for hauling odd loads.

bdg848

WKR
I have a mystery ranch pintler that is the perfect size for me for a 1-2 day hunt and I have a MR terraframe 80 Liter bag that fits on the frame for when I'm going out west.