Which pack raft for Charley River?

msimcik

FNG
Planning a hunt on the Charley River to hunt the 40-mile heard. Is one Kork per hunter sufficient to float the Charley, or do I need to go with the bigger Legend?

Schaaf

WKR
I floated that general area last year. We each had a Kork, and each had a caribou on the way out. Worked perfect.

Kork per man is the way to do it. We did it in 2018 and we had 2 PR-49’s and a kork. Kork was supreme on that hunt. Anything bigger and you could be stuck high and dry if the river is low.

Here’s my post from the hunt.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Kork per man is the way to do it. We did it in 2018 and we had 2 PR-49’s and a kork. Kork was supreme on that hunt. Anything bigger and you could be stuck high and dry if the river is low.

We were debating (i.e. cost cutting) if we could get by with 2 hunters per Legend (sub 200# humans). Dexter, it appeared by your description you and your wife were in 1 raft?

Also your entire group started and ended in Circle? Who did you fly with?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Here’s my post from the hunt.

That was an awesome thread, I don't know how I missed that. All of my float trips have been fairly short, like gettting dropped off and picked up 2-3 days later, I'd love to do a 10+ day hunt with the possibility of multiple species at some point.

We were debating (i.e. cost cutting) if we could get by with 2 hunters per Legend (sub 200# humans). Dexter, it appeared by your description you and your wife were in 1 raft?

I would not want to be dragging a legend if it’s a low water year. Yes we got picked up in circle by Tok air service and floated back to circle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

The legend is a cool boat, my friend has one. I think it could handle 2 people for caribou hunting but Id think it would get pretty heavy and tough to maneuver with. I could be wrong though, Id say if you put a moose in it, it would certainly be too small for 2 people and a moose. 2 years ago we got dropped off by boat and spent a few days floating back and looking for moose, we did end up shooting a good moose, my buddy had a legend and I had a PR49. That trip made me realize that a much as I love my PR49, I think I want to get something a bit bigger like a Kork or a legend.