which pack size?

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to pull the trigger on a kuiu pack. It will be the wifes for backpack camping and mine for backpack hunts. camp trips will be pretty short for the next few years. hunts will be up to 10 days for mostly sheep. cant decide between the 5000 or the 7000. most hunts will not be solo. am i pushing my luck packing food for 10 days or trying to pack out a sheep with a full camp in the bag? my camp stuff is about average size. I dont pack the kitchen sink but im also not a total weight saving nut.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
10 days sheep hunting??? You'll never be sad you got the 7000 cu in pack. Air weighs nothing and the extra space is very welcomed when you tip over something and coming out with all your gear, meat, cape, and horns.

I would go with the 7000. I have one of the original ICON 6000s and if you don't have lightweight gear it fills up pretty fast. You will appreciate the extra space.

Personally I think you could go smaller (5000ci) if you utilized exterior sil-pods.
I think your wife will appreciate it as well.
Hunt'nFish

crumy

WKR
I just got my DT1 and packed it today with the list I have been working on for an 8 day elk hunt in Sept. Going to be my first hunt greater than 3 days so by no means do I even think I know what I am doing. but my bag weighed 42.5 pound without water and it was PACKED to the VERY top of the snow collar. So I would say go with 7000. Granted I probably could pack a little better and probably need to refine my list more. But to give you an idea... here is what I packed.

42.5 pounds

Need to add water

In order it went in

Sleeping Bag

Kill Kit
Water Filter
Bivy
First Aid kit
jet boil
titan cup
2 pair wool socks
back rest chair
predator pants
preadator coat
apx coat (rain/snow) gear
head net
tarp w/annex
tent stakes
2 predator shirts
8 meals with spoon in bg
merino shirt

3 underwear

fleece pulover

In outside pockets

gloves
gps
release

elk calls

natrapel

powdersmoke

25 ft paracord

in side pocket

bugle

Bow on outside

dotman

WKR
I just got my DT1 and packed it today with the list I have been working on for an 8 day elk hunt in Sept. Going to be my first hunt greater than 3 days so by no means do I even think I know what I am doing. but my bag weighed 42.5 pound without water and it was PACKED to the VERY top of the snow collar. So I would say go with 7000. Granted I probably could pack a little better and probably need to refine my list more. But to give you an idea... here is what I packed.

42.5 pounds

Need to add water

In order it went in

Sleeping Bag

Kill Kit
Water Filter
Bivy
First Aid kit
jet boil
titan cup
2 pair wool socks
back rest chair
predator pants
preadator coat
apx coat (rain/snow) gear
head net
tarp w/annex
tent stakes
2 predator shirts
8 meals with spoon in bg
merino shirt

3 underwear

fleece pulover

In outside pockets

gloves
gps
release

elk calls

natrapel

powdersmoke

25 ft paracord

in side pocket

bugle

Bow on outside

You only eating once a day :)

crumy

WKR
Plan on eating elk :). No. I didn't put my oatmeal snacks and lunch because I didn't have them. So I fig 45-50 total

G Posik

WKR
I will end up with a bag or my SG at the7k. I have the solo with two 1000 cu in long pockets. I can put EVERYTHING for a 10 day Colorado elk hunt in there. It has the meat shelf so I have that for meat carry. Then after camp and meat out first trip, then shelf and bag get filled. This is good for early season stuff. Will get the. Bigger bag for some really late season stuff. I have my list dialed in and works great. Total weight is 47 lbs. That is food and water.

Glenn

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I had my weight calculated to be 57 pounds before I ordered the pack. I will save a little under three pounds with the extra hip belt pockets and pack cover added. I also ordered the supper down hooded jacket and that almost saved me a pound over my big fleece that will be staying home. 54 pounds with 7 days food,rifle,and no water is sounding pretty good. Now what to blow money on next to save a little weight?