Which Pack?

1quaidm

FNG
Hey everyone! I am looking to get a day pack / weekend pack at an entry level budget. I am currently interested in two packs and am wondering if any meat hauling veterans can give me some advice. The first pack is the Killik Mountain 2800ci Hunting Pack and the Alps Outdoorz Hybrid X. They are both around the same size with similar meat hauling capability and each around $250 (Alps is on sale). Hoping someone has some imput to separate one from the other. Other pack suggestions are appreciated as well.

Killik Mountain 2800ci
https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...killik-mountain-2800ci-hunting-pack/p/1511356

Alps Outdoorz Hybrid X
http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/hybrid-x

What do you plan on packing out?
I do not have any experience with either of these packs but after looking at their advertising I would be leery of the Killik because of the easy adjustment. My experience with such systems they tend to move under a heavy load.
My advice is to buy “used”. There are a lot of the more proven packs for sale on this site. Most of them have interchangeable bags so you can upsize or downsize in the future. Worst case you can re-list it and get your money back.
I personally run Stone Glacier’s Solo 3300 for day and weekend hunts and the Sky 5900 for longer. Just picked up a used Avail 2200 for day non-hunting trips on this site at a really good price.
As they say buy once cry once.

87TT

WKR
EXO fan here. I will say, you get what you pay for. I have a Kuiu Ultra 6000 sitting on a shelf and it is nowhere near the pack an EXO is. I wish I would have bought the EXO first or one of the other "better" packs. Not a bargain if it sucks under load.

I would say your pack is just as important as your optics, boots or weapon. Try to buy the best you can afford you will find a huge difference in quality and comfort. I personally went down the cheaper pack path for years- every year or two I was having to buy a new one. Then I finally made the investment in a kifaru pack and it has been a game changer. Kifaru & EXO both have some awesome packs and you won’t be sorry you made the investment in your gear. “ buy once , cry once “

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have the alps hybrid X. It works great for my situation. I live in a low hill range full of elk.( No crazy elevations or long pack in needed) the pack is well made( but heavier than most top line packs) handles Elk quarters easily( moose quarters were a bit heavy and awkward so needed to be broken down) the bag is plenty big for a day pack but would be a bit small to use as a 3-5day pack unless the overload shelf is used. For the money I have been super happy with it.

D_shear

FNG
I would say your pack is just as important as your optics, boots or weapon. Try to buy the best you can afford you will find a huge difference in quality and comfort. I personally went down the cheaper pack path for years- every year or two I was having to buy a new one. Then I finally made the investment in a kifaru pack and it has been a game changer. Kifaru & EXO both have some awesome packs and you won’t be sorry you made the investment in your gear. “ buy once , cry once “

I went down the same road this would be my suggestion as well

bozeman

WKR
There is a STEAL of a deal on a Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 in the classifieds which is a tremendous pack. I've owned the Big 4 and kept the Unaweep 4800, carries weight very well and stabilized loads. Good luck with your search!

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
What do you plan on packing out?
I do not have any experience with either of these packs but after looking at their advertising I would be leery of the Killik because of the easy adjustment. My experience with such systems they tend to move under a heavy load.
My advice is to buy “used”. There are a lot of the more proven packs for sale on this site. Most of them have interchangeable bags so you can upsize or downsize in the future. Worst case you can re-list it and get your money back.
I personally run Stone Glacier’s Solo 3300 for day and weekend hunts and the Sky 5900 for longer. Just picked up a used Avail 2200 for day non-hunting trips on this site at a really good price.
As they say buy once cry once.
I run a Stone Glacier Solo and absolutely love it.