Which Phelps mouth call?

I watch the webinar with Jason Phelps and the Elknut himself. It was a great webinar and I somehow won a Phelps bugle tube and now I feel like i should buy a couple mouth calls from Jason but have no idea which ones.

What does everyone use???? White, gray, red to many for me to decide lol.

I am a mid level elk caller, can make decent bugles and cow calls, no pro but with 25 years in the turkey woods and 6 years on elk, mostly using a diaphragm call.

Sorry, if this has been posted before I couldn't find anything in recent history.

nowen22

FNG
I personally like gray and pink. I’ve had good results with them over the last few years. But a few different ones and see what you like. Everybody is going to have a different preference!

Broadhead

FNG
I have had good luck with the BRO (Born and Raised Outdoors) Editions. They sell a multi-pack with the Committed, The Reason, and Tagged Out calls so you can try them all. It looks like the multi-pack is currently on sale for $25 on their website. My personal preference is The Reason, followed by Tagged Out. Committed is just a little soft for my preference.

ElkNut1

WKR
Congrats On the Bugle & thanks!

If you are a proficient caller with reeds the Pink Amp (Jasons signature one) is hard to beat!

If newer to the game & want a softer more user friendly latex/reed then the Black first & the Gray one 2nd.

ElkNut

Ditto with whats said above...I just ordered the Maverick and have been playing around with it the past couple of weeks and really really like the sounds I can get out of it (both cow and bull)

The pink Phelps signature is my favorite, with the Maverick coming in a close second.

Green, grey, black... really all the ones I have tried are good though.

hobbes

WKR
I like the blue taped Bro series call and the Maverick. I've tried the other two Bro series from the pack but preferred the blue.
I've not had a chance to try anything else.

Last edited:
I'm a mediocre caller. Just got the Red/Pink, wanted the Grey but was out of stock.
I think all 3 are good to go.

ElkNut1

WKR
By the way guys, those of you who have our ElkNut Mobile App can pickup Bugles & Reeds from Phelps GameCalls at 10% off with the Code - ELKNUT10 - May as well take advantage of this; heck with a Bugle & couple of Reeds a guy could darn near pay for the App with their 10% discount. Something to consider for those who do not have the App yet! Good luck!

To receive the discount you have to order off the App, thanks!

ElkNut

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the gray and maverick. The black is soft, but I can make some nice cow sounds with it.

Hey_Bear

FNG
I like them all for different situations. But if I had to pick 3...Red Maverick, Pink Juggernaut and White

Maverick = lip bawls, challenge bugles, grunts and chuckles. Super easy to crack the high note even when worn out.

Pink= A good multi purpose reed when fresh, can do most of what the maverick will do but when worn its harder to crack the high note, however it becomes the best nasely cow call out there. I always keep my wore out pinks for cow calls.

White= Best high pitch location bugle reed and high pitched cow call.

Thats how I use them, of course in a pinch each one can cross over and do whatever call you need if your practiced enough.

hobbes

WKR
Mouth calls seldom work the same from person to person. Everyone has a slight different shaped palate, difference in how they apply tongue pressure, air volume, and skill. There are calls (both elk and turkey) that I've seen folks rave about that I think suck.