Which Phelps mouth call?

Mouth calls seldom work the same from person to person. Everyone has a slight different shaped palate, difference in how they apply tongue pressure, air volume, and skill. There are calls (both elk and turkey) that I've seen folks rave about that I think suck.

This. Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls has a chart going by latex thickness/calling difficulty and palate shape. Figures why I love the Blue and Yellow and struggled with Green and a couple others; I have a flat palate and the rounded plastic tops screw up positioning.

Austink47

WKR
Pink, grey, white, if I only had one maverick. They are all good just what works for you.

This may have been already stated but Jason says to start with the black and gray amp calls and go from there. Try emailing or calling them, I've heard they are great people.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Pink as the all around for me, then white for screaming location bugles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats On the Bugle & thanks!

If you are a proficient caller with reeds the Pink Amp (Jasons signature one) is hard to beat!

If newer to the game & want a softer more user friendly latex/reed then the Black first & the Gray one 2nd.

ElkNut

So the black and grey are for beginners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Fridaythe13th
Thanks for the help, I made to scheels this weekend and bought the gray, red mavericks and the pink signature. The gray and the maverick are pretty awesome the pink is definitely not for a beginner but I have time and love the challenge and have a good feeling it going to get much better because I'm already improving

Elknut I well order from you before the season after I figure my go to call or calls.

I've been using Rocky Mountain calls for some time.
This evening I picked up Phelps in Pink, Grey, and Black. Very impressed with all of them.
I find them easier out the box when compared to Rocky Mountain calls. They may simply fit my palate better.
Looking forward to using them this season!

Pretty much running Gray all the time now. I carry a pink so I can change it up every now and then but usually rotate 2 grays.

jolemons

WKR
I feel it's more about palate shape, less about skill for many of the calls. I can't cow talk with Phelps, but Rocky Mt works great for my mouth. I try about 20 calls each year to find what works best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Phelps pink and maverick for me. I can run white or gray too but the other two are Goldilocks. Just right

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
Maverick and the Pitch Black #1 with an occasional #2-3. Have a pink and purple on the way so maybe that will change.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

I watch the webinar with Jason Phelps and the Elknut himself. It was a great webinar and I somehow won a Phelps bugle tube and now I feel like i should buy a couple mouth calls from Jason but have no idea which ones.

What does everyone use???? White, gray, red to many for me to decide lol.

I am a mid level elk caller, can make decent bugles and cow calls, no pro but with 25 years in the turkey woods and 6 years on elk, mostly using a diaphragm call.

Sorry, if this has been posted before I couldn't find anything in recent history.
I liked the gray at first and can still use it well, but now my favorites are the pink and the red/green dirk durham ones for sure. I feel like they last longer and i can call louder with them

Gapmaster

WKR
Big fan of the pitch black 2&3. The Maverick is close second. The white is right up there too. I chuckle better with the Maverick though. Gives good deep tones.

I run with the Phelps Pink, Maverick Red, and the Gray. Tried a few others from Phelps and found the above 3 and a good bugle tube covers most of my hunting scenarios. I also like the Phelps external Reed calls.