Which Primaloft/puffy pants to buy?

I'm looking to buy a pair of primaloft pants, and was wondering what people recommended and for what reasons. Of the few that I've looked at, I've liked the Barney's pants the best, I'm just having a hard time dropping $210 on them. So I guess I'm looking for the best deal I can find on a good pair of puffy pants. Any suggestions? I'll need them by early Oct. so I have plenty of time to order, if I have to go that route.

bhtkevin

FNG
I was asking myself the same question and havent found anything I really liked. Maybe the Sitka Kelvin?

if they made a kelvin light at half the weight id already have a set. looked at the mtn hardware compressor just something i couldnt place i didnt like...

Lawnboi

WKR
arcteryx makes some good synthetic puffy stuff. Dont remember the name off the top of my head but i have an arcteryx puffy top that is the same thing and i really like it.

I need to get a pair of thier pants yet, i have the thin puffy top of thiers and i also want to get there thicker puffy jacket which also has a hood.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We wear Mountain hard wear compressor pants, and have used them for at least the last three seasons (maybe longer, I forget). You may be able to find them on sale if you bargain hunt a bit. Reinforced in the seat and knees, but Luke still managed to tear a small hole in the lower leg of his somehow. I patched it easily with repair tape, and they were good to go again. We don't backpack without them, they are awesome!

Found online for around $130... Not ultralight at 20oz, but great to have if you find yourself bivying overnight away from your sleeping bag.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Heres a link to the arcteryx ones that i will be getting, i have the atom LT pullover of thiers and really like it. The thickness is a hair thinner than kuiu's spindrift jacket so it is not the heavy puffy pant you might be thinking of. It is still very warm though, the material really lofts well and I think the lack of seams really helps.

Iv used my arcteryx puffy top alot as an outer layer and the fabric, while ultra light, sure is holding up very well. It has a killer DWR as well. The tops are also nice because you can get them with or without hoods, and also they have a stretchy material under the arms to aid in movement.

12.5 oz for the pant, aint going to get too much lighter than that.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Atom-LT-Pant#Coreloft

OP
AK Troutbum
Thanks for all your input. I ended up ordering a pair of MH compressors for $112 through e-OMC, a website that I found out about through another website www.trailspace.com If anyones looking for some great deals on gear, check trailspace out.
Thanks again.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on Troutbum, I think you'll really like them, and that is a great price!!!

SDHNTR

WKR
Sitka Kelvin is awesome for stand sits, but wouldn't want to hike much in em. The Kelvin Lite is a better choice for light activity.

bhtkevin

FNG
I bought them for camp after hunting all day and maybe for long horseback rides. Found Kelvin's new for $112 if anyone is interested.