Which Rifle should I build?

Brad61537

FNG
I know this has been brought up before but I'm looking for advice or I guess a reason to build/buy another gun lol. I want to build a new rifle from the ground up, my only other "build" has been based on a Remington Sendero that I basically sent into bartlein & had them true the action/bolt, new barrel, trigger, stock, bedding etc etc etc. Which by the way is an absolute tack driver using 245gr berger EH's. I'm already running both a 300 RUM & 7 Rem Mag so looking for something other than those 2 calibers. I'm leaning towards a 300 WSM mostly because I just love using 30 cals for hunting although I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my 7 RM for deer hunting pushing 180 bergers @ 3050+ fps. I do reload & want something capable of shooting & hunting long range with enough killing power out to 600-800 yds. I realize this is not a need but more of a want, so basically looking for any suggestions that you may have? Experience with 300 WSM or other 30 cals? I have also heard great things mentioned about the 28 nosler but kinda want to stay in the 30 cal range. Thanks guys.

ROJO23

FNG
I have a 300wsm that I had built on Remington Action, and a brux barrel. I shoot 180 grain bullets at 3000fps at 1/2" or better moa. I killed an elk this past season at 560 yards without any problem.

One thing I dislike is feeding the 1st round into chamber from the magazine. some times the 1st round is very tough getting into the chamber. I ground down the feed lips on the action and it fixed the problem. Loading the 2nd round has never been an issue. a detachable magazine is another option that will fix the issue.

i like shooting it, recoil is not bad at all

OP
Brad61537

Brad61537

FNG
I have a 300wsm that I had built on Remington Action, and a brux barrel. I shoot 180 grain bullets at 3000fps at 1/2" or better moa. I killed an elk this past season at 560 yards without any problem.

One thing I dislike is feeding the 1st round into chamber from the magazine. some times the 1st round is very tough getting into the chamber. I ground down the feed lips on the action and it fixed the problem. Loading the 2nd round has never been an issue. a detachable magazine is another option that will fix the issue.

i like shooting it, recoil is not bad at all
Yes I'm liking what I'm reading so far on the 300 wsm.

300wsm just set 1000yd benchrest record. He shot a 2.6” 10shot on his relay...added bonus 10x.
Probably THE most impressive 10 shot string ever shot in any competition EVER. And the match he shot it at isn’t known to spit out tiny groups.

Spoonbill

WKR
In the 30 cal range, 300wsm, 300 win or 30-06 would probably be you best bet.

Not sure if you are looking for something with less recoil but you could go smaller diameter and do a long throated 257 weatherby to shoot the 130+ grain bullets from berger and blackjack. I think there are a few posts about this setup on here.

oh and since no one has mentioned it yet..... tikka t3x 6.5 creedmoor swfa scope.

Wildcats? I like the specs on this 338 from Sherman.

I did some quick math driving down the road today, Brass, Dies, Bolt head and barrel comes to about $1300 or a little over.

Phone in hand ready to dial some barrel turners to see who had the reamer. I put the phone down, wanting but I'm not needing.

elkguide

WKR
I am a .30 caliber fanboy/addict.

I really do like the WSM a lot along with the RUM but while I have a couple of each of those, I have 4 rifles in the Win Mag.

Mosby

WKR
I have a 300 WSM built by GA Precision on a Winchester action. It has been great on whitetail with 130 gr Barnes TSX. I set it up specifically for hunting whitetails in Canada and open ranges. I also have a 300 WM on a Remington action with a Hart barrel built by RW Hart. I built it specially for elk hunting but it worked great on big whitetails, as well.

Between the two calibers, I would choose the WM. Brass ie easier to find and normally cheaper. I shoot a 175 gr Barnes LRX in my WM. I have tried just about every brand of 180 and 200 grain bullets in my WM and the 175 gr Barnes LRX is the most accurate in my rifle by a good margin, everything else equal.

My 1000 yd hunting rifle was built by RW Hart in PA. It is a 300 Weatherby Improved on a Remington action. It prefers larger bullets and I would use 210 grain Accubonds for hunting. I built it on a whim and outside of occasional trips to the range when I go back east, I seldom use it. It is a 12 lb rifle and the older I get the less appealing it has become. I wouldn't build that rifle again and would really caution you not to make my mistake. Building rifles is fun and at the time, I had more money than brains but really evaluate how and how often you are going to use it.

Most of my primary hunting rifles are 30 caliber. Gives me some flexibility with bullets and I can use the same bullets in several of my hunting rifles. Handy during shortages. Because of the current environment, I would stick with a caliber that I likely could get brass and bullets for or already have and would avoid proprietary and wildcat calibers.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your 180 vld at 3050 is gonna beat any other 30 cal unless you can get a 225 up at that same speed. That really means something bigger than a 30 wsm.

Run the ballistics.

My 7mm shoots 180 at 3050 and is lethal out to 900 to 1100 depending on conditions.

WRO

WKR
I love my 300 norma, no mag length issues, less recoil than my rum, once my my barrel broke in, I'm getting 3150 out of a 225, and pretty easily available lapua brass..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is a 7mm 180 vld at 2995 fps and a .308 215 hybrid at 3000 fps.

If you build a 300 wsm, you gotta build on a long action to fit in mags. Take a look at the Sherman offerings, a 300 norma, or a 338 Lapua but stick with the 250s for velocity.

Screenshot_20210403-144348_Applied Ballistics.jpgScreenshot_20210403-144317_Applied Ballistics.jpg

I kicked around the idea of building a 300 wsm but ultimately I decided it wasn't going to get me the velocity I was looking for with H1000 and 220 Bergers so I went with a custom throated 30 Nos.

I know you're pretty covered with the 300 RUM but the Nos is impressive to say the least, mines an 8 twist 24" barrel and I'm getting great accuracy with 220s at 2975 using H1000.
The 245s are also stupid accurate at 2825 using the same powder, I only have about 30 rounds through it so far so it'll speed up even more.

If I didn't need the velocity then a 300 wsm would be my second choice, they're also super easy to tune, and will use about 10 grains less powder if that matters to you..

Lots of good options out there for a build but here's what I'd recommend.
Defiance anTi action
Spiral fluted #4 or #5 contour Rock Creek, Bartlein, or any other high quality barrel.
Carbon fiber vertical grip stock- McMillan game hunter, Allterra Arms, or Mesa Altitude to name a few.

Good luck and build what you want, don't let anyone sway your decision

madcalfe

WKR
I’d say .300wsm I just built one it’s my favourite do it all cartridge I’ve owned 3 now
DB8681CF-1455-448F-BDA8-F10890B0306B.jpeg
Will be doing load development for it next weekend. Running 178gr monos with a bc of .620 should be able to push them out at around 2925fps with a 20” tube. that will put me in the ballpark of 1995 fps and 1573ft-lbs at 750yards and still 1731fps and 1184ft-lbs at 1000 👍🏻

OP
Brad61537

Brad61537

FNG
I’d say .300wsm I just built one it’s my favourite do it all cartridge I’ve owned 3 now
View attachment 279860
Will be doing load development for it next weekend. Running 178gr monos with a bc of .620 should be able to push them out at around 2925fps with a 20” tube. that will put me in the ballpark of 1995 fps and 1573ft-lbs at 750yards and still 1731fps and 1184ft-lbs at 1000 👍🏻
Beautiful Build! Congrats!
Sorry for hijacking this thread or violating any forum rules. I'm also going to be building a 300 wsm & have read that putting it on a LA is the way to go. My question is what are the pros vs cons doing it on a LA vs SA? I reload so I want flexibility with OAL & stretching into the lands. One question I do have is going to a LA definitely give me more magazine length? Or is that accomplished with the bottom metal/set-up I go with? Thanks.

madcalfe

WKR
Beautiful Build! Congrats!
Sorry for hijacking this thread or violating any forum rules. I'm also going to be building a 300 wsm & have read that putting it on a LA is the way to go. My question is what are the pros vs cons doing it on a LA vs SA? I reload so I want flexibility with OAL & stretching into the lands. One question I do have is going to a LA definitely give me more magazine length? Or is that accomplished with the bottom metal/set-up I go with? Thanks.
I built mine on a short action. I wanted it light. another option would be to build it on a XM length.
but I honestly don't see a need to build it on a long action. if you run aics mags without the binder plate you can load to 2.940", then notch out your feed ramp on the S/A and throat your barrel for the length you want to load at. I'm pretty sure the 300wsm doesn't load as smoothly in a long action I could be wrong on that though. plus the long action will be heavier

OP
Brad61537

Brad61537

FNG
I'm gonna build on a defiance & was looking at the XM with there bdl bottom metal that allows me to go to 3.2 oal. I would assume that would be enough, however you know what they say bout those assumers lol. I've seen on other threads guys are pushing the bullet out to 3.1 max. Anyone know what the max amount you could stretch them, specifically the berger's? Thank you.

I'm gonna build on a defiance & was looking at the XM with there bdl bottom metal that allows me to go to 3.2 oal. I would assume that would be enough, however you know what they say bout those assumers lol. I've seen on other threads guys are pushing the bullet out to 3.1 max. Anyone know what the max amount you could stretch them, specifically the berger's? Thank you.
I'm running 195's at 3.2" in my 7 wsm
I can't imagine a 300 wsm getting any longer

Oldffemt

WKR
I have a 165gr AB load at 3.06 coal. Puts the boat tail junction just below the start of the case neck if that makes sense. Feeds fine in a tikka