Which rings would you choose?

jeffpg

WKR
I plan to mount a Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHS scope on a long range rifle in 28 Nosler that has a existing 20 MOA Picatinny scope mounting rail.

I want to stay as light and low profile as possible.

I was looking at the Talley 30mm Tactical alloy rings in low. This will certainly work, but I'd like to get some input and opinions to see if there's a better choice before I move forward.

What say ye gents?

Thanks,
Jeff

Those rings are nice, as are the Nightforce Ultralights. Xtreme Hardcore Recon rings are solid and works of art as well.

I'm doing a lightweight/semi long range deer & coyote build as we speak. There are some rings that are a bit lighter, but I don't want to compromise on my rings for the sake of a couple ounces. Xtreme Hardcore Gear Rangers will be on top of my next gun.

DEW0341

WKR
badger ordinance or seekins precision rings. I have both and they are awesome. the badgers a little heavy but built like a brick shit house. the seekings billet aluminum I believe and fit very nicely on my nightforce 20 moa.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
I did some looking on what you guys shared and I'm mostly impressed by the Force Recon Tactical Scope Rings with Integrated Level.

Thanks for sharing,
Jeff

kpk

WKR
Seekins is good stuff. I use their rails and 34mm rings.

Lots of good choices brought up. I'm giving ARC m10 lows a go on my lrhs and 20 moa rail, worth a look!

tdot

WKR
I found some rings at Alberta Tactical Supply, when I couldn't find any NF ultralite or Seekins lows in stock. They are fantastic. Same weight as the Ultra lite and plenty of guys using them on big cannons without problems. I bought two other sets since.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Everything that you guys are showing me is absolutely great, and I totally appreciate the information shared here, but I somehow cannot get past these XTreme Hardcore Gear Force Recon Tactical Scope Rings with Integrated Level.

I think the built in level is what really pushes me over on them, especially considering that this will be a dedicated long range hunting rifle that will be used in mountain situations where a level is very useful

If you can convince me there's a better option I will be grateful to you for lighting my path, but this is looking like the what I'll likely choose. Are there any negatives with these rings that I'm missing?

Take a look: http://xtremehardcoregear.com/forcerecon.html

DEW0341

WKR
just throwing it out there that the seekins I believe are about 119$? and a vortex bubble level is 30ish$'s? and the seekins rings have been used by shooters in the Precision Rifle Series for a few years now, they are tank tough, along with the Badger rings that are used on our M40a3's and SASS, they are bomb proof. honeslty have never heard of these xtremehardcore ring. illl stick with my Seekins, Badger and ARC options. and in my opinion which honestly doesn't matter but ill give it, is that the scope should be level to the bore, putting a level on the ring only ensures that your bottom ring is level to your rail. To make sure that bubble is accurate you now have to match it up with your bore and scope. So I would just make sure you either bed your scope base, or buy a high quality one, because what happens if you level your scope to your bore but your level on your bottom ring Is not level when torqued down to specs? Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I'd go NightForce or Seekins personally... If you're in need of a level NightForce has a ring cap with a built in level as well as one with the level and ACI mount...

micus

Lil-Rokslider
BURRIS XTR, knowing you can drop your rig repeatedly and not loose a zero (Barring scope issues) its all a peace of mind vs. ounces equation.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Everything that you guys are showing me is absolutely great, and I totally appreciate the information shared here, but I somehow cannot get past these XTreme Hardcore Gear Force Recon Tactical Scope Rings with Integrated Level.

I think the built in level is what really pushes me over on them, especially considering that this will be a dedicated long range hunting rifle that will be used in mountain situations where a level is very useful

If you can convince me there's a better option I will be grateful to you for lighting my path, but this is looking like the what I'll likely choose. Are there any negatives with these rings that I'm missing?

Take a look: http://xtremehardcoregear.com/forcerecon.html

Get the Force Recon rings from Xtreme, and don't look back. I've used a few sets of them, and they are simply awesome. The level housing is very stout, and they are extremely easy to setup. My second choice is the Nightforce with the top mounted level. I prefer the location of the Xtreme level on the side though.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Get the Force Recon rings from Xtreme, and don't look back. I've used a few sets of them, and they are simply awesome. The level housing is very stout, and they are extremely easy to setup. My second choice is the Nightforce with the top mounted level. I prefer the location of the Xtreme level on the side though.

Thanks Justin,

I had pretty much settled on the Force Recons as being my favored option, but after reading what was a very positive review of them where the guy mentioned that he had to lose his cheek weld and move his head quite a bit to see the level, I second guessed the decision. I had not expected to hear that, and I'm not so sure I'm completely buying it. It appears to me that it would be hard to not see that level where it's located. I'm very interested to know what your experience was with that, especially since you said you prefer the level's location on the side. That level location was my favorite thing about the Force until I read what I did about having to move your head too much in order to see the level. I know that could vary between individual sets ups as well as individual shooters, but please tell me your opinion on that sir.

It wasn't all bad that I kept looking, because I found yet another nice option, and I'm liking how they look a lot too... does anyone have any experience with these Hawking Precision Long Range Hybrids? http://www.hawkinsprecision.com/ultra-light-tactical-scoperings/long-range-hybrids

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That is one of the first things I tested when I set up the first set of the Force Recon rings. I can easily see the level with my left eye, while I'm looking through the scope with my right eye.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I take back my previous praise for burris XTR's, I just broke one in a pretty rinky dink way...

I like the seekins precision rings I have on my 26 nosler. Set up well, and are definitely well built. I'm sure there are lighter rings, but that is one thing I don't have to save ounces on.

deadwolf

WKR
Those rings are nice, as are the Nightforce Ultralights. Xtreme Hardcore Recon rings are solid and works of art as well.

Sam, what's your take on the NF Ultralights vs. the Vortex Precision (Seekins) matched rings? I have the Vortex on a couple rifles, but considering the NFs for the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk