Which route to go

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
So been looking at camera gear and while I would like to spend a few grand I think my wife would kill me. I’m a complete novice and don’t really have any intentions of making a living from this stuff (unless any of you are hiring an apprentice haha).

My priorities at this time lean more toward photos and less toward video but that could change down the road.

Looking at cameras and trying to stay in the 500 dollar range to start.

Trying to determine between a Sony rx100 vs a used lower end dslr/mirrorless. I know that with the dslr I would have more lense options but that opens another can of worms and also feel the point and shoot ability of the rx100 would lend well to a newbie.

Just looking to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
You might take a look at Canon SX60 HS. It has a giant 65x optical zoom lens and also takes 1080 HD video. It's larger and a bit heavier than the Sony RX100 but the RX100 only has a 8x optical lens. My SX60 takes great photos and video. The thing I really like about it is the ultra-zoom. I take a lot of photos and video while scouting and hunting. It's great for taking home and viewing on a computer or big screen TV. It's possible to field judge critters that are a long ways out! It actually takes a lot better quality photos than a digi-scope hooked up to my spotting scope. I also take a lot of bird photos with it...which takes an ultra-zoom to get up close and personal.

I wish Canon or some other company would come up with a super zoom that is waterproof. I'm super careful with my SX60 and often carry it in a small drybag. If you look around you ought to be able to pick up an SX60 for under $400. I haven't searched since I found mine but there may be other super-zooms available. You might do an internet search under "best ultra-zoom" (or what ever camera you are interested in) to see what's available. I also looked at internet reviews of the particular camera I was interested (on youtube and elsewhere).

This post is getting pretty long, but I like a variety of cameras/camcorders. I would highly recommend buying an almost new set up on Craigslist, Ebay, Etc.. I had a $3000 camcorder drop into the Kenai River when I was in Alaska...which was a real drag! Although I'm super careful with my cameras, it's super easy when in the field to screw them up! I have an SX60, GoPro, Panasonic DMC-TS3 (that is waterproof), and a Panasonic HDC-TM60 camcorder (has a 35X lens). My small TM-60 I picked up for $75 off Craigslist. It fits in a pocket and takes incredible HD video!

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
You might take a look at Canon SX60 HS. It has a giant 65x optical zoom lens and also takes 1080 HD video. It's larger and a bit heavier than the Sony RX100 but the RX100 only has a 8x optical lens. My SX60 takes great photos and video. The thing I really like about it is the ultra-zoom. I take a lot of photos and video while scouting and hunting. It's great for taking home and viewing on a computer or big screen TV. It's possible to field judge critters that are a long ways out! It actually takes a lot better quality photos than a digi-scope hooked up to my spotting scope. I also take a lot of bird photos with it...which takes an ultra-zoom to get up close and personal.

I wish Canon or some other company would come up with a super zoom that is waterproof. I'm super careful with my SX60 and often carry it in a small drybag. If you look around you ought to be able to pick up an SX60 for under $400. I haven't searched since I found mine but there may be other super-zooms available. You might do an internet search under "best ultra-zoom" (or what ever camera you are interested in) to see what's available. I also looked at internet reviews of the particular camera I was interested (on youtube and elsewhere).

This post is getting pretty long, but I like a variety of cameras/camcorders. I would highly recommend buying an almost new set up on Craigslist, Ebay, Etc.. I had a $3000 camcorder drop into the Kenai River when I was in Alaska...which was a real drag! Although I'm super careful with my cameras, it's super easy when in the field to screw them up! I have an SX60, GoPro, Panasonic DMC-TS3 (that is waterproof), and a Panasonic HDC-TM60 camcorder (has a 35X lens). My small TM-60 I picked up for $75 off Craigslist. It fits in a pocket and takes incredible HD video!

Thanks for the info. I’m definitely looking at used. I’m seeing multiple cameras for sale with extra batteries, charges, sd cards for a lot less than new. Just trying to figure out which route to go and open to suggestions since I’m starting from scratch and a lot of what I have as recommendations are 3000 dollar prosumer type setups.

If I were starting out I would look for a lens system and not worry about the camera body so much. The camera bodies are always upgradeable in the future if you decide to do that later. Keep in mind that both Nikon and Cannon just released their mirrorless cameras which use a different mounting system than all of their DSLR cameras (a stupid idea from both companies and a poor marketing decision) which means that their older lenses will be available as used lenses for cheap.

My personal preference is the Nikon bodies, I use a D7200 which can be bought for cheap on craigslist, Ebay, B&H or other online camera stores. The D7200 has a focus drive motor built into the body and allows you to use the older style auto focus lenses along with all of the newer auto focus lenses that have the in lenses focusing motors (the electronic lenses). The older lenses which require the in body focus motor can be bought on Ebay and in my opinion are better lenses because they are usually metal body lenses, made in Japan, and have better glass than the newer lenses.

As Angry mentioned, lots of good used cameras on the market. I have used a Canon 7D and it makes a great outdoor/sports camera and has a crop factor of 1.4 I believe which 'stretches" the lens focal distance. Also, the camera has easy to use video capability.

mtmiller

WKR
What do you want from your setup? If you are just looking at a camera to throw in your backpack and shoot some shots while in the field, the Sony is probably a good call. If you are looking to shoot wildlife, I would agree with the two posts above. Glass is an investment, bodies are temporary. I am shooting a 7200 that I have had for 3 years. Still works great and has been glued to my 500 since I got it.

I have a D7000 that rides along in my pack, but it is overkill for a hunting setup.

Good luck with the wife.

Hi
There are GREAT new options in your price range, both DSLR and Point and shoot
We always take care of the members here. I am here all day every day thru the 24th
Give a call to discuss the options and benefits of both directions

jspradley

WKR
Having owned a Sony A6000 and recently replaced it with a Fuji XT1 I highly recommend either of those giving the XT1 the edge due to a much better EVF, it being a legitimate professional body (that's now 3 generations old so you can pick them up for around $350!) with weather sealing and just being super fun to shoot with.

The two biggest things I would look for are the ability to shoot raw images and a manual mode. You will be 100000x happier shooting in manual with some basic knowledge than you will letting the camera do all the thinking

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
So in doing so reading and watching videos I am starting to narrow down my preferences and appreciate the suggestions to get me started down the rabbit hole.

As far as the RX-100 and point and shoots in general go I think I would like to have one eventually as a back up or way to ensure I have a “good” camera on me when a moment pops up. For now I think that job will go to the camera on my phone.

As far as the bridge camera or super zoom I do like the canon sx70 especially for the zoom but think I would want the option of interchangeable lenses to get a little more creative.

The two cameras I think I am leaning towards are canon T7i and a Sony A63000

The more I was thinking about it I really wanted to be able to do video just as much as photos and these too sound like they will fit the bill. I just think I will be on the look out for used packages with a couple lenses and excess prices. Going to end up spending a little more than I originally planned so it will have to wait until after the holidays but that will be fine.

For the longest time I thought the same thing that you did, the crop factor "stretched" the focal length of the lens. However, thats not what it does. The crop factor of a camera will not turn a 100mm lens into a 150mm lens. What it does do however is change the field of view of the lens. So think about it in this way and this was how it was explained to me. If you put a 50mm lens on a full frame camera the field of view at 100yds is 15 feet. If you put that same 50mm lens on a crop sensor camera the field of view changes from 15' @ 100yds to 10' at 100 yards. Where everyone, including myself had gotten confused was, the field of view change was explained to everyone with the phrase "its like turning a 50mm lens into a 60mm lens" because the crop sensor gives you the same field of view with a 50mm lens as you would have with a 65mm lens on a full frame camera. If that helps to explain anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad you have narrowed your search options down to two cameras. If I can make a suggestion I would talk to some people who have both cameras and ask about battery life. I have the Sony A5000 and the battery life is horrible compared to my Nikon's. I know that Sony has made improvements to their newer cameras but they have a reputation as battery hogs. With all of that said, the I love my Sony and wouldn't take anything for it unless its a newer version. To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for the huge investment I have in lenses I would have swapped to Sony a few years ago because their cameras can't be beat and they are adding newer and better lenses each year. Also, if you're going to shoot hand held video its really hard to beat their "in body stabilization" coupled with their "in lens stabilization" to create a stable and smooth video.

jspradley

WKR
Scratch the XT1 if you want to shoot video... it takes video but not that well. It’s definitely a stills camera. The A6000 or A6300 will be a much better option for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best DSLR in the price range you are looking at with the 2 models you mentioned would be the Olympus EM-10MK3. It has built in 5 axis Image Stabilization like the A6500, It has 4 K video, It is small and has a ton of lenses for the amateur and the Pro.
We have all 3 available. Give me a call and we can discuss the merits of each

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used canon t6i and it seems pretty decent shooting on full auto. It helps as sometimes as a beginner you don't have time to mess around until you get a good looking shot.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
one more thought: once you've settled on a camera body and a couple of lenses, stay off of the review forums and don't let GAS get in your way. Like the man with only one gun, get good with what you've got and you'll be way ahead of those with a bag full of bodies and lenses they aren't proficient with.

jspradley

WKR
one more thought: once you've settled on a camera body and a couple of lenses, stay off of the review forums and don't let GAS get in your way. Like the man with only one gun, get good with what you've got and you'll be way ahead of those with a bag full of bodies and lenses they aren't proficient with.

Best advice EVAR. lol

I bought a used canon t6i and it seems pretty decent shooting on full auto. It helps as sometimes as a beginner you don't have time to mess around until you get a good looking shot.

If I can make a suggestion, shoot using Aperture Priority. This lets you chose the focus plane while the camera figures everything else out for you. It really allows you to make some really great shots without having to know, ISO speed, and everything else.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
So I pulled the trigger on the T7i. Got a few extras to go with it including a 50mm lens , rode mic, peak design clip, extra battery and memory cards.

Went with canon over the Sony just due to the user interface being a little bit easier for me. I really wanted to like the Sony due to the size and 4K but really liked the articulating touch screen on the canon.

Going on a cruise to the Caribbean in the spring and looking forward to using it to make a lot of memories and get some practice in before hunting season.