Which Salewa for Idaho elk hunt?

wulfsige

FNG
First, I’ve been lurking for a while and have enjoyed utilizing this forum as a great knowledge resource- thank you to everyone who contributes and shares their experiences every day.

I’m going on my first western and first elk hunt in southeast Idaho this October and I’ve narrowed down my boot choices to the listed listed Salewa boots below. I’ve had the Salewa Alpine trainers for about a year and I love them. I tried Scarpa and loved the light weight and durability, they just don’t seem to fit the shape of my feet as well as the Salewa.

I’m hunting the Tex Creek area for those who know that area. I’ve googled and searched and read what I can on the subject, but the advice I’m looking for is somewhat specific and with the critical nature of the appropriate boots for the type of hunt I will be on, I feel it warrants a post.

All three boots are very comfortable, feature Gore-Tex liners, and are durable. Below are the differences in my view-

Salewa Mtn Trainer GTX

Pro-comfort, lowest weight, sole and upper flexibility, price

Con- less durable and less supportive than the other two boots, flexibility, not crampon compatible

General thoughts- I listed flexibility as a pro and con because I understand that depending on the situation a sacrifice in comfort is necessary when the terrain or pack weight calls for greater support and stiffness. I don’t see myself using crampons but feel free to educate me on this issue. Do I need them if snow is possible?

Salewa Repace GTX

Pro- likely as durable as the Raven, moderate support, moderate sole stiffness, two part insert, crampon compatible

Con- slightly heavier and slightly less comfortable in relation to Mtn Trainer due to stiffness of the sole

General thoughts-Middleweight and middle in price. This boot is a good compromise between the flexibility of the Mtn Trainer and the stiffness and support of the Raven. I’m leaning towards this boot as my choice for this reason.

Salewa Raven 3 GTX

Pro- durability, very supportive upper, two part insert, sole stiffness, synthetic materials, crampon compatible

Con- heaviest of the three, very stiff upper and sole, most expensive, lime green color is not my favorite

General thoughts- Certainly the most bomber of the three. Is it too much boot for Idaho elk hunting? I have no plans for a sheep hunt. I think it’s too stiff and heavy for my purposes, but again please educate me. Cost is not that important, nor is aesthetics. I’m including the Raven in case someone has thoughts about this boot that may cause me to reconsider it as a possibility.

I appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or advice. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
The stiffer sole of the raven boot will be better in snow, easier to dig in a solid hold on steep slopes, and the added height is a bonus when it comes to weather and ankle protection. They might have been talking about the Vulture as a sheep hunting boot, really stiff. Raven is a 3/4 shank, so it’s more fit for cruising alpine with camp on your back. The others will do fine as well just not as good for varying weather conditions. Youll have a chance of snow while youre there in oct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wulfsige

wulfsige

FNG
The stiffer sole of the raven boot will be better in snow, easier to dig in a solid hold on steep slopes, and the added height is a bonus when it comes to weather and ankle protection. They might have been talking about the Vulture as a sheep hunting boot, really stiff. Raven is a 3/4 shank, so it’s more fit for cruising alpine with camp on your back. The others will do fine as well just not as good for varying weather conditions. Youll have a chance of snow while youre there in oct.

Thanks Topo_trekker- that’s helpful advice.

OP
wulfsige

wulfsige

FNG
Not gonna lie, I couldn't even read your entire post. Might want to work on formatting in future posts.

Sorry, my post was more a stream of thought kind of thing. I’ll be honest as well- it’s been years since I even was even a member of a forum so hadn’t even thought about format. When I have a chance I will edit my post to bullet point style and I’ll try and be more concise. I appreciate the constructive criticism and appreciate your patience.

tater

WKR
I run the Rapaces and Gen 1 Ravens. Side-hilling with a loaded pack is fugly with the Rapaces. I am a huge fan of the Ravens, and use them for almost all of my hunting right through to end of November with crampons or snowshoes.

For my feet, the Rapaces are a light hiker and they just don't provide the lateral stiffness and stability that i need.

Reactions: REB
OP
wulfsige

wulfsige

FNG
I run the Rapaces and Gen 1 Ravens. Side-hilling with a loaded pack is fugly with the Rapaces. I am a huge fan of the Ravens, and use them for almost all of my hunting right through to end of November with crampons or snowshoes.

For my feet, the Rapaces are a light hiker and they just don't provide the lateral stiffness and stability that i need.
Good to know. I’m really not used to stiff or mountaineering style boots so the Repace is much stiffer than anything I have. All relative I guess. I’ve never had to pack an elk out of mountainous backcountry terrain, so I haven’t needed a stiff, supportive boot. When I comes to carrying light or normal loads on trails, I wear trail runners. I’m of the school of thought that believes modern humans over-rely on supportive footwear and the result is weak ankles. Obviously a backcountry elk hunt in the mountains is a different thing all together and strong ankles will only get you so far when you are packing out an elk. I’ve never twisted or rolled my ankle wearing trail runners with 100lbs on my back, and I don’t want to when I’m miles from civilization in the backcountry! Thanks tater for sharing your experience!

bates

WKR
I would take a look at the Crow's i really like them. I've tried most of the salewas. They fit my foot, big fan.

the crow's to me are in the middle between the raven and mtn. trainer.

No way would i run the mtn. trainers. i had them and immediately sent back not enough boot for me.

I ran the raven 2 for the past 2 years, great boot, i am sure the raven 3 is even better. yeah i did wear them on sheep hunt but alot on moose hunt and others where its mostly walking. i dont find them that stiff, i think more so, the overall boot construction is more beefed up and heavier duty. compared to other models.

Before that I wore my crows in wyoming on a mule deer hunt, great boot, comfortable. I wear them alot when i don't pack alot of weight, I like them for a dayhunting trips or light and fast type stuff.

If i was backpacking in i would want raven or vultur, if dayhunting i would probably take my crow's

OP
wulfsige

wulfsige

FNG
I would take a look at the Crow's i really like them. I've tried most of the salewas. They fit my foot, big fan.

the crow's to me are in the middle between the raven and mtn. trainer.

No way would i run the mtn. trainers. i had them and immediately sent back not enough boot for me.

I ran the raven 2 for the past 2 years, great boot, i am sure the raven 3 is even better. yeah i did wear them on sheep hunt but alot on moose hunt and others where its mostly walking. i dont find them that stiff, i think more so, the overall boot construction is more beefed up and heavier duty. compared to other models.

Before that I wore my crows in wyoming on a mule deer hunt, great boot, comfortable. I wear them alot when i don't pack alot of weight, I like them for a dayhunting trips or light and fast type stuff.

If i was backpacking in i would want raven or vultur, if dayhunting i would probably take my crow's

I had considered the Crow, but I had decided I was going to order three models, try them on, decide on one and return the other two. The crow seemed very similar to the Repace from the specs other than the upper material. Wasn’t until just looking at the specs again a minute ago did I notice how light weight they are. They are even lighter than the Mtn Trainer. I probably should have just ordered the Crow as well!

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the Rapace boot and took them on a nice 10 miler today. Had zero problems with the boot. Felt stiffer than what I’m used to (Lowa Tibet, Asolo Fugitive) but also lighter. I am definitely happy with the overall feel and build quality of Salewa. I’d love to try the Raven 3’s but think they may be overkill for my feet.

JohnB

WKR
I have had an older set of Mountain Trainers that have been great for upland hunting/cruising around off trail. I'm not in the hunt for a different pair due to their narrow fit.

Spoonman

WKR
So I have the mtn trainer gtx and the fit is amazing! They are hands down the most comfortable boot I’ve ever had. That being said I am on my second pair and both have not stayed waterproof more than 6 months old. I take care of my gear. Sent back and they replaced but the new pair just started leaking now. Need to look at other options. When talking to customer service they said all their hiking/ mountaineering boots use the same GORE-TEX booty?!?!

First, I’ve been lurking for a while and have enjoyed utilizing this forum as a great knowledge resource- thank you to everyone who contributes and shares their experiences every day.

I’m going on my first western and first elk hunt in southeast Idaho this October and I’ve narrowed down my boot choices to the listed listed Salewa boots below. I’ve had the Salewa Alpine trainers for about a year and I love them. I tried Scarpa and loved the light weight and durability, they just don’t seem to fit the shape of my feet as well as the Salewa.

I’m hunting the Tex Creek area for those who know that area. I’ve googled and searched and read what I can on the subject, but the advice I’m looking for is somewhat specific and with the critical nature of the appropriate boots for the type of hunt I will be on, I feel it warrants a post.

All three boots are very comfortable, feature Gore-Tex liners, and are durable. Below are the differences in my view-

Salewa Mtn Trainer GTX

Pro-comfort, lowest weight, sole and upper flexibility, price

Con- less durable and less supportive than the other two boots, flexibility, not crampon compatible

General thoughts- I listed flexibility as a pro and con because I understand that depending on the situation a sacrifice in comfort is necessary when the terrain or pack weight calls for greater support and stiffness. I don’t see myself using crampons but feel free to educate me on this issue. Do I need them if snow is possible?

Salewa Repace GTX

Pro- likely as durable as the Raven, moderate support, moderate sole stiffness, two part insert, crampon compatible

Con- slightly heavier and slightly less comfortable in relation to Mtn Trainer due to stiffness of the sole

General thoughts-Middleweight and middle in price. This boot is a good compromise between the flexibility of the Mtn Trainer and the stiffness and support of the Raven. I’m leaning towards this boot as my choice for this reason.

Salewa Raven 3 GTX

Pro- durability, very supportive upper, two part insert, sole stiffness, synthetic materials, crampon compatible

Con- heaviest of the three, very stiff upper and sole, most expensive, lime green color is not my favorite

General thoughts- Certainly the most bomber of the three. Is it too much boot for Idaho elk hunting? I have no plans for a sheep hunt. I think it’s too stiff and heavy for my purposes, but again please educate me. Cost is not that important, nor is aesthetics. I’m including the Raven in case someone has thoughts about this boot that may cause me to reconsider it as a possibility.

I appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or advice. Thank you in advance.
I only have experience with the repace gtx. I have to say that they are light compared to my crispi Nevada’s. I do feel that they could be taller and more waterproof. I’ve hunted a lot of the Tex creek area and being brushy, you are going to want gaiters regardless of boots you choose. Given the lower cost of the salewa line I feel like they are a great option. Great traction, very solid in rocks, mud and snow. My biggest complaint is the rubber knobs on the sole are starting to chunk off after about 50-60 miles. Good luck with your search on boots. I think you’d like either of your options. I’d go with something stiff for the steep terrain you’ll hunt if you push the timber in Tex creek. If you are going to hunt the open low country, go with the lighter, less stiff sole.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m currently doing a review on these definitely go with Repace. I’ve know the country your in well and have tried mtn trainer light and Repace in similar country. Repace did awesome.

MikeD2003

FNG
Haven't used the Rapace yet in the field but they have felt comfortable breaking them in. Fit true to size 12.5 in my Reebok and 12.5 feels great with these so far.