Which Scope on semi-custom Tikka 308?

I am finished up my son's rifle, now need a scope for it. It's a Tikka T3 lite LH stainless 308 win he got when he was 12, and has taken many animals. For His 18 birthday I switched out the stock to an AG composites, and the barrel with a 20" Proof Sendero with an APA break, and new bottom metal. I will put a 20 moa rail on it. Now we need a new scope!

The rifle will mainly be for hunting out to about 600 yds on medium and smaller animals. Target shooting for fun out past that.

Looking for a something in the $750* range plus or minus. I want it to be able to repeatable Dial the distance, and have at least 12x power,

What have you had good luck with?

*edit to 750

Last edited:
12x is a deal breaker for parameters.

Played with some scopes today at distances beyond ur threshold. Bushy lrhs 3-12 swfa 3-9 and the fixed 6

swfa 6x just gets it done irrespective of cost let alone the sub 500 dollar mark.

Snatch one up. If you hate it I’ll buy it for 20$ less then you paid for it.

OP
wildwilderness
My old eyes really need at least 12 x for punching paper! I know there are many 10x options that would be fine for hunting.

if it helps I bump the price to $750 range.

how would you compare say a vortex viper vs a zeiss conquest?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is the rifle for you or for your son?

Besides that, age of your eyes has nothing to do with magnification. It is a visual comfort thing, not a requirement. If you shot with a 4x scope at 600 yards enough, you would become comfortable with that and 6/9/10x would seem like a lot.

Vortex Vioers and Zeiss are poor choices. Ndbowhunter gave you the solid answers. Take his offer up.

Rob5589

WKR
You don't "need" 12x or more to shoot to 600, or even beyond. There is a NF shv 2-10 in the for sale section that fits your budget. If you really insist on 12+, you can find the Bushnell 3.5-21 for 800ish, depending on reticle.

I had a swfa 3-15 and it was pretty good. 23.5oz. Saw a ton of rounds, 300 win mag to a lot of cases of steel match 223 and cases of 22lr.. and dropped 40 plus animals spring of 2017 in nzed.

honestly the only reason I really tripped it was because the windage knob didn’t play nice with sako style ejector. Not a concern with a lefty.

that and the price I got for it was 2 6x so two bird stoned at once.

JonS

WKR
Call Doug at Cameraland, he's got some 4.5-18 or some 3-12 Bushnell LRTS' that will be hard to beat.
Illuminated black or non illuminated flat dark/green earth color.

I just put a swfa 3-15 on a tikka lite. I've very happy with it. I had the rifle out last night dry firing on deer right at last light behind my house. I think it picks up light as well as my leupolds that I'm moving away from. I haven't had a chance to compare it to the 3-9hd but that's probably what I will put on another rifle.

^^^ That might be the route I have to go. I'd rather just spend the extra and buy a new one (would prefer to find another 3-9 if we're hoping and dreaming) but if it gets closer to crunch time that might be what I have to do.

You can find a VX5HD 3-15x44 in that price range. The windplex or Impact 29 reticle choices are solid.

I put several hundred rounds through my 6.5cm, no repeatability issues (dialing regularly to 800 and back) and the Impact29 reticle held true out to 800 as well.

Block

WKR
6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper is only $699 retail and semi light at 21.6 oz,,, I saw it for $409 brand new on eBay, or cheaper if you have a friend that gets the field staff 45% off discount (seems like they give that to ALOT of people) Iv has this scope on my .270 Tikka for 3 seasons and love it

Call Doug at Cameraland, he's got some 4.5-18 or some 3-12 Bushnell LRTS' that will be hard to beat.
Illuminated black or non illuminated flat dark/green earth color.

There's your answer - Doug usually has some great deals on scopes and ideas of which will fit your particular need. Since the budget is now a bit higher I'd really be looking at a Nightforce SHV also or the SWFA SS line of scopes that are pretty much bullet proof and will dial reliably each time.