Which Scope on semi-custom Tikka 308?

JonC

FNG
I'm a glass snob, and I put a LRTS 4.5-18 on a nearly-identical 6.5PRC Tikka build. That's a lot of scope for the money. I like the G3 reticle, personally.

OP
wildwilderness
So if you had to choose between these two-

used Night Force SHV 3-10 x 42 for $705 or a

demo SWFA 3-15 x 42 for $479

Which do you choose?

Which do you choose?
I bought the nightforce. For me it was between the SHV and the zeiss v4. I have a zeiss scope already and I’ve never had a nightforce so that’s the direction I went. Time will tell how I like it..

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Which do you choose?

Because of this-

The rifle will mainly be for hunting out to about 600 yds on medium and smaller animals. Target shooting for fun out past that.

The SWFA 3-15x.

However, for your stated desires, the 3-9x SWFA is the better scope.

JonC

FNG
I believe the LRTS/LRHS series is on par with the NF NXS line and a little better than the NF SHV scopes.

JonC

FNG
In what way?

I've had 2 SHVs that didn't track properly, 1 LRHS and 2 LRTS do. The glass quality and turret feel compares much more closely to the NXS in my opinion. I don't know what the published numbers are but I feel like I get better low-light performance from the LRTS 4.5-18 than my NXS 3-15.

I'm a big Nightforce fan, I've got over a dozen of them from Beasts down to a couple SHVs, I was one of the first users of their F1 scopes way back when they developed them. I just think that the LRTS/LRHS line punches way above it's price tag.

Sfp is dead on arrival for my use.

nightforce isn’t sending me any scopes to test but if they did the only scope I’d be interested in is the nx8 1-8 or maybe the 4-16 atacr for a chunk.

U can have the rest.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've had 2 SHVs that didn't track properly

You got a relatively significant percentage of the total SHV’s that have failed. SHV’s aren’t NXS’s, but they have very few failures. I’m curious now. What rings?

I like the Bushnells. But I’m seeing about 1 in 20, to 1 in 30 that have problems. Usually it is obvious, I.e.- complete loss of zero, internal fogging, RTZ totally off, etc. Still generally good scopes though. However, knowing how NF tests even the SHV’s, odds are the Bushnell is going to have a greater chance to give problems.

JonC

FNG
You got a relatively significant percentage of the total SHV’s that have failed. SHV’s aren’t NXS’s, but they have very few failures. I’m curious now. What rings?

I like the Bushnells. But I’m seeing about 1 in 20, to 1 in 30 that have problems. Usually it is obvious, I.e.- complete loss of zero, internal fogging, RTZ totally off, etc. Still generally good scopes though. However, knowing how NF tests even the SHV’s, odds are the Bushnell is going to have a greater chance to give problems.

Nightforce Unimount on one, Spuhr Aesthetic on the other. Unimount on an AR varmint setup, Spuhr mount on a Tikka.

Both 4-14X50 F1 with MIL-R, I'm assuming from the same production run given the S/Ns are close and I bought them together.

If I had to blindly pick NF vs. Bushnell overall, I think NF makes a higher level of product. These are the only two SHVs I've ever owned or used, so I had planned on getting them warrantied and seeing what happens.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Nightforce Unimount on one, Spuhr Aesthetic on the other. Unimount on an AR varmint setup, Spuhr mount on a Tikka.

That’s unusual. If I read it correct, and you haven’t sent the in you should.