Which seek tipi?

VO2Max

FNG
In need of some advice… I’d like to get a seek outside 6 person tipi and stove. However, any advice as to which center pole is best, should I get factory seam sealing, which length chimney i’d need and which footprint I should think about? Thanks in advance.

- Erik

Skeeter

FNG
Seam sealing is fairly easy. I mix the silicon with odorless mineral spirits to thin it down, then apply with a half inch brush while the tipi is set up nice and taught. I mainly use their carbon center pole. I prefer the stove pipe to stick up at least 2 feet above the top of the tipi (some go more and some go a little less). If it’s too tall it might catch some wind.

OP
V

VO2Max

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. First time with the floorless shelter and when looking at website and ordering all of the options aren’t apparent as far as utility and what the heck is even needed!

Jason277

WKR
I have the 6 men. The carbon pole is the best. I also seam-sealed mine. Not hard just time-consuming. I have the med stove. It's awesome.

This is a 6-man, with a 9 ft pipe atop the SXL stove. Probably more than needed, but no burn holes in the tipi.

bYJeiTI.jpg

E6ylK

FNG
I mix the silicon with odorless mineral spirits to thin it down, then apply with a half inch brush while the tipi is set up nice and taught.
I've done the above on 2 tents and 5 different tarps now with roughly a 50/50 mix. It works great, but a word of caution is to make a test batch and ensure it cures (dries) fully. I read horror stories of people mixing their own and then it not curing, leaving a tacky mess on the tent / tarp. I decided to do a test batch my first time, and sure enough, it didn't cure after 3+ days. It was bad or old caulk in my case and now I never put it on anything without a successful test. I started out testing on scrap silnylon, but have since used scrap plastic (non-porous) from packaging as my test substrate. If successful, it should seem almost fully cured within a few hours and completely cured overnight, assuming warm temps (55-60F +). I'll typically pull the tent or tarp in a few hours and lay loosely in the garage for a day or two afterwards.

One other hint - use a plastic zip-tie (closed almost fully on itself) chucked in a drill to mix and stir the silicone and mineral spirits. This is a very quick and thorough method of mixing.

Marble

WKR
I have the 16 man. Pipe goes 3'+ above the tipi. Aluminum center pole. Seam dealing this tent would be cumbersome because of its size. I think the foot print is around 23'. Might be 21. We had 5 guys, a stove and all of our gear in the tent and we had room for 4 more atleast.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I have the carbon pole on a Redcliff and it snapped due to heavy wet snow + wind. It's really nice for how light it is, just be aware you may need to take some additional steps to take care of it. Mine snapped from a combo of crazy weather + operator error (didn't wake up throughout the night to clear accumulating snow)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The cinnamon ones are awesome. Seems like they are a bit picky about how they get set up with the nest for ventilation and condensation but they are easily the most comfortable tent I’ve slept in and sat out weather in.

Much nicer place to hang out than my hilleberg.