Which SG Frame?

Looking into SG frames a little for maybe a future purchase, and am between an X-curve or Krux Evo. I watched their "selecting a frame" video, and they say:

- Krux and R3 are for the minimalist, lots of day hunting, occasional trip into the back country, and packs 1-3 animals a year. Also recommended for people with straight backs.

- X-curve is for the multiple extended trips into the backcountry, lives in a backpack throughout hunting season, and packs 4-12+ animals in a season. Recommended for people with curvy backs.

Not sure what my back shape is, but by the rest of the criteria, I definitely fall into the Krux category. I see everyone rant and rave over the comfort of the X-curve, so that is what made me look into SG in the first place. With nowhere within 500 miles to try one on, can anyone give me any advice besides "buy them both, load them up and try them on, and send back the one I don't like". I will certainly try the other one if I don't love the first one, but just hoping to order one and have the best chance to loving it right away.

Kotaman

WKR
You pretty much "say it all" in your post. I prefer my XCurve over my Krux Evo by a large margin, but I consider myself to have a somewhat curved back. I'm a fan of the Kifaru frame with the composite stays as well and that seems to fit a "curved" back as well. If you've tried a Kifaru and it fit, the XFrame will be the one for you.

OP
cornfedkiller
If you've tried a Kifaru and it fit, the XFrame will be the one for you.

Thanks Kotaman. I've never tried a Kifaru either. So far my only experience with a hunting frame loaded with any sort of weight is a Kuiu Icon Pro, and I've only ever loaded it up to about 40#.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the X-curve because of my torso length. I'm 6'3 230, large belt. I had no reference because only had used day packs for white tail hunting the last 30 years. I have now made the x-curve my white tail pack. I pack my stand on the frame with a small bag. It is amazing and I really don't know how much better I can get it to feel so I'm confident this is the frame I'll run for many seasons to come. Still haven't packed out an animal yet but I am confident my set up won't be my limiting factor.

huntcoop

WKR
I've had both frames and the X-curve was the best fit for me. I felt that the Krux "slipped" a little and wouldn't stay on my hips. I called SG and spoke with Pete, he knew right away about my concerns and replaced my Krux with the X-cure and it was an incredible difference. He mentioned that the Krux improper fit was due to the curvature of my back/spine.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a flat back, the krux fits fine, I don't think it gives up comfort IF it fits you. I see no reason you wouldn't use it for back country trips that makes no sense, its completely capable of carrying weight comfortably so what is the concern in carrying around a 40-50lb pack for days? I do acknowledge its built a bit more minimal on materials and probably won't wear as well (that doesn't mean cheap though) so they're saying if you're a heavy user then maybe the xcurve is better.

I went krux to save weight and also liked the larger mounting area on the sides of the belts to put pockets. I bought it explicitly for backcountry hunts. I have some other frames to grab if beating the hell out of a frame on a hunt so keep that in mind.

X curve all the way if you have curve back which means you have a deep lumbar. Basically flat back means you have no butt so your back just runs into your butt. If you have somewhat of a butt then you have a curved back.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having owned both and tried a kuiu I’d say the evo is a lot closer to what you have. If you don’t have any curve in your back the xcurve won’t feel so nice after several hours. I have a slight curve and the kuiu matches up almost perfect. However the Sg lumbar pad is a nicer feel for me.

I use and like kuiu icon pro packs a lot. I’m curious and like to try things so I’ve owned two krux frames now and sold them both because neither would stay on my hips. Recently bought an Xcurve and so far it feels fantastic. I will say I have a lot of curve in my back not just lumbar but shoulder blades also. I remember a video from Kifaru that said to stand back against a wall and with butt and shoulder blades touching the wall if your hand fits in your lumbar a curved frame will fit you better.

sr80

WKR
OR order an x-curve and ask for a set of stays out of an evo, and you can try both basically without buying both. I had krux back in the day but the belt hurt, so i got rid of it after trying everything under the sun to make it work for me, And then when the xcurve came out i tried that, the belt was better but the frame hurt my back. So now ive got an xcurve frame with evo stays and a double stuffed lumbar pad. Works well for me. I like that you have the ability to somewhat customize your fit with SG packs.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the X-Curve frame with the sky archer 6200 bag. I hunt from day trips to 8 day trips I really like the fit of the X-curve more I am about 5'8" and weight about 155lbs I love the feel of the X-curve a little more tends to center the weight on me better than the evo frame. Really the best way to see which one you like more is go to a local dealer if not I have had many guys order both and I tell them throw in 60lbs on it and see which one is most comfortable and fits better and the feel then send the other one back if there is not a dealer close to you. We would be glad to help assist you with any info or setting it up for you as well over the phone.

Looking into SG frames a little for maybe a future purchase, and am between an X-curve or Krux Evo. I watched their "selecting a frame" video, and they say:

- Krux and R3 are for the minimalist, lots of day hunting, occasional trip into the back country, and packs 1-3 animals a year. Also recommended for people with straight backs.

- X-curve is for the multiple extended trips into the backcountry, lives in a backpack throughout hunting season, and packs 4-12+ animals in a season. Recommended for people with curvy backs.

Not sure what my back shape is, but by the rest of the criteria, I definitely fall into the Krux category. I see everyone rant and rave over the comfort of the X-curve, so that is what made me look into SG in the first place. With nowhere within 500 miles to try one on, can anyone give me any advice besides "buy them both, load them up and try them on, and send back the one I don't like". I will certainly try the other one if I don't love the first one, but just hoping to order one and have the best chance to loving it right away.