Votes: 26 19.3%
  • 325 WSM

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 338 Win Mag

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
Guys I'm wondering which gun to have built for a Dall Sheep Hunt in the Yukon territories.
I know any of the possibilities will work with sheep..
however I'm sweating bullets over a grizz encounter and want something to reliably put down a bear if needed.

Thanks in advance . I'm not overly sensitive to recoil..and will have a brake on for practice sessions

Slugz

WKR
Understand your point.
I personally would pack spray and a sidearm with hardcast bullets and have a rifle in the 270 to 280 range built.

I didnt vote but I would think you have lots of options from the 300 WM to the 338 WM range.

I killed my first and second sheep, and my first grizzly bear with my 300 SAUM, hence my vote. These days I tote around a 300 WSM.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Understand your point.
I personally would pack spray and a sidearm with hardcast bullets and have a rifle in the 270 to 280 range built.

I didnt vote but I would think you have lots of options from the 300 WM to the 338 WM range.
Unfortunately a sidearm and cast bullets wont be an option in Canada.

IMHO pretty hard to beat a 300wm for an all around NA rifle.

Go with whatever floats your boat that you will shoot well. I’d take a 6.5 of your choosing myself. Though I did take a 300 WM on my sheep and grizzly bear hunt.

All are capable of killing a grizzly. Bullet construction has a bigger role in stopping a grizzly than does diameter. That and being able to get a CNS shot off under a few seconds with no warning. This last part is the hard part.

If it makes you feel better, have a mag loaded with something like Barnes or Federal Bear Claws and keep it in your rifle. Easy enough to swap to your hunting rounds when it comes time to shoot a sheep. And if a sheep pops up close enough, shoot it with your “bear” ammo.

Bear spray mentioned above is a great suggestion.

Have seen several folks bring a gun for “just in case” situations. The problem is they’re so afraid of the gun that they can’t hit a stationary piece of paper (8.5x11) at 100 yards. But they still believe that they’ll be Cool Hand Luke if a bear pops up 5 yards away and it is about to maul them.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a 308 or 270 / 270 WSM. Neither on the list. The 308 is light and cheap ammo which these days is a consideration. I also like the option of a 200 grain bullet in the 308 if you want the energy for bear. The 270 WSM is nice as a magnum option for longer range. Todays advanced scopes sort of negate the advantage though.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
What would be your main use for the rifle after the sheep hunt? That would be a larger factor to me in choosing a caliber than bear protection.

A charging grizzly isn't going to know the difference between the 7 saum or 30 saum. The explosion in their face is probably as much of a deterrent as the bullet it's self.

If you regularly hunt grizzly country then maybe up your caliber but don't go out of your way for one hunt.

Snyd

WKR
Well, all of em will poke a hole in a bear. Have you shot any of these calibers? a 338 or 300winmag packs quite a wallop. Might not be a issue but some guys can't shoot the big magnums accuratly. Your ability to shoot accuratly and have that self confidence in the gun trumps caliber. I didn't vote but have shot all my rams with a 325wsm also griz and moose. 200gr 1950fps. Mine is a Kimber and with the light pencil barrel has/had quite a bit of muzzle flip and torque/twist. I had it Mag-na-ported, not muzzle braked. And it tamed the flip and twist. I shoot it better now.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Snyd.
Yeap I have shot the equivalent to most of those. My main squeeze is an unbroken 300 RUM that i can literally cloverleaf the rounds at 200...I can only do that for about 7 shots a session but can do it. Only problem with her is she's a big girl at 11 lbs.
I would take her but she shoots so well I don't want to change anything trying to get weight down. I have considered a lighter mcmillan vs the B&C that's on it. If I could get to 9lbs.....

I have considered the confidence factor as this is the first one out of the safe. Harvested 5 whitetail, 2 antelope and a coyote with it.

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Had a grizzly make his way toward camp on my last solo sheep hunt. Used my .308 (180grain) Nosler Partition and put him right down. Haven’t had the fortune to connect with a sheep yet. I will be taking the .308 again this year without any hesitation.
I’m curious about this story. You had a bear “make his way toward camp” and you DLP’d him. Go on...

Or did you have a bear tag?