Votes: 48 35.6%
  • 6.5x284 Norma

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • 325 WSM

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 338 Win Mag

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
Assume you’re not a resident and will be with a guide? I wouldn’t worry about griz protection personally and would take a 6.5 or a 7.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
I would want a .300 caliber for bear or moose, in the event I am on a combo hunt. If sheep was my only concern, and I was with a guide, I would have no hesitation taking a 0.264 or 0.277 diameter bullet.

Bambistew

WKR
3 of those are basically a 270 winchester. I wouldn't worry much about griz. Being baranoid is a thing, but doubtful you'll even see one much less need to defend yourself on a guided hunt. You odds of crashing in on the way in and out are higher. Invest in a helmet...

I'd pick one of the short actions and build it light, or use a rifle you already have and save the money.

drmatara

FNG
I voted 300 Win. Killed my first sheep and grizzly bear with a 300 win. It's does everything well and you can hardly go wrong with it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Snyd.
Yeap I have shot the equivalent to most of those. My main squeeze is an unbroken 300 RUM that i can literally cloverleaf the rounds at 200...I can only do that for about 7 shots a session but can do it. Only problem with her is she's a big girl at 11 lbs.
I would take her but she shoots so well I don't want to change anything trying to get weight down. I have considered a lighter mcmillan vs the B&C that's on it. If I could get to 9lbs.....

I have considered the confidence factor as this is the first one out of the safe. Harvested 5 whitetail, 2 antelope and a coyote with it.
If you got it down to 9lbs do you think you'd still shoot it unbraked? I tried that with a McWhorter 300 RUM once... once lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
If you got it down to 9lbs do you think you'd still shoot it unbraked? I tried that with a McWhorter 300 RUM once... once lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ha I don't know. I've thought about changing stocks. Should loose 1/2 lb going to McMillan from Bell&Carlson.

But may be a worthy endeavor

tdot

WKR
If you have a guide, you should be #2 shooter when it comes to bear protection. I definitely wouldn't let that drive your decision making.

Leave your existing rifls as is. Build a 7 SAUM (or a 300wsm, but that wasn't on your list) at 7-8lbs all in, and you'll have a decently light all round rifle. I'd set it up with a reliable low powered scope, short barrel and ensure it's balanced extremely well. Set it up for a high BC bullet and carry an extra set of bear specific rounds.

I built a 6.5SS/338SS switch barrel, at 8lbs, for my one gun plan, its almost perfect. But I think I'll add either a 7mm or 308 short mag built at 7 pounds to do exactly what your talking about.

AK Yeti

FNG
Guys I'm wondering which gun to have built for a Dall Sheep Hunt in the Yukon territories.
I know any of the possibilities will work with sheep..
however I'm sweating bullets over a grizz encounter and want something to reliably put down a bear if needed.

Thanks in advance . I'm not overly sensitive to recoil..and will have a brake on for practice sessions
I have tried several but always go back to the Tikka 30-06

Nimrod62

FNG
Well, all of em will poke a hole in a bear. Have you shot any of these calibers? a 338 or 300winmag packs quite a wallop. Might not be a issue but some guys can't shoot the big magnums accuratly. Your ability to shoot accuratly and have that self confidence in the gun trumps caliber. I didn't vote but have shot all my rams with a 325wsm also griz and moose. 200gr 1950fps. Mine is a Kimber and with the light pencil barrel has/had quite a bit of muzzle flip and torque/twist. I had it Mag-na-ported, not muzzle braked. And it tamed the flip and twist. I shoot it better now.
Snyd: Did you notice any degradation in accuracy after the Mag-na-portging? I've read mixed reviews. I had a .338 Win Mag that I also had Mag-na-ported without accuracy issues. I liked that it didn't add length to the barrel and made the light rifle manageable. Thanks.

Snyd

WKR
Snyd: Did you notice any degradation in accuracy after the Mag-na-portging? I've read mixed reviews. I had a .338 Win Mag that I also had Mag-na-ported without accuracy issues. I liked that it didn't add length to the barrel and made the light rifle manageable. Thanks.
Nope, no accuracy issues at all. In fact, since it tamed the muzzle flip/whip I can shoot it better. This gun is a tack driver...

325-200ab.jpg

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Wound up going 300 saum . Remington 700 titanium. She is a tack driver.
Recoil is non-issue. Cloverleaf first 3 shots (HSM ammo with Bergers)

250 yards hit steel all day. Even my gf who rarely shoots can hit at distance with jt

jhm2023

WKR
Of the ones listed, my choice without a doubt would be a 7 saum in a 5.5lb or lighter bolt gun, assuming brass can be had of course. I'd also be loading it with 143gr Hammer Hunters or 145gr Barnes LRX pushed as fast as I can without pressure signs. I can assure you that grizz that far north succumb quite easily to a fast 7mm monolithic. Then again I'm kind of partial to 7mm's.

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot believe no one has said a 6.5 Creedmoor yet...
Funny you would say that… I’m going on a DIY Dall hunt in Northern BC in less than a month. I’m on the fence between my Kimber Adirondack in 6,5 creedmoor and my Kimber Montana in 280 ai. No question the Adirondack is nicer to carry and easier to shoot in awkward field positions. It killed a Billy no problem last year. Plus I figure .284 or .264 doesn’t matter either way on a grizzly if I don’t hit the CNS. Sorry to derail the thread.