Which Shotgun for all things, upland, waterfowl, and clay pigeon?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Benelli or Beretta. The SBE3 or the Super vinci or the A400. I got rid of my super vinci because I didn't like the front safety. I currently use the SBE3 and my brother shoots a super vinci and the middle brother shoots a SBE3 left hand and my dad shoots a A400 left hand. Not any of these guns have ever let us down. We shoot combined 10 cases a year at ducks in Texas. Who knows how many at quail, dove and clays.

Unless you plan on shooting expensive heavi shot or the like get a 3.5" chamber and shoot 3.5 fasteel.

Last edited:
I do a pheasant trip once a year for 15 years. Long weekend in western Kansas. A dozen to two dozen guys. LOTS of birds and LOTS and LOTS of shooting. Over the years I have seen all kinds of shotguns in action on that trip and all the issues related to them. Double barrels are the most reliable hands down. A decent 870 is great if you do your part. For an all around gun I think a good reliable semi is the best option for me. From that trip and others, I have done the “gun swap” and tested many different brands and models over the years.

Best of the bunch IMO has been the Italian guns. Benelli and beretta.

I have shot a benelli m2 Field for 12 years. Only issue I have ever had is the recoil pad fell off. Duct taped it on to get through the trip and benelli sent a new one. It probably gets 500-100 rounds a year between pheasant, duck, turkey, rabbit, squirrel and clays. I can only remember a handful of times that “ole Ben” hasn’t fired. I spray him with rem oil and clean him every leap year. He just goes boom.

I thought about an SBE upgrade once or twice but I don’t really like shooting 3 inch shells unless I have to. Nothing wrong with them, I just don’t do enough duck / goose etc hunting where I feel like 2 3/4 doesn’t get it done.

USMC-40

WKR
I have long arms - the beretta (and new brownings) have the LOP shims that allow me to get the gun to 15 1/2”. Can’t do that with a Benelli, although I used to shoot benellis - both SBE and M2’s. I think the new SBE3 fixed the ‘benelli click’ but I have seen that happen too much to trust an older version

work765

WKR
Seems like every time I take my M2 out, it jams once right in the beginning, but after that it shoots like butter! Smooth as silk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
For LOP example I do not have a very thick chest but have long arms (36 length shirt sleeves and long in everything). 15-15.25 works best for me. I could probably go longer but it can be hard to mount in the field with a vest on. You will absolutely kill more birds, especially upland hunting, if you shoot a shotgun that fits you. For duck hunting, I find that since I typically have more time to set up the shot I can get away with a shorter length of pull.

264win

WKR
Benelli has been the gold standard for hard use auto loaders for several decades. IMHO Some of the beretta models are also solid choices.
I have well over 50,000 rounds through my 15yo SBE2.
Killed Deer, Bear, coyotes, Turkey, Geese, Ducks, pheasant, grouse, rabbits, quail, crows, quail, countless clays
Lots of hunts well below 0, used it as a canoe paddle, support to keep me from falling (Further) through ice.
For this kind of use (abuse) I really don’t think there is another brand that will be as reliable.
Being able to easily strip it down in a blind or boat, etc is very valuable as well.

C Bow

WKR
I am 63 years old I have owned many shotguns in my life but I have never owned one better than a Benelli M1 It is the toughest shotgun I have ever seen I am sure the M2 would be just as good This is my opinion and I shoot alot

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure of the conditions you would be waterfowl hunting in, but if you plan to hunt from a boat or in a muddy marsh regularly, I would only consider a synthetic stock. I'm just not a fan of beating up a wooden stock but that is just me. Personally I shoot a Benelli SBE II for hunting and highly recommend but they are spendy

Michael54

WKR
I have a separate shotgun for everything I could justify owning a shotgun for. I almost always grab my mossberg silver reserve ll over under 20 gauge for when i need to use a shotgun though.

Grumman

WKR
I shoot an M2 that has been great but I can’t stop thinking about a camouflaged over/under for a do all gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'm another Benelli fan. I personally own 5 shotguns and end up using the Super Vinci for about everything. My Brothers use a Super Black Eagle 2. I like the feel of the Super Vinci better personally but you can't go wrong either way and the new SBE 3 is a really refined workhorse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I get by with a 20 ga Red Label, for everything......

IMG_5972_zpsbmvnapeo.jpg

IMG_3767_zpsf9a4bfd3.jpg

IMG_1918_zps9a09692f.jpg

IMG_1977_zpsc805ed1e.jpg

IMG_2842_zpsc512f4f3.jpg

IMG_2685_zps2f3909c3.jpg

IMG_0392_zpsugbm2nau.jpg

IMG_9564_zpsrzequ2jc.jpg

IMG_2163_zpstvpqjwrn.jpg

IMG_4222_zpsb38d32de.jpg
I own a 20 ga. 11-87 and it's great for me as I don't do a lot of shooting, but I did shoot my coworker's red label a couple times and fell in love with it. It wasnt for sale though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
I own a 20 ga. 11-87 and it's great for me as I don't do a lot of shooting, but I did shoot my coworker's red label a couple times and fell in love with it. It wasnt for sale though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yea when i finally decided to buy a red label it was 5 months after they stopped making them. Then they doubled in price used to where they are more used than they were new smh. Needless to say I dont own a red label 😭

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
One of my all time favorite shotgun makers was "ITHACA". I've never owned one but I have shot them before and they are truly one of my favorites. Another shotgun I liked was the Ruger "over & under" model. It was about as well balanced as any shotgun I ever got the privilege of using.
I have a good friend of mine who just swears by Browning. And they do have some nice looking shotguns in their line up. I always admired their "over & under" shotguns too.

EJMK

FNG
I’m another fan of the Benelli. I shoot SBE3 now. Have used the Super Sport for trap and sporting clays in the past. I won a Browning Silver Hunter years ago, it’s a gas operated semi auto. Such a pain to take down and clean, they get so dirty. I love the Benelli inertia system, easy to clean and I’ve not had any issues cycling loads from target to 3-1/2” magnums.

403AL

FNG
Beretta gets my vote. Freezing temps, wet no matter the load always goes bang.