Which Shotgun for all things, upland, waterfowl, and clay pigeon?

Man, I think you'll see from the numerous recommendations here that it's a wildly personal choice on which gun everyone prefers.

I realize this is not all that helpful in choosing one gun vs the others, but the advice I'd give you is to go handle each of the top tier semi-auto guns from Benelli, Beretta, Remington, Browning and Franchi (I personally don't think pumps are a great choice for a waterfowl gun if you're going to hunt ducks in a whole bunch of different ways - i.e. a pump would be hell for me in a layout boat or blind). Shoulder each of the guns and see which one seems to point naturally true for you without having to adjust your typical shooting form (obviously starting with good form to begin with). Take them down and figure out how easy each is going to be to clean and maintain. If possible, find a buddy or friendly neighbor and shoot some clays with your top options. After doing that, I think you'll quickly find which gun fits you best.

Following all of that, if you're torn between two different guns, then I think you can start considering issues like weight and cycling system (gas vs. inertia). Among the top guns of the top mfgs, these items aren't likely to make a big difference at the end of the day. There are trade offs to each of these items that are going to come down to personal choice - i.e. lighter weight means easier to carry in the field (good for upland) vs. slightly higher felt recoil; gas guns slightly heavier system with a few more pieces that can break vs. inertia driven guns, but the inertia gun will have more felt recoil due to lighter weight and the recoil system. Just keep in mind, I've seen malfunctions of some sort on every mfgs guns over the years. They're shotguns after all - they need routine maintenance and things often go wrong in the world of shotgunning. Choose the gun that fits you best from a reputable brand and just prepare yourself to have to do some maintenance and make some repairs over the years.

I personally prefer my Remington VersaMax I've had for the last 9 years (it's a gas system). It's been my sole shotgun for all of that time, shooting everything from clays, to upland, to waterfowl. Aside from some routine maintenance (upgraded recoil spring, new firing pin and firing pin spring), I've not had any issues with my gun, and I hunt pretty hard (if I had to guess, I'm pretty well over 10k rounds through it at this point, shooting literally every different shot and shell size). As always, take my experience with a grain of salt. There are many people that hate on Remington for various quality and reliability issues. I might be one of the lucky ones. I prefer gas to inertia for the lower recoil and reliability for cycling lighter loads, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy and shoot an inertia gun.

One final point, I like the option to cycle 3 1/2" mags through my gun, but I rarely shoot them - there's just not that much added benefit for the added cost IMO over a 3" shell. If the gun that fits you winds up being a 3", don't sweat it too much.

Cory

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
As it has been said you have to throw a couple up to your shoulder and see how they feel. But, with that said I'll throw my option out here as well. : )

I think the Remington V3 is a dark horse, especially for the $$. Remington doesn't get a lot of love, but they put a lot of work into the V3 (lifetime warranty) and I really like mine. Smooth shooting and no problems. I scored a screaming deal on a demo model, but if I was buying new I'd save up for the V3 Waterfowl Pro. It does limit you to a 3" shell, which might be an issue if big honkers are on your agenda.

Haven't yet picked up a waterfowl gun I thought inadequate. I shoot a SBE2 for everything, works great, feels kinda cheap, I venture to say substantially over priced. But she's a simple lady, and I like that. I've got a trick Fabarm, It looks cool, I never shoot it. I've got a 870, took me a lot of years to abandon this girl. Does the same thing as the SBE2. I've got a lot of shells through A400, Typical Beretta quality, same ownership as Benelli. Better build. Most of the guys I hunt with shoot the Winchester, and I think it was/is one of the best values going. My gun shop dude talks down on them, but I've never seen one fail.. or cleaned with anything but a hose. Solid gun, great compact feel. They are all shot guns, It'd be the rarest of instance to miss an opportunity of a lifetime because of a particular shotgun.

desertcj

WKR
While it's not in the "Buy once, cry once" price range...I shoot a CZ 712. I've only been using it since dove season, but it has functioned 100% for me with everything from 1oz dove loads to 3" waterfowl shells. Only a 3" chamber though if that matters to you? It didn't matter to me as I don't shoot 3.5" shells. I don't mind using it and getting it dirty though like I would a $1500-$2000 gun.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting a Beretta Extrema 2 since they came out. Only issue I've ever had was 3.5's wouldn't eject after I'd shot a few cases of 2 3/4" through it. Cleaned the chamber and was back to 100%. Overall it has been way more reliable than my buddies benelli m2 when hunting in snow/rain and sub zero temps.

Mike7

WKR
I bird hunt with a group of guys every year...chukar hunting in sometimes really cold weather and poor footing/shooting positions. The lightest benelli's have not been dependable. The Berretta A400's and more recently Remington V3 (waterfowl pro edition I think it is) seem dependable, have light recoil, are easy to operate with gloves, and more importantly you can adjust the drop/cast on them. The V3 is cheaper in cost of course. Browning is good if it fits you.

Wassid82

WKR
I am in the market for a new shotgun. I want to buy once, cry once shotgun and would like to be able to take it pheasant hunting, waterfowl hunting and shoot clay pigeons with it. Does anyone have an suggestions? Any reviews on the Berreta a400 vs Benelli M2? Thanks guys for your help.
I have several shotguns. My all time favorite is the a400. I dont think I will ever switch. it is so smooth and easy to swing. It shoots every shell on the market and should cycle thousands of rounds flawlessly. If I ever did switch the only gun I think I would potentially try is the Super Vinci

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
Surprised there aren’t more over under recommendations here. I’m going through the same process as the OP an I’m pretty sure I’ve talked myself into a Beretta Onyx if I can find one on the used market.

Squamch

WKR
Whatever fits. You can buy a $10,000 Krieghoff, and if it doesn't fit right, break more birds with an 870 express that fits.

Adjustable stocks will help, of course, but you need to fondle a lot of different guns before you buy one. Personally, I don't like autoloaders, I can't get used to the action working without me doing anything. I'm partial to an 870 or an over/under, browning or beretta. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and your selection should, again, be based on what feels best to shoulder.

I like my Browning A5 for everything but it's just what feels right to me. Went to the store and shouldered 6 or 7 brands. The A5 just felt good and lined up well. No complaints with it. People seem to love those SBEs too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Terrapin

WKR
I have shot just about every shotgun mentioned. Here are my choices:

Benelli Montefeltro if I was more upland oriented.

Benelli SBE if I was more waterfowl and was interested in goose hunting.

Beretta A300 or A400 if I was more clays oriented (semi).

Browning Citori if I wanted a do everything O/U.

Lately I’ve been doing most of my hunting from turkey to ducks to upland with a $69 Rossi single shot youth model 410. Love that gun.

If I had to pick the best compromise, it would be the wood stocked Montefeltro. Looks good enough to not stick out shooting sporting clays, absolutely a dream to carry for upland, and will hold its own shooting ducks. It’s light and recoil is stout, but it cycles anything and come in under $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend looking at the extremes of what you'll be doing and making a decision for that, which from your list seems to be waterfowl. To me, waterfowl sometimes means ducks in brackish swamps, where all synthetic and a durable finish (camo or cerakote) are practically necessities. It also means late winter Canada geese, where I like 3.5" shells. When I shoot 3.5" shells, I also like to have a gas operated gun to help tame the recoil. Therefore, my short list of shotguns looks like this:

Beretta A350
Beretta A400
Browning Maxus
Browning Silver
Remington Versamax
Winchester SX3/SX4

The only over/under that can reasonably claim to be a waterfowl gun is the Cynergy Wicked Wing edition, which is a very slick looking gun. Just be aware that when you pull the trigger on a 3.5" shell in a fixed breech gun you had best be hanging on tight, and be prepared to get smacked. The recoil on a 3.5" is no joke.

I ran a 20 ga Red Label for 10 years before I bought my Maxus, and while I love that shotgun, I would NEVER consider taking it out for ducks/geese. Between the water, mud, and my dog I know the gun would get trashed in a hurry. I had a black finished Benelli Super Nova as my waterfowl gun for 7 years, it moved on to another home because it rusted so fast. I would have visible rust on the barrel within an hour of starting a duck hunt just from the ambient humidity in the swamp.

Having had both apart side by side, the A400 internals are made out of metal and appear more durable than some of the plastic internals of the Maxus, but to this point (~500 shells) my Maxus hasn't shown any signs of wear.

I’ve been shooting an sx3 for clays the last few years and love it. It’s been 100% reliable with very little cleaning and shoots as soft as can be with 1-1/8 trap loads. Can’t speak to how they handle foul weather though as I don’t duck hunt.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Fit both your frame and your budget. I have progressed through the shotguns from 870’s to benelli nova to beretta a300 and now browning a5. All of them worked well and had their shortcomings a300 became a single shot or two shot so it hit the road. I love the a5 because of the humpback design that I grew up shooting my grandfathers Remington version of it. The fabarm intrigued me but had no way to try one out but still would like to get my hands on one. Shotguns are personal and each person has their likes so buy more than one.

I like my 870 xcs 12 ga.
Pump will always work and the xcs will take 3.5s. XCS also has spots for shells in the butt. I like that for storing some 7 shot for cripples when duck hunting.
The barrel is coated so rust isn't an issue.
It's camo so you look like you know what you're doing.
Only down fall it's a little heavy, but that tames recoil.
If you're worry about not being able to shoot as fast as a semi, dont worry about it. With practice you'll be just as fast.

SwampBone

FNG
If you can find an older Winchester 1400 semi they’re super reliable. I have a 20 and my dad has a 12 never a jam or problem. I also have a Benelli SBE that I’ve owned for close to 20 years and I couldn’t tell you how many follow up shots Ive missed because of a fail to eject or fail to load. Maybe got a lemon. I’ve changed springs and everything that I can think of. I’ve run it wet, dry. I could load it up and shoot all day until I need a second shot on a pheasant then you can count on an F up

Just one shotgun: Benelli SBE II. Add a rifled slug barrel with scope and then you got a deer and elk slaying machine.

Vandy321

WKR
Like most stuff, you need to shoulder it to know for sure. I have an A400, and a few SP1s, I just like beretta's fit...I often shot my buddies SBE in the blind to compare, nice gun, but just doesnt feel "right" to me. But since you asked about the A400...you wont regret it.

My A400 xtreme has NEVER failed to cycle, from target loads to 3.5" goose loads, not a single failure..multiple cases of each. It makes 12ga 3.5" loads recoil like target loads in a 20ga...or dang close to it. Super easy to strip and clean, it's been at the bottom of a lousiana Marsh...took it apart, dried it out, oiled it up, and was out hunting again the next day. Cant say enough good things about it. I bought it when they were first came out, but I'd bet now a used gun would be less than $800?