Which Spotting Scope

tdhanses

WKR
There was a straight cabelas euro in classified at a good deal. 20-70 eyepiece. I believe. Only nevative is eyepiece is fixed but same scope. They are also on clearance on cabelas website for 1800 and if you wait for 10% coupon ....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Only Cabelas blows for warranty these days.

OP
A
What did you end up getting? I’m in the same situation. Tough decision.
Man still on the hunt. I’ve been trying to look through as many as I can. And honestly waiting for a sweet deal to come along.

Shindo

FNG
Hold out for the deal if you're not in a hurry. I looked through a ton of alpha and mid grade spotters in person and for me it came down to Kowa TSN-773, TSN-553, and Swarovski 65mm ATS. I went Swaro because it was about 9oz lighter than the 773, but still had FOV and magnification over the 553. That weight matters a ton to me since I backpack hunt above 10,000ft. If you can handle the weight the Kowa TSN-773 is a real beauty.

I'm in the same boat. I've never used a spotting scope but wanted to get something to try out. I saw Cabelas had their new "Intensity HD Spotting Scope" but it's $349 and reading on here makes me think that it is probably not worth buying... I am a low budget hunter though.

+1 for being patient to afford as great a spotter as you'd ever want, even if that means going on the larger side. I just spent 5 days backpacking 9 lbs worth of spotter/tripod/head and it was completely worth it. I was able to confidently distinguish a fork antler on a moose from 2.5 miles away before it escaped over hill. Without that knowledge, we would have let him go and probably would have come out empty handed and chalked it up to bad luck.

There is no way to compensate for lack of vision-reach. That kind of information affects our most important hunting decisions.

Last edited:

snakelk

WKR
Another happy Meopta S2 82 owner here. If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for a decent deal on an S2.

Reactions: pc3

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the meopta, vortex, Kowa and get the heck off Rokslide or you will end up with a swaro that is minimally better. I have a swaro atx. It’s wonderful, but I’m an idiot for paying 3,000 for it lol, luckily right now I can afford it. People that say A LOT better, or by far do not comprehend the terms a lot and by far. When your in the higher end tier they are all clear enough to get the job done in most situations. Lots of online studies prove this and how many “pro” hunters use vortex...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold out for the deal if you're not in a hurry. I looked through a ton of alpha and mid grade spotters in person and for me it came down to Kowa TSN-773, TSN-553, and Swarovski 65mm ATS. I went Swaro because it was about 9oz lighter than the 773, but still had FOV and magnification over the 553. That weight matters a ton to me since I backpack hunt above 10,000ft. If you can handle the weight the Kowa TSN-773 is a real beauty.

I had the same debate as you and ended up with both the Kowa 77 and 55 rather than the ATS 65 haha. Maybe I should have gone your route, but the 55 is great when hunting game on the same mountain that your currently on. The 77 with the 1.6x extender is phenomenal for long distance spotting. Just goes to show to the OP that you’ll never get an absolutely clear view on what to do by asking others.. just general info that you need to take in and then make a decision on what suits you best.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I see that there is a spotting scope offering coming from Tract. Anyone have thoughts on that?