Which State Should I Start Applying For

Which State Should I Begin Applying For?

• Arizona

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Idaho

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Oregon

• Montana

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • New Mexico

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Washington

• Other (Please Share in Comments)

• Nevada

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Rodéo

WKR
I'm a relative newcomer to hunting, especially big game. I've been hunting/fishing seriously for three years now, all in California. I've been building preference points here for all big game species but haven't drawn any non-OTC tags in CA.

I'm looking to start applying for a state to hunt outside of CA that provides me with the best opportunity to draw (both short and long term), is relatively affordable comparing to other states application processes, and provides opportunities for Mule Deer and Elk. I've taken a look at Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington but I'm getting bogged down in minute regs at this point. I am partial to states that aren't a 10+ hour drive for me (Oregon, Arizona, Nevada would be preferred; but if Washington, Montana, Idaho, Colorado,NM are markedly better to apply for in my position than I'll certainly consider it).

I'll be attending law school for the next three years so If I apply to states outside of CA, the hunts I would be applying for for the next 3 years would work out best between Dec 20-Jan3, does Arizona have a big game season open during these dates that I could put in for?

I don't really want to start putting in for more than one state outside of CA at this point so keep your answer to 1 please.

Thanks for reading/voting/commenting,

Rod

fire652

WKR
Arizona has a deer season during that time but out is a draw. I live in Ohio but moving to Montana but I always put in for Arizona every species but bear and bison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re time to hunt will be limited for the next 3 years you could just start building points in the states you’d like to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
You could hunt Arizona'a archery OTC deer in Dec and if you kill one you could buy another tag in January and go hunting again! If you do this you might as well buy points while in school and start applying for Elk/deer once you get out

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like Arizona. You have to buy your hunting license for $160, and then I think its $15 per species for bonus points, and then you might as well hunt the OTC hunts to learn the country. You can gain an extra bonus point for doing your hunters safety there and another extra bonus point for putting in 5 years in a row (according to Newberg). So with 5 points, you'll have 7, and you could be hunting some of the best elk and deer units.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Appreciate the info. Arizona is looking like the leading contender right now. Especially since I can chase coues deer out there as well. Have to look into Colorado a bit more but it would be a further drive by about 50%.
I really like the idea of Arizona's OTC archery tags being an option for the years I won't draw a tag (which will probably be the vast majority of years). Does Colorado have anything similar in terms of OTC?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
From California I'd be applying for deer in North Central Nevada
Just realized I forgot to include this option in the poll but I talked about it in the original post. Nevada is certainly a top contender. Looking for pros/cons of Nevada vs Arizona for non-res

Worst thing you can do is build points. Before you know it you’ll be in a no mans land where you have too many points to “throw away” and second choice tags will be scarce and you’ll be point banking instead of hunting. If you can’t hunt for 3 years build pint s in wyo for a general elk tag but otherwise keep your dough and don’t let anyone convince you to pay extra for a chance to stand in line for that tag

wapitibob

WKR
If you’ll hunt deer in AZ, build points for elk. You can hunt does in Wyoming every year while building points for elk and antelope.
A 10 hour drive out here is nothing, my instate drive is 7. You might want to bump that up to 20.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Appreciate all the info. I'll take it all into account. Got a lot to read up on and consider, like how far I'm willing to travel ^ @wapitibob.

oldgoat

WKR
Worst thing you can do is build points. Before you know it you’ll be in a no mans land where you have too many points to “throw away” and second choice tags will be scarce and you’ll be point banking instead of hunting. If you can’t hunt for 3 years build pint s in wyo for a general elk tag but otherwise keep your dough and don’t let anyone convince you to pay extra for a chance to stand in line for that tag
I spend them as fast as I can for low point units!

You and me both

Nothing tells the tale of points more clearly than how guys refer to using them. Almost everyone says they are “burning” there points when they put in for a 1st choice they know they’ll get. They don’t call it “cashing them in” or some other phrase that would indicate something good. It’s like they’re just doing what they have to with the hand they’ve been dealt. Even when it’s a hunt they are excited about. Paying extra to wait in line for years messes up your perspective

muddydogs

WKR
If your serious about hunting and plan to hunt for years to come you need to stop peeing like a pup and start running with the big dogs. Purchase points in as many states as you can afford, Wyoming and Utah are relatively cheaper then AZ if cost is a concern. If your going to play the game in AZ you should be purchasing points for about everything every year so in 5 years you score the loyalty point and you need to take the AZ hunter ed class to get the extra hunter ed point.

Take it from a 50 year old that stopped big game hunting for a few years and is now behind the point curve and playing catch up plus feeling his age and is now trying to play the game in multiple states to have a few more hunting opportunity while I can still walk. Start young, play multiple states and hopefully one day draw some nice tags.

I'd build points if I that was what I was looking at. 3-5 points is kind of the sweet spot for getting a decent hunt with less pressure than most OTC options but gets you out of the game before entering no mans land where each consecutive point is meaningless till you've 20-30.

muddydogs

WKR
I'd build points if I that was what I was looking at. 3-5 points is kind of the sweet spot for getting a decent hunt with less pressure than most OTC options but gets you out of the game before entering no mans land where each consecutive point is meaningless till you've 20-30.

Here in Utah there seems to be levels to the point game. 3 to 5 will get you in a unit a little better then OTC, 10 ish will get you into a so so unit and the best units are over 20 points. Someone has to draw half the tags that are offered in the random draw so one never knows when they will get luck like I did this year and drew a tag in a unit that takes over 18 points to be top point holder in 2018.