Which Stone Glacier accessories are a must?

Michigander1479

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a Sky Tallus 7900 from another member for a moose hunt that is planned for this fall. I have never hunted out of a backpack as I live in the Midwest and have never had a use for one. My question is what accessories are a must to attach to the pack (inside or out). They don’t have to be SG components. Any opinions based on experience are appreciated. Thanks

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Must for organization: Quick release sling, water bladder pocket, and since it’s a big bag 2 camp pockets. The swing outs are also nice to help with organization.

optional: Sky series lid if it didn’t come with one depending on your trip gear needs. I also use an access bag when going on a 5 day plus but I’ve got a 5100.

The load cell is legit for either gear or meat or both. Might seem like overkill but I enjoy being able to keep my gear separate from meat, bloody or not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Rifle sling, I have the 7900 too and it’s awesome. I like to use the belt ouches as well but they aren’t really “mandatory”.

Rodéo

WKR
I've dealt with SG packs for a few seasons now and all you really "need" are some sort of pull out pouches (either the camp pockets from SG or another brand) for organization and maybe the sky lid but with the 7900 that might not be necessary. I also love Pods8 nalgene belt holster and that's the best accessory purchase I've made for my SG. The one SG sells doesn't even compare imo. I've found that I don't like the stock SG rifle holster and will be listing it for sale soon. I prefer to strap my bow or rifle to the outside of my 5900.

Re the above comments: I think belt pouches are ok - a little small but good for the quick access stuff like calls, cell phone (barely fits), lighters, etc.). Load cell is necessary for packing meat imo - I don't like getting the inside of my bag too bloody.

I have one swing out, the rifle sling set up and a small pouch on the belt for a camera so it's always handy... that's all I have ever needed.

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Load cell and the quick release rifle sling are money. The rest just depends on what you’re doing with it. Lid comes in pretty handy but I only run one maybe %25 of the time.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Quick release sling, one hip belt pocket, two swing out pockets. I use the swing out pockets for my kill kit and emergency type items.

I’ve used a Sky Archer for a couple seasons now. The load cell bag is awesome. I have a belt pouch (seam sealed) with my rangefinder and extra ammo in it. I also have a small internal pocket that is handy.

I’ve been keeping my water bladder between the bag and frame when I’m hiking. It’s quick to access there. I may break down and buy a pocket for it this year but my current system is working so long as everything is cinched down.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on the SG kick for quite a few years now. For me, especially when it comes to moose, the lid is non-negotiable. Big enough to put a bladder in, rain gear, and a blade or two and some game bags. The lid goes everywhere with the frame for me. The kifaru universal stays on the frame always. I find that system a better fit than the SG version.

Backpacking, the lid, a Kifaru GB, and two large hip belt pockets. Bladder sleeve inside for a 3 litre bladder, and I could be 100% on all I need at that point.

I do have a couple of the swing out pockets, and I use one as a toiletries kit bag when I'm traveling as well.

Have the nalgene pocket and the spotting scope and the other accessory bag as well, but those only made one trip and that was it. No idea even where they are now in the house. That said, I have my gear and system pretty dialed in at this point and that stuff is just extraneous noise for how I like my stuff set up.

huntcoop

WKR
I have the Hydro lid, no more trying to fish in/out the bladder to fill. Had the old and new versions of the SG hipbelt pouches but sold them as they were impossible to use one handed. Bought some EXO hipbelt pouches, they are great and one handed opening and closing.

jmez

WKR
All depends on personal preference. Only must have for me is a belt pouch. I don't have any other accessories.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Belt pouch(s) is it for me. SGs are about as good as it gets along with exo. SO and Kifaru are lagging by quite a bit with the belt pouches.

The rifle sling is good if that fits your intentions for the hunt.

Rest of the stuff is just personal preference on how you want to organize stuff. I see most of the organization stuff they sell as unnecessary added weight but it might be worth it to some.

Last edited:
I typically use as few accessories as possible otherwise I feel I'm starting to negate the SG weight savings. A hip belt pocket, bear spray holster (just the one that comes with the bear spray can) tend to work fine for me.

As for gun carry, if I'm not using my lid, I try to "hook" the gun sling on the top of the frame to take the weight off the shoulders. Just my preference and I like the ability to switch it from side to side and hold it. If I really don't need my rifle on long slogs I strap it to the side of the pack using the compression straps.