Which stove?

moeleo

WKR
I have a Kifaru Sawtooth I’m looking to setup for next year completely. I’ve never used a stove in just the shelter with the liner. So excuse me if it sounds like a dumb question but I’m a fan of overkill anyway to a point but is a medium box stove just too much for it? I see a lot of people running the 18” smith cylinder stoves and just want to make sure I have enough stove for the shelter on cold nights or that extra needed to dry out gear. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it is too much. I use a medium box stove in a 6 man Kifaru tipi and can turn it into a sauna by loading the stove up or regulate the temperature by using less wood/opening the doors, etc. I prefer the box stoves over the cylinders even though a bit heavier because of the assembly and having a flat top for warming/cooking.

OP
moeleo

moeleo

WKR
I don't think it is too much. I use a medium box stove in a 6 man Kifaru tipi and can turn it into a sauna by loading the stove up or regulate the temperature by using less wood/opening the doors, etc. I prefer the box stoves over the cylinders even though a bit heavier because of the assembly and having a flat top for warming/cooking.

Thanks!!

reaper

WKR
I have a Kifaru Sawtooth I’m looking to setup for next year completely. I’ve never used a stove in just the shelter with the liner. So excuse me if it sounds like a dumb question but I’m a fan of overkill anyway to a point but is a medium box stove just too much for it? I see a lot of people running the 18” smith cylinder stoves and just want to make sure I have enough stove for the shelter on cold nights or that extra needed to dry out gear. Thanks.

Well bigger stove mean bigger pieces of wood.
I have a sawtooth and i use a seekoutside SXL stove and its about the perfect size.A kifaru medium box stove is a good size but not airtight and doesn't have a real damper,you need some control.Cylinder stoves are a PITA for assembly after some usage.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
moeleo

moeleo

WKR
Well bigger stove mean bigger pieces of wood.
I have a sawtooth and i use a seekoutside SXL stove and its about the perfect size.A kifaru medium box stove is a good size but not airtight and doesn't have a real damper,you need some control.Cylinder stoves are a PITA for assembly after some usage.

Ok. Did you have to specify how long of a stove pipe?

reaper

WKR
Sxl stove
de1550ae300d42e70b29a2232d13eaab.jpg

The 18" Lite Outdoors Cylinder stove was plenty big enough for the Sawtooth. I sold my cylinder and now run the Seek Outside SXL, and greatly prefer it. Both stoves will keep you nice and toasty and be able to dry gear in the Sawtooth.

I run a Seak medium box stove in my sawtooth. Yes, it can run you out if you load it up and get it glowing red have way up the pipe. I will say it will dry everything out pretty fast. I typically vent the top 10 inches of the door to let a little heat out.