Which Swaro Spotter & Tripod?

treillw

WKR
Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Swarovski spotting scope. Haven't researched it much and don't know a ton about spotting scopes in general. This was my first year hunting using one and I was surprised at how helpful they are. I definitely spotted animals that I couldn't see with my binoculars.

It seems like people will argue about angled or straight eyepieces all day and it's mostly personal preference. I kinda like the idea of the straight for glassing out the truck window and having it be easier to line up on things.

Probably what I'm wondering about the most is which objective diameter to get. 65 mm would be ideal for backpack hunting and the 95 mm would be ideal for the truck & shooting range. Where would I use it more?? I feel like the 80mm might be a compromise that I won't be happy with on either end.

I'm not much of a trophy hunter. Lately, if it has bone on it's head and it's elk tan, I'll try to take it out. My rifle scope goes up to 24 power, so I can use that backpack hunting in rifle season to help ID things at longer ranges. The binoculars occasionally leave something to be desired in archery season though. Where I hunted for most of this year, I don't think a spotter would have helped me much - it's wide open parks and dense timber that you can't see into much at all. There isn't much to dissect with high powered optics, at least in my experience. I'm sure there are areas where the added magnification is a huge help though. The trophy hunter thing will change if/when I draw a good tag....

The only time I have used a spotting scope was for this year's shoulder season, glassing from the vehicle to locate elk. The big 95 mm objective would surely work great from the truck window. How would the 65mm fare? How much would it give up?

Shoulder season is the only time I hunt from the truck initially. The rest of the season, I'm miles back in before sunrise. Kinda makes me think the 65 mm would be a better fit for me, but I don't know how much I'm going to want to carry it and/or need it in the backcountry.

What tripod would you suggest for backpack hunting?

Any suggestions on a vehicle window mount?

Thanks for any help!

I got the ATX/BTX with the 95mm this year. I used the BTX 99% of the time. Way better then a single eye piece. I packed all 3 pieces on a backpack hunt this year. I don't mind the weight penalty for good glass.

Beendare

WKR
Sounds like you know how you will be using it.

My take; Big glass is an advantage for hunting...........not just trophy hunting. It gives you a leg up on the competition by seeing stuff others miss. My buddy spots good bulls with BTX's in units where other guys never see an elk.

I'm no slouch when it comes to glassing...but I felt like one next to him on those BTX's. He was spotting bulls 7 miles away on the gps. Blew me away. And looking through those bigger diameter scopes....is almost surreal...its hard to explain but when you look through one- its pretty darn impressive.

Does everyone need BTX's...ugh no. But if you are an optic centered person...and possibly going to upgrade in the future...at least get the Swaro 85 that will accept the BTX's in the future. BTX on a 65mm is a waste.

Now a case could be made for the 65mm single eyepiece...if you are a backpack centered hunter. lighter, good performance.

I like angled....makes for a shorter more stable tripod setup.

Lots of good tripods, I have a Sirui- its rock solid.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Does everyone need BTX's...ugh no. But if you are an optic centered person...and possibly going to upgrade in the future...at least get the Swaro 85 that will accept the BTX's in the future. BTX on a 65mm is a waste.

Good God that would be expensive haha - 95 mm and BTX. $5400. Is it just me or does it seem like if you buy the pieces separately, say just a 95 mm objective, it is almost as much as buying an entire scope.

Where is the best place to buy one at? Do they have demos ever for decent prices?

Good God that would be expensive haha - 95 mm and BTX. $5400. Is it just me or does it seem like if you buy the pieces separately, say just a 95 mm objective, it is almost as much as buying an entire scope.

Where is the best place to buy one at? Do they have demos ever for decent prices?
Yep they aren't cheap. But I am kicking myself for not buying it sooner. I spotted 80-90% of the deer I saw on a Colorado hunt with it.

I used active junky and waited for a 10% off coupon for Cabelas. So I got 10% off the regular price and a rebate frome active junky. You could call around to a few dealers and see how low they will go on one. I'm sure most will deal a little. Not sure you can get more off then the route I used though.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, those BTX are pricey. Like I said, if you aren't an optics centered hunter....they don't make sense.

Personally, the 15X Binos is a better option for me....even over my good spotter. My style is more of a "Is it a decent buck"....then lets go kill him. I'm not counting rings...or evaluating whether that buck is 160 or 180. The 15's just fit with my hunting style better.

if you are a sheep guy....yeah, you gotta have that spotter to evaluate animals without spending 6 hours to get closer. My buddy is a guide down in AZ. He makes his living spotting game for clients....so yeah, makes sense for him. Plus he knows that country like the back of his hand...so when he spots a fantastic buck or bull from 5- 7 miles away....he knows how to get to him.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you, please give me or Neil a call, 516-217-1000
Have as great day

chasewild

WKR
I'm generally a backpack hunter and I have the Swaro ATM 65mm. It is discontinued, but I watched this forum like a hawk and found a guy willing to sell it for a great price.

If you keep your eyes out, Swaros come up often. And it can save you a boat load of cash buying used.

The tripod -- I'm less of an expert on this but I know that quite a few guys swear by the slik 634. I don't need the rigidity of a tripod for standing up and so the vortex summit has done fine....but I'm not saying it compares to the sliks.

Angled works well for steep country. Straight gave me kinks and I became a pro at yoga to get behind the eye piece.