Which tent for backcountry 2013?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
its on promotive.com you need to be eligible for a membership but if you cant get on there then altrec.com has then and you can search a 10% promo code. that's the second best price i found.

Was on Promotive today and they had it listed for $90 from what I saw. Maybe you are part of a better "team" than me :)

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I fully understand it might not be up to standards for the guys in the mountains for weeks on end?

And why wouldn't it be? Not sure if you are talking about the size or the durability?

Lets not underestimate it until someone gets one and runs it through the paces. I am thinking of getting one to find out as well. I don't mind that it is a bit heavier than others as long as it is well made and as I mentioned above the Mountainsmith products I have used in the past have been good, quality products. IMO it is in the price range that we "should" be paying for simple shelters of this design.

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i was wanting to get into the megatarp but haven't bit the bullet yet and then i seen this shelter on this thread. i haven't heard about it before either. hopefully it's quality. i only wonder because of the price. all the nice high end shelters everyone talks about are megabucks compared to this. we'll see. mine is a couple days out right now. i'll post my initial impressions and hopefully some pics

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And why wouldn't it be? Not sure if you are talking about the size or the durability?

Lets not underestimate it until someone gets one and runs it through the paces. I am thinking of getting one to find out as well. I don't mind that it is a bit heavier than others as long as it is well made and as I mentioned above the Mountainsmith products I have used in the past have been good, quality products. IMO it is in the price range that we "should" be paying for simple shelters of this design.

I Didn't underestimate it at all. That is why I said "MIGHT NOT BE" up to some standards. Some only believe in HIGH END equipment. I myself am going to get one asap for the fact it looks nice and is so affordable.

by reading their description its looking like that 2lbs is all up with stakes and guy lines, maybe change out the stakes and shave a few oz and really a decnt weight

For those of you guys looking hard at the mountainsmith, also take a look at the Bear Paw Wilderness Designs La Garita. Its right in the same price range and you can get different colors. The only difference is the la Garita doesn't go to 40" in the rear, it only sits at 26. But you can pitch it different ways. Just another option for you guys not wanting to spend money on the high end shelters. The La Garita is also lighter than the Mountainsmith by a decent amount if you're worried about the weight factor as well.

For those of you guys looking hard at the mountainsmith, also take a look at the Bear Paw Wilderness Designs La Garita. Its right in the same price range and you can get different colors. The only difference is the la Garita doesn't go to 40" in the rear, it only sits at 26. But you can pitch it different ways. Just another option for you guys not wanting to spend money on the high end shelters. The La Garita is also lighter than the Mountainsmith by a decent amount if you're worried about the weight factor as well.

i was planning to pick one of those up until this popped up, retail though, i think id go with the bearpaw

bounds

WKR
Patrick owned/started Mountain Smith, so that's where the photo came from.

I knew he started it. I thought it was funny that Amazon somehow dug up that old picture of him with that earlier model. Are the Mountainsmith offices next door to Kifaru? I looked it up a while back and thought I remembered them being on the same street. Does Patrick have any influence on them anymore?