Which tent for backcountry 2013?

Here's a shot of the Flycreek 2 in a pretty good blow. We had approx. 50-60mph sustained with gusts up to 75 or so. As you can see most of the back of the tent is flat to the ground. Althought it was somewhat irritating trying to sleep under these conditions, it was no more than just irritating. It rained (driving rain) all night long, but nothing got into the tent and once the wind died down, the tent popped right back up. The only damage the tent sustained was one of the guy lines tore off of the tent fly. I don't own a Hilliberg, but I have a buddy that does and I know that it would have done much better under the conditions that we had.

Attachments

• 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 136
Justin -- Do you use a bivy wiht yours? I am concerned about a down bag getting wet if it rains due to water coming under tarp.... Maybe I am over thinking it???

Crumy- no I don't use a bivy. I use a western mountaineering down bag majority of the time when not using a Kifaru slick bag. In the 8 years I've been using a Kifaru supertarp I have never had an issue. Occasional condensation but nothing to worry about. I have camped in some crazy down pours and never had water enter. Pitch location is key thou.

I've only used a bivy a couple of times but not in conjunction with a supertarp.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks AK.

Some great discussion and ideas so far. Really leaning towards SO our Kifaru right now. Need to do some more comparisons and thinking on it. Keep the input coming!

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree with the bivy/tarp thing. Something about staying in a bivy and tarp is different than sitting in a cramped little tent, its refreshing. With my bivy im not really saving that much weight over a small UL tent, but im gaining a lot of space, the ability to be covered up with my boots on and cooking, and honestly I trust the bivy and tarp setup in a little heavier weather than my UL tents.

Ill be using a Paratarp again this year with an ID bivy. The bivy keeps all the bugs and whatever scares you when you sleep away. If im not sleeping, I don't care what bugs are crawling around

When I go west the tarp will always be coming with me, atleast if it isn't too late in the year. I still keep a tent with a full bathtub floor and netting for camping around here in WI where the skeeters will eat me alive in a tarp.

That LBO thing looks pretty sweet if your camping with a buddy, with that piece for the middle and a stove it looks like it would be a nice shelter for 2, you each have your own side and the ability to use a stove. And its good for 1 person. Although iv already decided for 2 people im getting a tipi cause its bombproof and will take wind from all directions without problems.

sk1

WKR
Thanks AK.

Some great discussion and ideas so far. Really leaning towards SO our Kifaru right now. Need to do some more comparisons and thinking on it. Keep the input coming!

les, what changed if you're leaning towards kifaru on your floor requirement? did you find a nest or bivy your thinking of pairing with it?

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to the backhunting and I have been following this thread trying to decide what to buy, tarps, tepee or tent. What I am reading is alot of guys here would still use a tarp/ bivy vs. a tent. would you still consider the tarp / bivy vs. a tent even with bad weather- snow/heavy rain/ severe wind as common in sheep country?

I am new to the backhunting and I have been following this thread trying to decide what to buy, tarps, tepee or tent. What I am reading is alot of guys here would still use a tarp/ bivy vs. a tent. would you still consider the tarp / bivy vs. a tent even with bad weather- snow/heavy rain/ severe wind as common in sheep country?

I prefer a tarp to a tent especially in bad weather. I have just started using a bug net bivy under the tarp due to some of the areas I will be going will have a lot of mosquitoes.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
Ok Backpack Hunter...what would the pros and cons be to tarp be vs a tent, I have not used a tarp before, just crappy tents. Thanks for your input!

MattB

WKR
I have one comment to add here: having worked as a volunteer for a conservation non-profit for a number of years, the folks at Hilleberg have been incredibly supportive of our organization. If folks are looking for a full tent and are on the fence as to which tent to buy, the fact that Hilleberg bends over backwards to help us achieve our goal of putting more sheep on the mountain might be worth considering.

Ok Backpack Hunter...what would the pros and cons be to tarp be vs a tent, I have not used a tarp before, just crappy tents. Thanks for your input!

It's not that I think tents are crappy, I have some and use them as well. During bad weather I can walk into my floorless tarp and not worrying about getting the floor all wet or snowy. I can add a stove during cold bad weather to keep me warm and dry out my gear. All of my floorless tarps are lighter and or tougher than my 3 season tents, and I have a variety of different ways to pitch my tarps as well.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry that is not what ment, I really do have a crappy tent ( walmart brand I think) I am very interested in a tarp, but how do you keep your sleeping bag and everything else dry in really bad weather?

Beastmode

WKR
Sorry that is not what ment, I really do have a crappy tent ( walmart brand I think) I am very interested in a tarp, but how do you keep your sleeping bag and everything else dry in really bad weather?

In bad weather you can put some tyvek down below your pad and sleeping bag. If your shelter is setup before tge ground is wet the water will only seep about 2-3 inches in from the edge of the tarp.

You can burn bug coils at the edge of the tarp to keep bugs out. One thing to remember in an area with a lot of bugs is wherever you set your tarp up is going to trap whatever bugs are right there in your tarp. Give the ground quite a few walk throughs with kicks to make some of those bugs move out.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I have always used a tarp for winter, fall and summer backpacking. I looked into my buddy's tent and wonder why anyone would want a floor. All the floor seems to do is get wet and muddy. I will add that I hunt in a really wet environment.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I see the needs for both tents and tarps. I own both and use each depending on location. A 4 season tent has its place IMO in winter time when having a stove can't be done either due to lack of wood/trees to burn.

really like floorless shelters myself, but a nest is a must here in Alaska due to the bugs in the summer. I really want to like the megatarp, but the SL-5 is a sweet tent and I prefer it over the Megatarp I have due to floor layout for my wife and I with a inner nest. I also like the ability the bit more head room to hang wet things on a "clothes line" without it hanging down in my face. The main thing besides the better suited floor layout for my needs is the fact that the SL-5 is fully enclosed. Meaning you always face your tent with the back end into the wind right? But if the wind changes 180 degrees at any point then there can be a tendency for it to "parachute". Where as the SL-5 is closed from all sides and all sides look the same so it doesn't matter much which direction the wind comes from. You can fully enclose the megatarp or paratarp with an annex, but by then you are up to the weight of an SL-5.

Don't get me wrong the K-tarps are likely MUCH stronger in the wind than the GoLite tipis, but I am usually decently carefully of where I select to setup my shelter regardless of locale. Just depends on your needs I guess.

Unlike others, for really consistently bad weather I prefer a real 4 season tent over a tarp/tipi. Ideally a tipi to hang out in and a small 4 season backpacking tent to sleep in. Lots of options to consider and it really comes down to what you prefer and what your uses are.