Which tent for backcountry 2013?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunt solo and with a partner. I will always have my own shelter. I might be 3 miles in, I might be 10 miles in. Weight is very high on the list along with useable space, and durability. My shelter needs to have a floor (nest) in it. I've owned lots of shelters and most recently have hunted out of the Tarp Tent Double Rainbow, Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, and the Shangrila 3. The Lundar Duo probably has the best features. Lots of room, lightweight, double side entry, double vestibule. It is the least "bombproof" of the three. The Double Rainbow is probably the best compromise. Double entry, light, doube vestibule (smaller than Lunar duo though), quicker and easier to put up. The Shangrila 3 has the most room, and can be set so it is the most weather resistant. Single entry, but also the heaviest. Nice to be able to "stand" up in to dress/undress. I still have all 3, and like all 3. My question though, is there something else I should look at? I like to test/try gear, and its time for another shelter. So what do you all suggest? Anything new for 2013?

Factors to consider for me:

1) Weight
2) Size
3) Weatherability.(toughness)..I think I may have made that word up...
4) Number of entries
5) HAS to have a floor
6) Ease of use

Fire away!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Backpack Hunter. I want to go with the inner and outer to keep bugs out, mice from food/bowstrings, etc.

@ Aron. Yes and No :) Why don't you give an opinion both ways. I would imagine a Kiraru tarp and then a bivy? The way we setup last spring was perfect at that time of year. Not a big fan of spiders, snakes, etc. So what about just a tent set-up too.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aron this also gets me thinking this could be another business opportunity for Kifaru! You guys got the brains and resources. Kifaru could own the tarp, backpack, and tent industry!!!! :cool:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I were to choose a shelter from each category (bivy, tarp/bivy, tent, Tarp), these would be my choices.....

Bivy----Big Agnes 3wire

Tarp/Bivy---- Integral Design Bugaboo Bivy and Kifaru Supertarp

Tent---- Hilleberg Akto

Tarp/Floorless Shelter-----Megatarp

crumy

WKR
I have been leaning towards picking up a megatarp for an upcoming hunt in NW Wyoming in Sept. Would you recommend the annex?

Yukondog

WKR
Aron this also gets me thinking this could be another business opportunity for Kifaru! You guys got the brains and resources. Kifaru could own the tarp, backpack, and tent industry!!!! :cool:

Yep, you are right! What would the weight penalty be for adding a floor to the Megatarp and having both ends closeable? My BA Fly Creek 3 weights in a touch under 4lbs. I would think a Megatarp Tent would be a lot less then that PLUS the room would be incredible! As it is right now there is not much room for two guys in my FC.

I think the MegaTent would be the best of all worlds. Sign me up for one.

Matt

jmez

WKR
Big Agnes Fly Creek. Light and small. Not sure on anything else I don't have one but considering it.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I will look into it! The big negative I see right now is the trekking pole for the "foot" end being inside. If this was outside it would be sweet.

OR Archer

WKR
Two tents I have eyed are the Hilleberg Akto and the Easton Kilo 1p. The Easton is lighter but the Hilleberg I believe is going to be more durable. Just a couple for you to take a look at. Lots of good shelters options to consider these days.

I will be rolling with the same tent that I have had for Backpacking for 10 years. It fits two people well and on those solo hunting trips offers plenty of room for me and ALL my gear to be protected. REI Half Dome Plus. The BIG issue is it weighs a TON compaired to the new tents, but I just have enough cash for the licence and gas. I will even have my 6 year old Pronghorns on my feet....

I've used both the Big Agnes Flycreek 1 and 2. This tent totally fits the bill for light wt., free standing, bathtub floor backpacking tent. The 1 man comes in at 2lb. 3oz. while the 2 man is 2lb. 10oz. For a mear 7oz. more, I prefer the 2 man for the extra space. While it's no Hilleberg, it does pretty well in the wind, just not "bomb proof" by any means. Here's a couple of pictures of the 2 man. I'll try and dig some pictures up of the 1 man.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Wrongside

WKR
My question though, is there something else I should look at? I like to test/try gear, and its time for another shelter. So what do you all suggest? Anything new for 2013?

Have you looked at the Seek Outside Little Bug Out? Add a nest to meet with your floor requirement?

My Base and Vestibule w/ stove jack came in the mail the other day and on first inspection, I like it. This one seems like a winner. Light, spacious, modular. Hope too put it to use here soon...