Which tent would you choose, Idaho mule deer??

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Will be hunting solo and want to be a mile or two from trials.

My entire focus will be on a mule deer hunt in Idaho this year. I will start with most of the archery season and then go back for the rifle season if I have not filled my tag.

I’m looking for recommendations on a tent set up. I am wondering what system or tent you all would use during that time frame and why?? Trying to avoid loosing time due to inadequate sleeping or shelter gear!

I would like to find one tent to carry for both seasons, understanding the archery season could be much hotter as well as the rifle season could end up dumping snow.

Really appreciate any of your suggestions as this is a knowledgable group with a lot of experience.

Marble

WKR
3 season tent (it is not winter yet)
2 person ( my preference and room for gear)
Rain fly ( on nights that are warm it can come off, or if you nap during the day with the rain fly off more air comes through)
Has a floor ( pitching in crappy weather it avoids the issue of no floor)
Less than 3 pounds total pack weight with foot print. Closer to 2 would be what I want.

Big agnes comes to mind. But there are others. Hiliberg too.

Don't need a stove
Bivi's no thank you

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
3 season tent (it is not winter yet)
2 person ( my preference and room for gear)
Rain fly ( on nights that are warm it can come off, or if you nap during the day with the rain fly off more air comes through)
Has a floor ( pitching in crappy weather it avoids the issue of no floor)
Less than 3 pounds total pack weight with foot print. Closer to 2 would be what I want.

Big agnes comes to mind. But there are others. Hiliberg too.

Don't need a stove
Bivi's no thank you

Thanks!

archp625

WKR
I went back and fourth on this a couple years ago. Obviously everyone is going to have an opinion. Most will tell you want they have is the best, which is what I'm about to do.

For me backpack camping is all about weight and durability (for safety and comfort reasons). When you look at tents a floorless shelter helps with weight. If you ever think you may want a hunting partner to share a tent so with the SO Cimarron. If they will never be an option get the Eolus of Silex. The Cimarron and Silex have stove options has well.

Reactions: WRM

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Can't go wrong with a Hilleberg Anjan or Nallo, they're heavier than other UL tents but worth the weight IMO. Especially if you are solo.

I’ve been using an REI quarterdome 2 for several years in Idaho. Handles 6” of snow with out issue. I think it’s just about perfect. Plenty of room for me and my gear. having 2 doors and vestibules is nice. Probably tight for two guys but cozy for me and the wife.

Will be hunting solo and want to be a mile or two from trials.

My entire focus will be on a mule deer hunt in Idaho this year. I will start with most of the archery season and then go back for the rifle season if I have not filled my tag.

I’m looking for recommendations on a tent set up. I am wondering what system or tent you all would use during that time frame and why?? Trying to avoid loosing time due to inadequate sleeping or shelter gear!

I would like to find one tent to carry for both seasons, understanding the archery season could be much hotter as well as the rifle season could end up dumping snow.

Really appreciate any of your suggestions as this is a knowledgable group with a lot of experience.
I don’t think you can get a truly valuable answer without letting folks know some things about you first.

1- What is your budget?
2- How far are you packing in?
3- Are you accustom to sleeping cramped?
4- What is your tolerance for cold?
5- How much backpacking experience do you have?

Way down the list for many… Does it matter to you where the tent is made?

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
The one I have been using for awhile is a Tigerwall UL3 from Big Agnes. Doesn't matter if I'm solo or with a partner, it's what I use. Big Agnes makes a few others very similar and they all seem to be very popular.

nphunter

WKR
Depends on how comfortable you want to be and how long you plan to stay. I’ve done a lot of backpacking with a one or two person tent. Even late Nov in ID you don’t have to have a stove, but, if you are planning on several days in one spot a stove and the comfort from the extra room a floorless offers can be well worth the extra weight.

Deer are light so you shouldn’t have an issue packing one out with a sub 10lb sleep system. I have a BA Q-core, SO LBO, lite outdoor stove and a zero deg down bag, all together it’s right around 10lbs give or take depending on the LBO configuration. Honestly a mile or two your only taking a couple hours of waking tops even in nasty country.

Comfort is huge for some people and in cold raining or snowy weather a stove could mean the difference between toughing it out a couple of days and calling it early.

Also a lot depends on if you plan on being mobile or setting up a base camp and hunting from there. If packing to a designated spot and making camp I’d probably lean on the side of comfort, if packing up each morning light and compact are going to be best.

In Archery season a cheap light tent is all you will need. River country in WA makes a great single person tent that is super cheap. I have one I’ve spent dozens of nights in, used silicon spray and coated it and I’ve rode out some pretty crappy storms.

Good luck in ID, it’s an awesome place to hunt. If you have to go back for Rifle go as late as you can!!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I just warranted my BA Seedhouse 2 for a Blacktail 3.
Not that I would recommend the Blacktail,,,,but a
BA of some flavor.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think you can get a truly valuable answer without letting folks know some things about you first.

1- What is your budget?
2- How far are you packing in?
3- Are you accustom to sleeping cramped?
4- What is your tolerance for cold?
5- How much backpacking experience do you have?

Way down the list for many… Does it matter to you where the tent is made?
Great questions.

1. $500
2. I’m planning 1-2 miles and will end up no more than 4 terrain dependent.
3. Yes. I’ve use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 for a long long time and trying to decide if I should upgrade. Even though upgrade may just mean switch designs. Last year I got me and all my gear soaked about 4 miles in. Had to leave that night do to cold. So maybe what I am really trying to figure out is if I need or should us a floorless tent in the later season. I have a titanium stove and a Redcliff yet that tent is too big to pack around for myself.
4. Depends on situation and number of days in the field.
5. A decent amount. Have hunted fly in hunts in AK and backpacked a few hunts around WA and Idaho.
6. Not a dead set rule here.

As I type this I am starting to answer my own questions. I think I’m looking for more space as even though I’ll be solo hunting it’s not my first choice. So I’m looking for more comfort without adding serious weight as my sleeping pad is a bit heavy already.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how comfortable you want to be and how long you plan to stay. I’ve done a lot of backpacking with a one or two person tent. Even late Nov in ID you don’t have to have a stove, but, if you are planning on several days in one spot a stove and the comfort from the extra room a floorless offers can be well worth the extra weight.

Deer are light so you shouldn’t have an issue packing one out with a sub 10lb sleep system. I have a BA Q-core, SO LBO, lite outdoor stove and a zero deg down bag, all together it’s right around 10lbs give or take depending on the LBO configuration. Honestly a mile or two your only taking a couple hours of waking tops even in nasty country.

Comfort is huge for some people and in cold raining or snowy weather a stove could mean the difference between toughing it out a couple of days and calling it early.

Also a lot depends on if you plan on being mobile or setting up a base camp and hunting from there. If packing to a designated spot and making camp I’d probably lean on the side of comfort, if packing up each morning light and compact are going to be best.

In Archery season a cheap light tent is all you will need. River country in WA makes a great single person tent that is super cheap. I have one I’ve spent dozens of nights in, used silicon spray and coated it and I’ve rode out some pretty crappy storms.

Good luck in ID, it’s an awesome place to hunt. If you have to go back for Rifle go as late as you can!!
Thanks for the reply. I like what you had to say and think I’m looking for a little more room and comfort than my current setup.
With a floorless system I am concerned of mosquitoes in the archery season. Up high is that a valid concern?
I’ll take a look at the LBO as I already have a SO titanium stove. Why did you choose that over a cimmeron?
I will probably be mobil during archery season. Depends on how the planning and e scouting goes as water is a concern of mine.

nphunter

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I like what you had to say and think I’m looking for a little more room and comfort than my current setup.
With a floorless system I am concerned of mosquitoes in the archery season. Up high is that a valid concern?
I’ll take a look at the LBO as I already have a SO titanium stove. Why did you choose that over a cimmeron?
I will probably be mobil during archery season. Depends on how the planning and e scouting goes as water is a concern of mine.
I bought the LBO because I can use it with two bases or a base tarp or base, tarp, base depending on the trip. I mostly use it base, base, I actually had a stove jack added in a base so I can use a stove in any configuration. I have two boys and a wife that go with me and we have taken it on a spring bear hunt when we needed a stove and slept on snow but mostly go base, base which is a cinnamon footprint during the summer. I have stayed at several high country lakes in the summer with no mosquito issues but we don’t have major issues anyway.

I wouldn’t want to use a floorless in snake country but bugs don’t really bother me. You could always buy a shelter like Jordan mentioned for summer and use the floor and then take out the floor and use a stove in late Oct.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt Idaho rifle mule deer every year and run either a Silex or a Cimarron depending on conditions and whether I have company. Stove jack in both because I like to be able to dry out after a not unusual wet October day. Stove stays home if no precip forecast. I love the extra floor space for anything longer than an overnighter. Both have been good to me, but lots of similar options are available. For September archery (elk for me), I'll run either of these in wet conditions, or a bivy and tarp in dry.

Elkrunner

FNG
For early season scouting I use the seek Eolus with the nest. For early season hunting I remove the nest. For Mid to late season I use the seek Redcliff with the large ultralight stove. All options are lightweight and packable in your pack.