Which tent would you choose, Idaho mule deer??

IDNate

FNG
If you already have the stove, I agree with the LBO as a great choice. You can mix and match pieces to accommodate an additional person and gear if needed. I run a KUIU Summit Refuge which is a great one man shelter that can also accommodate a stove. You can do two guys with gear in it without the stove but it gets pretty tight with two guys, gear and stove. I am a big fan of a stove when solo later in the season. The ability to warm up and dry out if needed can make a big difference on your ability to stay out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can get an SJK Outpost 4 and sew a stove jack in it for pretty cheap and cover a lot of your requirements. It's just hard to give a solid recommendation when we don't know the general elevation range you're planning on being in. Mid Oct at 3k feet is completely different than mid Oct at 9k feet. Mosquitoes are a non issue at elevation in Idaho, especially once the weather starts cooling down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brn2hnt

WKR
I hunt Idaho rifle mule deer every year and run either a Silex or a Cimarron depending on conditions and whether I have company. Stove jack in both because I like to be able to dry out after a not unusual wet October day. Stove stays home if no precip forecast. I love the extra floor space for anything longer than an overnighter. Both have been good to me, but lots of similar options are available. For September archery (elk for me), I'll run either of these in wet conditions, or a bivy and tarp in dry.
I've got almost the exact same setup, just the Redcliff instead of the Cim.

For me, the silex is fang near perfect for a lightweight shelter. It's a side entry, floorless, can be pitched right down to the ground, and weighs darn near nothing.

That being said, if it's hunting season and anything more than an overnighter, I almost always pack the Redcliff. Hard to beat the space to stretch out, get dressed standing, warm up, you name it. Not to mention the unexplainable (yet very real) morale boost I get from a stove/fire. No matter how the day went, everything feels like it's going to be OK with a fire.

Plus, you said you're only going a mile or two. For a short trip like that no way would I skimp on camp comfort during season.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Couple falls back we hunted ID in Oct., and used the Seek Outside Cimarron with the med box stove. This shelter worked well for us. Light weight, easy setup, and the stove was nice as we dealt with colder temps, snow & rain. It was just my cousin & I, and with 2 guys still had ample room in the shelter for our gear.

Attachments

• SO Cimarron.jpg
    SO Cimarron.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
I'll plug the SO Cimarron too.

Watched my original get flattened by a micro downburst, which broke my brand new carbon fiber pole. Structure of tent not damaged to my eye. Realized stitching to one of stakeouts had ripped when I got home. SO replaced the whole shebang with brand new tent under wty. I had just sent it back to them for repairs. I don't know what they saw, but that is some standout custy svc.

Same trip, after I bandaged the pole best I could, had to ride out an entire night of wet snow. Required constant (every 15 mins) attention from me. Some light, dry snow is not much of an issue, but hours of heavy snow is no bueno. A 4 season shelter it is not.

If you can get over floorless (or don't mind adding a nest), it's a really good choice for 1. You get some real space to stretch out. I can't stand straight up, but a huge improvement over my prior choice.

I'd likely go no zippers now that it's an option.

jihawki1

FNG
i just picked up the Kuiu Mountain Star 2 person 3 Season tent...pricey but so far impressed with the quality and construction will hopefully be using very soon.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
SO LBO, I have a cimarron and it’s great but I like the LBO better.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to do my due diligence in researching tents. I've been stuck on the SO Silex and the Eolus for my Sept. high country CO mule deer hunt. Now after reading these comments, I started thinking about going with a Cim with a stove jack and stove. Hunting above 11000+ that time of year as you know can get pretty cold. If I go with the smaller tarp tents I plan to get a nest. With that said, having a floorless tent is my only concern. I worry about the rain running along the ground and everything is wet on the floor inside. In reality it might not be the case. Also, I plan to hunt with my camp on my back and spike where ever I end up that night unless I have plenty of deer around me. Is the Cim or Redcliff to big for that style of hunt? Also what does everyone use to cut there wood? Carbon handle Hatchet? I am trying to stay super light. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

WRM

WKR
I've been trying to do my due diligence in researching tents. I've been stuck on the SO Silex and the Eolus for my Sept. high country CO mule deer hunt. Now after reading these comments, I started thinking about going with a Cim with a stove jack and stove. Hunting above 11000+ that time of year as you know can get pretty cold. If I go with the smaller tarp tents I plan to get a nest. With that said, having a floorless tent is my only concern. I worry about the rain running along the ground and everything is wet on the floor inside. In reality it might not be the case. Also, I plan to hunt with my camp on my back and spike where ever I end up that night unless I have plenty of deer around me. Is the Cim or Redcliff to big for that style of hunt? Also what does everyone use to cut there wood? Carbon handle Hatchet? I am trying to stay super light. Thanks in advance.

Add a bivy to your arsenal. You get an enclosure in the tent which will add a few degrees to your sleep system. And, you can use it alone as an emergency or overnight spike out shelter. MLD has some nice options.

A Silky pocket saw is a good choice.

brn2hnt

WKR
How much wood is available above 11K? That's gotta be close to timberline or above right?

I'll plug the SO Cimarron too.

Watched my original get flattened by a micro downburst, which broke my brand new carbon fiber pole. Structure of tent not damaged to my eye. Realized stitching to one of stakeouts had ripped when I got home. SO replaced the whole shebang with brand new tent under wty. I had just sent it back to them for repairs. I don't know what they saw, but that is some standout custy svc.

Same trip, after I bandaged the pole best I could, had to ride out an entire night of wet snow. Required constant (every 15 mins) attention from me. Some light, dry snow is not much of an issue, but hours of heavy snow is no bueno. A 4 season shelter it is not.

If you can get over floorless (or don't mind adding a nest), it's a really good choice for 1. You get some real space to stretch out. I can't stand straight up, but a huge improvement over my prior choice.

I'd likely go no zippers now that it's an option.

I would respectfully disagree. I've used my Cimarron in the snow A LOT. Woke up to over 6" on it more times than I can remember.

Doesn't seem fair to judge its performance with a broken pole does it?

Its ability to withstand snow can also come down to your ability to pitch it.